Minelab Go-Find information, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Does anyone know when the new Go Find series will be available and how much they will be?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Yeah I got told around the 25th May there abouts so goes with what your saying mbasko.

I was playing with the Go-Find 40 today....nice little bit of gear. Was going to take it out this weekend, but thought it may serve better being left in the shop for those stopping in on Saturday, and want to have a look/feel/play.?

Just questioning how these guys are selling the go-find detectors, yet Miners Den are yet to list them on their site/s, and the dealers that are listing don't actually have any stock as yet? :/

Well there I was shopping for a guitar pedal replacement switch at my local electronics store today, when I noticed a lone Minelab Go-find 60 sitting down behind the counter saying "buy me"! I still noticed that Miners Den were still taking orders in these, but apparently some minor dealers have secured a few sets that were on pre-order, they also had the go-find 20 & 40, but considering they are priced pretty good, I went straight to the 60 model. After getting approval from the minister of finances who was still sitting outside in the car, I grabbed the detector and some AA batteries and headed home to check it out.

The main reasoning behind buying such a detector was its portability, small enough to stick in a backpack when cycling or just to keep stowed in the car for those missed opportunities when out for a lazy weekend drive, and the backlit screen was another desirable feature for me.

Here's a few pics of the 60 unpacked and unfolded.

1431920750_img_20150518_131143.jpg

1431920780_img_20150518_131224.jpg

1431920809_img_20150518_131247.jpg

1431920839_img_20150518_131309.jpg

1431920868_img_20150518_131329.jpg

1431920895_img_20150518_131345.jpg

Very compact, check out the size of the glove in comparison.

1431920928_img_20150518_131408.jpg

A nice touch with the battery compartment cover tethered to the handpiece, so no chance of losing it. Takes 4 x AA's

1431921002_img_20150518_131431.jpg

Fully extended and extremely lightweight, almost feels awkward at first after lugging around the Explorer for ages.

1431921091_img_20150518_131455.jpg

Turning on via side slide switch.

1431921142_img_20150518_131521.jpg

Excellent screen backlighting, every detector should have this feature.

1431921417_img_20150518_132628.jpg

My initial concerns were the recovery time over multiple targets after seeing some you tube clips and what appeared to be quite a lag in the response, but I am happy to say that it is quite the opposite. It sounded off clearly over every nail on our rear deck and could also sound off on $1 & $2 coins sitting between the nail heads which is promising. Whilst not expecting mega bucks performance on depth, it will manage to get a repeatable signal on a $1 at a maximum of 9 inches on an air test and also in pinpoint mode pretty much the same depth, after that the signal degrades rapidly. As usual it will be a different case on depth in the real world, when in the ground with mineralisation and other factors at play.

The build is plasticky as expected for the price point, and also considering it is obviously all made from plastic it was never going to be comparable to etrac type build. Like the Go-find 40, the 60 has a pin point mode that can be left locked on vs a momentary switch like on some other units, so essentially can be used for scanning in all-metal mode. The operation and setup is extremely easy to use with 4 search/discrimination modes and 4 target ID tones, kids starting out on these detector should find it a cinch (coming from a big kid). :p

I've downloaded the Android app for the bluetooth connectivity which allows you to operate the detector remotely, and mark finds on google maps amongst other things.

Bluetooth turned on.

1431923297_img_20150518_135317.jpg

Remote control from Galaxy tablet.

1431923373_img_20150518_135228.jpg

Finds mapping.

1431923411_img_20150518_135253.jpg

Saw the 40 at the Mine lab day in Brisbane..

Have to say I was sort of impressed.... And yet, the initial feel is plastic / light but in may way this is not a bad thing.

Would I use it in the scrub = NOPE my first or second choice.

Parks, beach and in teh car = YES.

20 = $199
40 = $299
60 = $399

Chatting with the big ML guys on the day... Their comment was that the 60 is on par with the 705 ?

When pushed - BT / Modified code for Discrimination / Portability / More tweaks for WET SALTY sand....

So really not a 705 replacement but some performance improvements and stability on beaches... But you are also stuck with the presets...

I would be tossing up on the 40 Vs 60 :)

rocketaroo said:
Which retailer, and how much? Thinking of getting my youngest son one, for xmas.

A local jaycar shop associated with Leading Edge Electronics group, so I guess any retailer under that group may sell them. The 60 was $399.

I guess when you look at the price you know its going to be close to entry level - as far as saying its like the 705 you can change coils on it being the main difference. As for performance on the beach there both using vflex so results will be similar. If you want the portability and mapping the its a go. It would be interesting to see the recovery speed between the 705 and go find

rocketaroo said:
I wouldnt be happy, to be told, that it was on par with my 705.

As I stated / implied not on par with the 705 but a number of features offer some advantage over the 305 / 505 and 705.

As to sand wet with salt water, have been told by a few that it is much improved... It is not weather proof, but the coil is water proof.

But you have to get over the light plastic feel.

705 you can play with settings and notches. 60 = mostly pre set...

Change a coil on 705 20/40/60 = NO

Built-in BT to Apple or Android or headphones / able to map / backlight is good AND these are all features that the 705 and lower do not have...

And if you want tone only = put into full-time Pin Point mode - ( like a fancy excal - Pinpoint or Disc )

Happy to swing a 705 in the bush... Would not swing one of these in the bush

I personally don't think the go-find 60 matches the x-terra range for depth and recovery speed from limited detecting around the yard on some targets (used to own a 305). Considering they are priced close or under the x-terra range I wouldn't expect the same performance, you are mainly paying for the portability and ease of use for what is a basic coin detector. Though depth isn't everything, and most modern coinage and some pre-decs will be relatively shallow which will be its main forte.

Just had another fossick around the yard, and the first coin for the 60 was a 5c, but happily managed to pull out a 1942 penny from about 5" down. It appears this detector is mainly effective to around 5" to 7" max in normal search mode, depending on the size of the coin/orientation, anything after that is a guess and will require pinpoint mode to detect coin sized targets any deeper. You do get the odd high tone falsing on rusted iron targets as you can see from a few old nails that I dug up.

1431935673_img_20150518_171905.jpg

The 705 does has backlighting. ;)

Thanks for an honest and detailed report on this detector Goldpick. My wife has sort of been bitten by the detecting bug lately after swinging an old XT17000 a few times. I was thinking that maybe one of these new detectors might be a good birthday present for her....you just made the decision a little easier....I will buy one for myself instead :D
I reckon I know the store your talking about, did they have any more 60's in there or did you get their only one?

Cheers

They are a good looking little detector for portability. I reckon they will be ok. I would have bought one but got myself a Quattro for a good price and I can only use one detector at a time. Good luck with it I hope it does the job well. Cheers, Rick

MJB said:
Thanks for an honest and detailed report on this detector Goldpick. My wife has sort of been bitten by the detecting bug lately after swinging an old XT17000 a few times. I was thinking that maybe one of these new detectors might be a good birthday present for her....you just made the decision a little easier....I will buy one for myself instead :D
I reckon I know the store your talking about, did they have any more 60's in there or did you get their only one?

Cheers

No problem, still getting to grips with the 60, it's certainly not a powerhouse detector, but still good fun having a look for some spendables as an entry level machine. Took it out for a while tonight just popping shallow targets with a screw driver, must have picked a park full of aluminium with only 20c, 5c, some lead and a key for my efforts, and a ton of can slaw before the rain set in. The backlit screen is extremely bright, so much so that I turned it off and just went by the tones and the LED meter at the top of the screen, which flashes green when a desirable target is picked up by the coil.

I bought the 60 from Anvil Electronics, I believe they only have a go-find 20 and 40 left in stock, but the 40 only differs in 1 less sensitivity setting, and one less search mode (3 tones), everything else is pretty much the same (bar some accessories which are not essential). The main thing is at least the 40 has the pinpoint mode which I think is essential on this detector for scoping out questionable deeper targets, I don't think I'd like to own the 20 without this function. :)

Thanks mate,

I will head down there and see what they have and if they are getting more in stock.

Have you been to RM Electronics in Naracoorte since you have moved back down here? He is a Minelab dealer and has all Minelab detectors in stock, worth paying him a visit if you have not already

Cheers,
Matt

Latest posts