Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If out of warranty, and you have no joy tracking down the details, it may pay to check the connection from the speaker to the main board. The plug connection at the main board itself may be loose, or the solder joints at the speaker end may be loose or the wires may have completely parted ways with the speaker. Was it a sudden fault like your brothers, or did the speaker start to play up over time? Not sure if the above pic is exactly the same, but should be similar (only internal x-terra photo I could find on the net).

Just ensure you don't touch the electronics on the main board due to possible static build up.

1426406723_705speaker.jpg

Only if the warrantee registration was done.; usually online. A phone call to them should do the trick.

Three similar failures sounds like a common problem to me, mine is intermittently failing but works with the headphones so I am putting it down to loose wiring/soldering.

Please let us know how you go with minelab as I need to make a similar call.

The headphone plug has contacts on it that need to close to make the speaker work. If you often use headphones, the contacts can loose their springyness and then they don't contact properly when the headphone plug is removed. If your tricky, you can bend them a little to make the contact better.

AuMan

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful. My detector really had not had much work, probably only 25 hours all up, only half of that with headphones. The speaker had stopped working suddenly.
Sheryl

same thing happened to me with our xterra seemed it was a speaker lead as I took them off buffed them up and bingo haven't had an issue since

Hi guys I'm thinking about purchasing a x-terra 705 duel. For both gold/relic/coin hunting. I know all detectors in the right sense are good. Just after a couple of opinions about his kind of model. Thanks

Hey mate, if I had to buy one again I would just buy the gold pack. The DD coil was all i used, that and a 15" WOT coil from coiltek. My reason behind this is the ability to pin point with the DD coil is so easy in comparison to the centric coil the duel comes with. Not only that its cheaper. Maybe some others can add there 2c

I too tend to use the DD coil, even on the beach (just have to remember it is not waterproof like the centric coil).

Hi, I used to be on this forum awhile ago but have been out of the prospecting hobby for a while and have sold my GPX awhile ago. Im looking at getting back into it slowly this time, so I was looking at getting a Minelab X-Terra 705. My question is I will most likely only use it west of Bendigo when I go visit family in the area. Is this model going to be suitable for that area? Im only wanting to spend around 1k at the moment and maybe upgrade next year. Ive never used any other model part from my GPX, are these cheaper models a realistic purchase or will I just be bush walking with a pole? Thanks

From what I have read..the 705 can find gold. Minelab say so, and there vids on youtube. But guys who regularly hunt gold, suggest that it cant cope with the mineralisation well enough.

Thanks for the reply. That was my concern, however most of the reviews are good which makes me tempted to give one a go. Hopefully someone on this forum has had success in Vic with one in regards to gold, which would give me a little more confidence.

Yep! I agree with rocketaroo, I have one and I have found the yella stuff but we start to struggle as the ground get too mineralised.

Would I have another? probably, when I weigh up the cost Vs finds, but a big find and a GPZ is on the way, otherwise I need to plead my case to the minister of everything.......... not going well so far :mad:

I'm heading into the GT in a couple of weeks for a month. My primary is a GPX5000, but I'm also taking the 705 duel. Going to try it on a few mullock heaps and see how it goes, it will be its first run.

Will post what I find - problems and finds if any.

I found myself digging a lot of empty holes with the 705 even on the lowest sensitivity, very frustrating and no gold.

Then I got an SDC 2300 and get gold every outing.
So my advice would be find a cheap pulse induction machine and stay away from the VLF machines for mineralised ground.

If you just want to hunt specimens, they're not to bad, nothing worse than finding specie's then looking down the side of a hill and saying to yourself,
"If I only had of spent the extra bucks I could be searching that deeper ground down the bottom" 8.(

hi all. Me and my partner are new up detecting she has the 705. No nuggets found as yet but interested to know in prospecting mode finding gold is it a high pitch pinging or a low dull noise when going over a nugget. :D

It should, make the same sound as a small sinker I believe. You can run iron masking, in prospecting mode as well.

Latest posts