Best Coil for an F1A/ GP 3500 in WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Just looking for an opinion on which coil I should be adding to the stock 8inch mono set I currently have. I'm not one to change coils, so which coil should I be taking to WA to have a bit of fun with a mod level 2 F1A4, or should I be selling and upgrading if i'm hitting the big time WA spots? I guess similar to SD2200 users...

Southern WA is mainly flat country and the best coil is a mid range like a NF14" round or NF 17"x11". Kimberly region is more mountainous and most gold is in small narrow creeks where a large coil won't assist you much....Sadie and 11" is all you need up there....but a 14"round can do well on the shoulders of the creeks.

Wal.

Tks Wal, was looking at the NF14's, but may have to investigate the Sadie 11". You have validated my thoughts I think, a 14 appears to be the definite "should have" coil.

k man said:
Never been to WA but the NF 14 mono runs pretty sweet on my mod 2.good luck twapster clean up.

Tks Kman, I figure if they were finding gold 30 years ago with PI's, why not try with the F1A4, if I can get a nugget find on video Ill be chuffed, just want to have the right coil combo.

Can't wait to see the picks mate.I think your gunna be in the right spot with the right gear.would love to see the f1 smash out a big WA multi ounce nugg.good luck ;)

Twapster said:
k man said:
Never been to WA but the NF 14 mono runs pretty sweet on my mod 2.good luck twapster clean up.

Tks Kman, I figure if they were finding gold 30 years ago with PI's, why not try with the F1A4, if I can get a nugget find on video Ill be chuffed, just want to have the right coil combo.

I have a Detech 15 x 12 SEF Butterfly coil that tests well around the park but haven't tried it in the field as yer. Jack Lange was testing it with the F1A4M2 when I purchased the unit and he said when i rang him that it was great, nice and quiet with good depth for a DD config. The only prob was that the coil costs $350-00.
Jaros--Twapster how is the F1A4M2 going for you mate.
:p

Jaros said:
Twapster said:
k man said:

I have a Detech 15 x 12 SEF Butterfly coil that tests well around the park but haven't tried it in the field as yer. Jack Lange was testing it with the F1A4M2 when I purchased the unit and he said when i rang him that it was great, nice and quiet with good depth for a DD config. The only prob was that the coil costs $350-00.
Jaros--Twapster how is the F1A4M2 going for you mate.
:p

Fixed a battery issue that had me stumped, she is now ready for service!

How long is a piece of string? All coils are good and have a purpose. I quite like the 18" NF coil, still nice and light and goes deeper on those bigger bits that get missed by all those that don't venture beyond the standard 11" coil that came with their detectors. Round coils will always provide best depth.
The standard coil that comes with the f1 is actually quite sensitive and I think from memory quite comparable to the sadie coil on a level 2.

AuMan

AuMan said:
How long is a piece of string? All coils are good and have a purpose. I quite like the 18" NF coil, still nice and light and goes deeper on those bigger bits that get missed by all those that don't venture beyond the standard 11" coil that came with their detectors. Round coils will always provide best depth.
The standard coil that comes with the f1 is actually quite sensitive and I think from memory quite comparable to the sadie coil on a level 2.

AuMan

Tks AUMan, yes Ive been told the 8 inch is a good one and sensitive on the smaller stuff, so Im after a complement to the arsenal that may punch deeper on bigger targets but bearing in mind I wont be changing coils, I don't want to skip over 1-2 gram targets jus to find the elusive coke can nugget.....between the 14 and the 18 which would you suggest for a WA trip?

Geez, you make it tough! Probably the 14" would be the best all rounder, though you should really get into the habit of changing coils. Deeper ground to the bedrock use a larger coil, shallow ground, use a small coil.

AuMan

AuMan said:
Geez, you make it tough! Probably the 14" would be the best all rounder, though you should really get into the habit of changing coils. Deeper ground to the bedrock use a larger coil, shallow ground, use a small coil.

AuMan

So now the only other issue is round or elliptical? Ive heard the round is slightly better but unsure why this would be.

Round coil for sure! The reason they are better it when a target is at the extreme of the coils depth, the response is received by the whole coil. The target has to be in the centre of the coil. With an elliptical, a target at depth will only induce a response into parts of the coil, so a lot of signal is lost.
Ellipticals however are more sensitive on the tips to smaller targets compared to round coils.

AuMan

Tks for the advice, 14 round will be my next purchase...then i'll look for an 18 if I can find a cheap one!

There were a few cheapies floating around on ebay a few weeks ago, but it seems now that everything has gone back to the normal prices. Good luck!

AuMan

Hey Au Man
what do you think of the PMCOILS, i have a F1A4 which i have moded the coil connector, added a Quick balance button and changed the earphone conector, still trying to figure out other mods but have hit a wall (for now).
Any Help would be muchly appreciated
Kind Regards
Boyd

bmzgold said:
Hey Au Man
what do you think of the PMCOILS, i have a F1A4 which i have moded the coil connector, added a Quick balance button and changed the earphone conector, still trying to figure out other mods but have hit a wall (for now).
Kind Regards
Boyd

Don't know about them, never tried one and it is not high on my priority list.
Nuggetfinder is my first choice for coils, they will bolt straight up to a standard f1 lower stem, but make sure you use some sort of a spacer to go between the coil ears so it tightens up properly and doesn't just squeeze the mounting ears in. I use a piece of 3/4" wooden dowel with a 7mm hole in it, 22mm long.

Auman

bmzgold said:
Hey Au Man
Kind Regards
Boyd

ive got nothing nice to say about pmcoils ,, other than to say avoid them and put your money to better use ,,,

Pmcoils is asic listed and in disolvency ,

Just FYI I picked up 16" round Coiltek from a forum member, lost the issues I had with the smaller 8" with ironstone and it seemed to be really quiet/sweet yet twanged on some pretty deep small targets. Very happy.

Latest posts