Advice on Minelab training / trainers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boyd you can take my advice, or discard it at your will, the choice is yours mate!

I know you have more intuition than those who need spoon feeding and require an X marks the spot.

Its not that hard to add 2 + 2.....but you need to practice what you watch on film.

Like i said, place tee, sit ball on top, line up club face and swing....solid practice after tuition is the only way you will master!

I shall rest my case now.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Regards

Meta

Hi there all.
I have been wondering if and what training course I should do. I have had my gpx and sdc for about 5 months now and now that the training days are becoming available I'm wondering what I should do. With the time I have already had in the feild I have had a good chance to learn the basics of my machines . Would it be advised that I skip the basic training and go to the intermediate training or is there professionals in the nsw area that do one on one training . Any thoughts are very much appreciated . Thanks guys. Andy :)

Hi I have had many ML detectors from the 2000 up to a 5000 and I have been detecting for 35 years I have been to many of these training days they are good only if you pick up one bit of information it all helps with other detector operators there many ideas are discussed , I find I am still learning and trying different setups to get the most out of my detector ,all the training days I went to were in Victoria regards john :)

So bought a gpx4500 like so many have lately and wondering when would be the best time to do the training day that they offer new detector buyers.

As a newbie to detecting having a little trouble understanding all the different ways to set the machine up.

So far i've used it twice and have no trouble hearing rubbish like spikes, wire and bottle tops. Today i even dug a foot and a half down to find a tin can.

When i was swinging it today it there was a difference in tone every time i swung the coil. I just couldn't keep it quiet like at another spot i detected at. Not sure if there was EMI problems or not. But made me think with that noise how would i ever hear a faint noise from a smaller piece of gold.

Basically I don't understand how to use it yet :(

Most things have a learning curve, so what do others suggest? Would it be better to keep reading the manual and learn from forums and the like or should i do the training course straight away. The basics of how and where to find gold is not really needed just how to use this new tool. What about other training days from other operators. Open to all suggestions

Rick :)

Yep read the manual, read it again, take your machine out, then read the manual a couple more times.
As you become familiar with the machine the jibberish in the manual will start to make sense.

I would suggest getting that bit of familiarity before doing the training day so that you can ask more specific questions on things you just aren't getting from the manual.

I never knew about the training day from Miners Den when I bought mine :(

But having said that I've found that it's been better reading and re-reading the manual a lot. I've understood the discrimination settings a bit better and practiced on items I've put down to see what it finds and what it misses. I've also finally this weekend heard the tones a little better out in the open :D

All I can suggest is keep practicing and asking questions on here, and looking at the youtube videos people have uploaded. It's really helped me out a lot! :)

Other than that I also suggest to dig anything and everything as a beginner. I still am doing it and although I've only found rubbish I find it quite fun.

I'd probably attend a training session if there were still things I didn't understand on the detector, but for the moment I think forums, videos and the manual have all assisted me quite well. It's just a matter of finding a rewarding area now I think! :p

Hi every one, sorry if this isnt the right spot but figured it fit the best here,
So first, i am doing the sydney gpx training day (meets at wattle flat) and just wondering if any one here has done it and what it was like, was a free inclusion when i bought my 4500, i am not doing it till june tho as work is in the way

Secondly, i am driving to sofala the afternoon before the training day as it is only a few kms up the road from wattle flat and was told i camp camp at the bridge in sofala (crossley bridge) on the turon, just on the northern side of the bridge, does anyone know if this is still ok to camp there, just me in a swag for the night, so i can get back to the meeting place before 9am

cheers for any help guys
Jamie

Hey mate u can still camp there, there is plenty of camping along the river and there is also a camp ground at the wattle flat common.
I haven't done my training day yet but many recon it's well worth doin.

thanks mate, yeah i just found the wattle flat camp site online, dont know exactly where it is but i am sure i can find it, i am leaving late Saturday hopefully be out there by around 7pm, for the 9am start Sunday
good to hear people think it is worth it

turn on to Thompson street from Sofala rd and a few k up on the right is the entrance to the north common and there is signage that will direct you to the camp ground

Hi,

Bought a gpx 5000 late last year and did the training at wattle flat. I enjoyed the training and did some days after the day in the area. Just bought a gpz 7000 and looking at going there again for the weekend in March. Will probably stay at hill end though and just drive out to wattle flat and go back to hill end and spend time there.

Cheers