You are not logged in.

  • Register to access all forum features  

#1

Treasuredown
Guest
Guest
08 March 2015 11:47 pm

Just watched this video on cleaning coins. Would be interested in comments from anyone who's tried it and how it went. Is this recommended for cleaning coins? Is it advisable to clean your finds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPIZAcvM8bw

Cheers

#2

Ramjet
Moderator
From: Maitland, NSW
Joined: 19 February 2013
Posts: 11,718
Moderator
09 March 2015 02:18 am

Hey Treasuredown. Check this thread. I put a heap of links to cleaning coins in it. Electrolysis is covered.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=9807


Touch the Frog.
Garrett At Pro, XP Deus, CTX 3030, pin pointer. Oldest find 1807 halfpenny, oldest silver 1854 threepence.

#3

Treasuredown
Guest
Guest
15 March 2015 07:31 pm

Ramjet wrote:

Hey Treasuredown. Check this thread. I put a heap of links to cleaning coins in it. Electrolysis is covered.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=9807

Thanks Ramjet!

Always appreciate your words of wisdom!

#4

Ben78
Member
Joined: 18 February 2013
Posts: 913
Member
15 March 2015 08:41 pm

Best to not clean coins. Vinegar, Coke, Sauce and Electrolysis are all methods that damage coins.


Digging for gold in the Peel Fault. Currently using Gold Bug SE and all sorts of other paraphernalia!

1 user likes this post: Ramjet

#5

Oldfella
Member
From: Mid North Coast, NSW
Joined: 09 June 2014
Posts: 436
Member
15 March 2015 08:48 pm

I have had good results using a pencil eraser, takes a bit of rubbing but brings most coins up good.

Cheers


GPX5000, Eureka Gold, Tesoro Lobo with Dingo upgrade.

#6

PabloP
Member
From: Melbourne or travelling
Joined: 18 January 2015
Posts: 606
Member
15 March 2015 08:49 pm

Ben78 wrote:

Best to not clean coins. Vinegar, Coke, Sauce and Electrolysis are all methods that damage coins.

As a coin collector I agree, to an extent. The aim is to clear off all non-coin surface material and all those methods etch into the coin surface. But clearly you need to be able to do some form of basic cleaning to be able to identify and classify the coin correctly.

Another BUT, if you aren't a serious collector, then use whatever method that you are happy with and that is safe to use.

Rob.


My Avatar is my kind of gold -- SDC 2300, Xterra 705, GPZ 7000

1 user likes this post: Wally69

#7

Goldpick
Moderator
From: Mount Gambier
Joined: 07 November 2013
Posts: 5,847
Moderator
15 March 2015 09:02 pm

PabloP wrote:
Ben78 wrote:

Best to not clean coins. Vinegar, Coke, Sauce and Electrolysis are all methods that damage coins.

As a coin collector I agree, to an extent. The aim is to clear off all non-coin surface material and all those methods etch into the coin surface. But clearly you need to be able to do some form of basic cleaning to be able to identify and classify the coin correctly.

Another BUT, if you aren't a serious collector, then use whatever method that you are happy with and that is safe to use.

Rob.

I agree, most coins that come out of the ground aren't in a state that is worth anything to a collector, and there are plenty of coins being sold on the market that are in excellent circulated or uncirculated condition. I am happy to clean most of my coins purely as keepsakes from my detecting adventures. Probably the only coins that I don't touch are older bronze coins in excellent condition with a nice patina, or some of the early silvers that come out of the ground in nearly the same state as when they were dropped. smile


Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, Minelab Go-Find 60, Minelab Profind, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

#8

rocketaroo
Member
Joined: 11 January 2015
Posts: 4,349
Member
15 March 2015 09:05 pm

Was thinking I would check for rarity before cleaning. Clean looks better :-)


Greg from Newcastle NSW, XP Deus rocks. Oldest Coin English 1853 Silver Groat/four pence.

#9

Treasuredown
Guest
Guest
16 March 2015 05:35 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Always appreciate your experience being openly shared with us newbys

1 user likes this post: Ramjet
Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site

Top