Durikai, Talgai, Thanes creek (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great response thanks so much I will purchase the ACR ResQlink Ive done the reading and the photo from RDD has really sorted things out love the size great to see it against the lighter.

The information and links that have been put on by all is great and they all point to the ACR

Very happy thanks to all who posted as I knew nothing about them at all.

Cheers all
Margaret :)

Hi All,

I am heading out for the day to Warwick this weekend. I figured I would take the misses with me, go for a nice drive out into the Country, have lunch and do some prospecting with my old SD 2000.

I have been to Glendons Campground before, however, I have never been to Duraki or Talgai Forests. I was wondering if my metal detector will be any good out here? or would I be better off panning? (I would rather detect).

I have never found any gold before and I would LOVE to be able to find a 0.2gram (or bigger) :D to show the missis.

I was wondering where people have had the most luck, Talgai or Duraki ? and which is better for detectors?

Does anyone have any tips on specific areas in the forest where I might be able to find my first ever piece ? - It would really make our day lol.

Thanks.

Luke.

Luke I've been to all these areas and your detector will be fine.

Those three fossicking areas are all old goldfields so no area is better than another.

Just go for it. :D

Cheers,

Grant

Thanks Grant! - did you have any luck finding any gold at either of the forests mate?

I just read the weather report for this weekend. Storms! - Typical lol.

Cheers,

Luke.

Hi Luke

We have had some luck at Duarki when you go through first gate head up towards the creek just before you hit the creek head left now your heading to the rabbit fence, it heads around to the right, follow along there are a couple spots to park, follow the wash outs in.

I got a nice piece of gold 1.52g in one of the wash outs, it gets a bit ugly up that end, if you follow any of the wash outs all the way you will end up at the creek.

A spot in Duraki that I think would be good if you get the map and have a GPS in the car the 3rd gate down from glendon is worth a look some white quartz in there but you really need to have your map it can gets close to the no go zone, that's another reason it might be ok.

Talgai we were there last year I had no luck but my husband picked up 2 little nuggets around the rocks along the creek, I would go there rather then Duraki Talgai has alot of ground that can be good going or hard.

The 2 nuggets we got there I believe may have been panned or washed and missed.

Good luck
Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Thank you very much for that post, very informative! I will give it a go this weekend.

I just hope the weather forecast improves as they're forecasting rain/storms :<

Luke.

Is there any access roads to Talgai state forest off Tralee road ?

The government WEB site indicates that you must enter from Big Hill road, but most of the fossicking area runs along Tralee road.

Yeah you can get in there off Tralee road. It's worth punching all the points into your gps as there isnt alot of signage in talgai

Is it down these roads, or other unmarked ones ?

1435735144_access.jpg

There is an unmarked one between those two. The lower one you have marked looks to me like you can't get through anymore. Some good looking ground in there though

Hi mate, was there a couple weeks ago. Someone has knocked over the sign at the gate that I use. But like buck said, it's between the two you have marked there. Nice gold in talgai, but water is a struggle. High clearance 4x4s only

Hey Cecc ... don't you watch the videos you post ?? ... I've just looked at the next post you submitted and the video clearly highlights the fossicking areas ...LOL ... good lord you must have had a good new years eve.

Jaros said:
Yep, i'd say he could lose all his gear and cop a hefty fine if caught out doing what he's doing. Just another lawbreaker in Qld.
Jaros
? 8) :D

Dreamwalking said:
Hey Cecc ... don't you watch the videos you post ?? ... I've just looked at the next post you submitted and the video clearly highlights the fossicking areas ...LOL ... good lord you must have had a good new years eve.

Yeah I saw that, but can't find that particular one on the net, hard for me to see. Yeah mate, still cactus from yesterday.

Latest posts