At Pro back light

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to rig up a way to light the screen of an AT Pro for night detecting. I have been out recently but once it gets nearly dark its hopeless trying to read the screen. I was thinking of a strip of tiny led's around the rim of the casing, what. What have others done? If you have an alternative idea, please let me know. I, like others want of get to the parks in my town but after the pubs shut because of the prying eyes.

Look forward to hearing how you have created a light.

I have seen some on other sites. When I night detect I wear a headlamp and just aim it at the screen when needed. I agree a back light would be a big plus for the At Pro.

Few options mate. I use the safety glasses- got them from Masters donks ago.

Headlamp, like RJ posted.
LED baseball cap
Safety glasses that have two small LED lights on the side (that switch off for daytime use)

Edit - I might add, the 4500 has a back light, but if the battery is getting low by late afternoon, I wack on the glasses.

Thanks fellas. I wanted to get away from the "walking" ad for detecting as the place I want to detect is literally straight across the road from the local pub - with the diners looking out the huge window that over looks that park. [If someone watching gets their Knickers in a knot, I get a visit from the local copper who comes over so as to be seen to do "something"] I was hoping someone might have an idea of how to run a small strip of leds [they'd have to be tiny] around the housing.
I was thinking that maybe a small strip of plastic or the like could be attached to the housing and then attach the strip of lights to it. what do you think? Just a thought.

You could tape a small led torch, to the detector top shaft. Would just need to pack it, to get the right angle.

My head lamp has a red led as well as 3 settings for the white. With the red one on it is plenty of light to detect by but not bright enough to attract too much attention. It's a Coleman I think.

1427615528_headlamp.jpg

Thanks folks. The red led's a great idea. I really don't know whats available in the market. Country living's great but not for keeping up with whats on the market. Hey BTW, just back from the local park and had a quick swing on the tot lot next door, got 2x$2, and a 1936 KGV penny. Gotta be happy with that.

Tas - I see the dilemma you are in. What about lumo sticks. You can get the really small ones and perhaps tape them on as a quick fix?

Goldpick, I'm that good with electronics, I didn't want to take the cover off my old scorpion in case I stuffed it up, but the concept of the light on the Ace has set me thinking. I'm going to Adelaide today so if I pass an electronics place I'll call in. Never know what I might find. As I said I went out to the park last night which has the playground next door. Found if I stayed behind the Locomotive that is in the tot lot I could "hide" from peering eyes and at least get some of that detected. And up came the 1936 KGV penny.
Loamer, that Electronics shop might also have a small lumo stick too - so you never know. Might be able to get something rigged up to get around the hassle. Thanks fellas.

I ended up with a strip led that sticks to something, a battery stack for the 8 AA's to light it and a box to hold the batteries. Now all I have to do is work out how to fix it all to the AT Pro shaft. When I sort it out I'll take a photo and upload it. [BTW, got the stuff from Jaycar in Adelaide.]

Hi Ramjet, Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing the results too. The Led will only provide a soft light which I'm hoping will be enough. The other issue is to try to house it so that its not bulky etc on the shaft. anyway, will get to work on it and let you know how I get on. [Think I will probably make a small bracket out of thin boxtubing to bolt to the shaft to hold the box with the batteries in and attach the switch to. Don't know yet how I'll use the strip light.]

BTW, the stuff from Jaycar cost me less than $20.

Hi R. I will take a picky tonight after I go out to test it out. Maybe I'll have a coin or two to tell you about too. Here's hoping it works.

Ramjet, I took the photo last night and ........dropped the camera. O...Oh! The photos on the camera but I cant transfer it to my computer, so I'll take another one tonight with my SLR and flick it to you so you can see the effect. Last night I only used the light to check the ID values. The face was lit up nicely but the glare added extra lamination that just needed to be suffered. A whole lot better than no light at all. I still only dug the high tones and checked them to see what the target may have been. Worked well. And this was done in the pitch black at about 9.15pm.

Sadly didn't get much, only a 2c piece and a few bottle tops. Because there was something happening at the Council chambers too, which is also a cross the road from the park, I stayed in the shadows of the trees. Fair dinkum, I don't know, can a bloke just enjoy his pastime, without all the hassles!

Latest posts