Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree some damn help from minelab would be nice and maybe some accessories like an official minelab cover considering how much you pay for it.

Edit to add. And a bloody paper manual to take out bush would be nice instead of stupid quick start pamphlet.

whats notable is the majority of gold i see coming from GPZ 7000s is ironstone laden specimen, i think this is a slight change form gold we saw from the gpx 5000. Every day i see more and more ironstone reefs being pulled up in wa. These finds are by reputable prospectors working their claims. These guys will not be sharing their success for some many months but they are doing well in areas which they know is deeper ground. why would they want to feed the fire that sees prospectors walking onto their claims all year round.... for the blokes that thought they would pull gold out of ground that has been worked thoroughly by good operators using a 5000 they are mostly disappointing and are probably more angry with themselves for getting wrapped up in the spin.

look forward to your findings Wal

1426679730_images.jpeg

found this doing a image search on google ,,, DOD ,, insides

I could not believe it just watched a video on the another forum 2 blokes digging a target then hay presto its gone the detector has balanced it out regards john :)

If you watch the video he appears to pump the coil over the target to pinpoint it. This may be why it balanced out or he may also have inadvertently hit the quick track button? If it occurred due to the pumping action you're either going to have to keep your holes wide, use the coil edge or get a good pinpointer?
The poster above the video post also says flicking into normal stops it happening - it had happened to him also in difficult mode. He also talks about not using the quick track button but leaving it to auto track - something that was also mentioned earlier in the thread. He also says a cover over the quick track button would be good making me think that maybe people are inadvertently hitting it or just using it/overusing it out of habit?
There has to be a plausible reason as there has been a lot of subgrammers being found with it & they aren't being tracked out. Big Nugget on here got a 0.06 gram nuglet & if it was going to track something out you would think it would be those small, fainter ones?
For mine I reckon it's the pumping action over the target & could come down to adjusting recovery techniques to suit an entirely new machine? Moving away from PI techniques or things that you can do with a PI but not necessarily with the GPZ will be a bit of a learning curve to start with?
Would be interesting to see them return & recover the target.
The vid:
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/PUE2l7xtUoo[/video]

Funny that it tracked it out. Poor tracking setting choice would be the most likely culprit as you say Matt. By the looks of it, they have two Zed's there also. I wonder if they re-checked or found the target with the second machine?

I was actually yelling at the screen for him to re-balance beside the hole! lol. Sometimes these videos are just frustrating to watch. :rolleyes:

Usually when I lose one so clear, a quick check on the pick magnet normally locates the offending target. Can't say I've ever tracked one out on the SDC or GPX -to the point of losing it altogether.

I wonder where that hole is? I'd have that target out in seconds with the old SDC ;)
Cheers,
Shauno.

Syndyne said:
I was actually yelling at the screen for him to re-balance beside the hole! lol. Sometimes these videos are just frustrating to watch. :rolleyes:

Yeah that was pretty frustrating to watch,especially knowing they could have switched over to manual balancing and balanced of to the side.

To me it looked like at first a poorly ground balanced effort swinging over a clay dome.
I struggle to think any machine could track out a metal target that was giving off such a signal.

Notice how when he first swings it doesn't double sound? It just gives off a rising sound on one sweep and a dipping on the next sweep.

I also notice a lot of vids where people are trying to pinpoint with the outer edge of the coil- this does'nt work on a DD as we all know, and looks like the super d has the similar effect.

The other annoying thing about the vid is how old mate hacks into the ground, I usually scrape with the pointy end- make a series of grooves then spin the pick around and scrape the burden away. Makes for a nice flat surface for the coil to slide on.

Oh and that kiwi accent!

Just my thoughts.

mbasko said:
The poster above the video post also says

That would be me :D

For me it did track out and my GB was done side to side away from any targets and the machine had been used well over an hour by the time the target came along
I know I didnt hit the GB on the fly as I made a point of it to me in not doing so , I have since then changed the user button to fixed GB just in-case it happens again

Cheers Marty

Thanks for the feedback Marty.
Sounds like a good idea if I'm reading it right - leave in auto tracking when searching then hit the user button changing back to manual/fixed when you get a target? Quick easy solution.

Might not have been balanced in the first place and he smashed the signal up . Should be in fixed after yoive found a target anyway. Not enought info.

Two things I noticed in that video:

1. At the instant the signal disappears (the 2:00 mark of the video), there is a small but clear double-blip sound. What's that about?

2. The coil is mostly being pushed backwards and forwards as though it's a mono with equal sensitivity all around the edge. As the Bruce Candy cutaway pic makes clear, the front-to-back centre area of the GPZ coil is empty, with a double-d crossover/loop on either side. Perhaps this coil design only works properly in a side-to-side direction? Who knows how it might react to a small central target, when being pushed and pulled instead of swung. :eek:
1426759799_gpz_coil_internals.jpeg

My take: he's partially dug out a hot spot, possibly a clay dome and then whatever was left in the hole is eventually ground balanced by continually pumping up and down. You can hear when he then goes over the pile of soil, it initially makes a bit of a noise, then is also tracked out. Nothing unusual there.

Well we have 2 more GPZ7000 detectors in stock for sale, for anyone tempted by the Z.:)

Cheers.
Lee.
ps. Easter holidays, a new Zed, sounds interesting times ahead.....

Heatho said:
I think the GPZ is a beast and is proving itself, though yes I agree it's for deeper ground. Any surfaced/shallow areas that have been flogged by GPX's and SDC's will have very little left for the GPZ. In deeper or virgin ground it will do really well I believe.

There are many variables that dictate whether there are any nuggets left for the GPZ or not. I've seen it first hand. In one extreme, one spot has yielded over 20 pieces, to the other end of the scale where a particular spot hasn't produced any colour....yet. I have found several small nuggets below a gram that were beyond the capabilities of both the GPX and SDC.

PhaseTech said:
Heatho said:
I think the GPZ is a beast and is proving itself, though yes I agree it's for deeper ground. Any surfaced/shallow areas that have been flogged by GPX's and SDC's will have very little left for the GPZ. In deeper or virgin ground it will do really well I believe.

There are many variables that dictate whether there are any nuggets left for the GPZ or not. I've seen it first hand. In one extreme, one spot has yielded over 20 pieces, to the other end of the scale where a particular spot hasn't produced any colour....yet. I have found several small nuggets below a gram that were beyond the capabilities of both the GPX and SDC.

Fair enough Nenad, was just conjecture on my part. I have been offered a test run on a GPZ by a very very generous forum member and may have to take him up on the offer when I get a chance soon. Only problem I see is that I will like it too much and then have to buy one. :)

Do it, do it, and don't worry, I have lots of things I want to buy that I can't afford. New car, boat, European holiday.... :eek:

Latest posts