You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Treasuredown
08 March 2015 11:47 pm

Just watched this video on cleaning coins. Would be interested in comments from anyone who's tried it and how it went. Is this recommended for cleaning coins? Is it advisable to clean your finds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPIZAcvM8bw

Cheers

Ramjet
09 March 2015 02:18 am

Hey Treasuredown. Check this thread. I put a heap of links to cleaning coins in it. Electrolysis is covered.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=9807

Touch the Frog.
Garrett At Pro, XP Deus, CTX 3030, pin pointer. Oldest find 1807 halfpenny, oldest silver 1854 threepence.

Treasuredown
15 March 2015 07:31 pm

Ramjet wrote:

Hey Treasuredown. Check this thread. I put a heap of links to cleaning coins in it. Electrolysis is covered.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=9807

Thanks Ramjet!

Always appreciate your words of wisdom!

Ben78
15 March 2015 08:41 pm

Best to not clean coins. Vinegar, Coke, Sauce and Electrolysis are all methods that damage coins.

Digging for gold in the Peel Fault. Currently using Gold Bug SE and all sorts of other paraphernalia!

1 user likes this post: Ramjet

Oldfella
15 March 2015 08:48 pm

I have had good results using a pencil eraser, takes a bit of rubbing but brings most coins up good.

Cheers

GPX5000, Eureka Gold, Tesoro Lobo with Dingo upgrade.

PabloP
15 March 2015 08:49 pm

Ben78 wrote:

Best to not clean coins. Vinegar, Coke, Sauce and Electrolysis are all methods that damage coins.

As a coin collector I agree, to an extent. The aim is to clear off all non-coin surface material and all those methods etch into the coin surface. But clearly you need to be able to do some form of basic cleaning to be able to identify and classify the coin correctly.

Another BUT, if you aren't a serious collector, then use whatever method that you are happy with and that is safe to use.

Rob.

My Avatar is my kind of gold -- SDC 2300, Xterra 705, GPZ 7000

1 user likes this post: Wally69

Goldpick
15 March 2015 09:02 pm

PabloP wrote:
Ben78 wrote:

As a coin collector I agree, to an extent. The aim is to clear off all non-coin surface material and all those methods etch into the coin surface. But clearly you need to be able to do some form of basic cleaning to be able to identify and classify the coin correctly.

Another BUT, if you aren't a serious collector, then use whatever method that you are happy with and that is safe to use.

Rob.

I agree, most coins that come out of the ground aren't in a state that is worth anything to a collector, and there are plenty of coins being sold on the market that are in excellent circulated or uncirculated condition. I am happy to clean most of my coins purely as keepsakes from my detecting adventures. Probably the only coins that I don't touch are older bronze coins in excellent condition with a nice patina, or some of the early silvers that come out of the ground in nearly the same state as when they were dropped. smile

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, Minelab Go-Find 60, Minelab Profind, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

rocketaroo
15 March 2015 09:05 pm

Was thinking I would check for rarity before cleaning. Clean looks better :-)

Greg from Newcastle NSW, XP Deus rocks. Oldest Coin English 1853 Silver Groat/four pence.

Treasuredown
16 March 2015 05:35 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Always appreciate your experience being openly shared with us newbys

1 user likes this post: Ramjet
Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site