Minelab GP3000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one when they were the latest. Was good using the Coiltek 14 inch round DD. Simple machine compared to my 5000. I used it in tracking as it was not great where I detected in fixed as the ground was/is too variable. I never hovered over targets multiple times so that the tracking could balance it out. I got a target, couple of sweeps and then id dig. It wouldn't bal out a solid target but might a very faint iffy one with multiple/several coil sweeps. Go slow was the main thing. Ill be honest though, I reckon I have forgotten a bit about it since then, was a while ago. But was a good machine. No dif between it and an Extreme really, or a 3500 for that matter. The 35 handled fixed a little bit better, that was all.

I had a GP Extreme for a number of years and loved it, it was one of the later ones so was essentially a 3000, it found me some nice pieces back in early 2000.

I only sold it because i broke my neck and have only managed to get back into metal detecting the last 2 years.
I am currently using a SD2200V2 i refurbished and am very happy with. Very similar to the Extreme from memory, easy to use, go nice and slow and listen to your targets i use it in fixed tracking and ground balance as i move around, i am going to add a tracking button mod to it soon. I have already popped some great stuff (relics) with it, wont be long and i will be on the gold :rolleyes: :rolleyes: haha

Could anyone tell me if its practical to beach and park detect with gp3000and hints and settings to do so

Not sure for coins etc. but am told it's an excellent unit for gold. I guess if it finds gold it'll pick up coins.

Just sold mine for $2200 great detector all the same a bit sensitive on noisey ground
I kept the SD2100 it doesn't false as much as the 3000 because it's not as sensitive to small targets but the GP3000 with tracking button fitted is a serious all round detector and can be picked up for around $2000-$3000

Hi guys I am looking at investing in a Minelab PI.

The last one I owned was an SD 2200.

Would it be better for me to jump to a GPX 4500 or will a Minelab GP be ok?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

A Whites TDI Pro Oz Series with 6" coil and Nugget finder coil sold for $1350 today on ebay.

I did not make the purchase.

Cheers

Joe

if $ is not a problem then the GPXs are a good buy. if you are on a tighter budget the SDs are a good detector and i still rate the 2200D as one of the best. i have aid it before and myself included - lost of us upgraded but kept the 2200D as a back up. they are excellent, easy to use and learn on and very forgiving. on the central goldfields of victoria monos are a big problem with the SDs they dont cope very well. The GPXs of course are great with monos. the next trick will be to find one for sale.

cant comment on the TDIs but the boys at Goldsearch at Dunolly are the national distributors and they could give you more advice. nice blokes and right in the middle of the Dunolly fields.

bought a gp extreme and install the push button mod now would like to know more tricks to be ready for first outing here in BC Canada. and yes the ground is heavily mineralised at time.

Hi all I am trying to find out if I can just plug in an external speaker to my 3000 or do I need an amplifier as well? I have come across conflicting info, so I thought I'd ask the experts ;)

Your pretty much going to need an amp. A speaker will work, but at reduced volume because headphones were the initial conveyer of the audio.

Im selling an LT booster to suit a GP3000. Has a built in voltage meter as well.
See the Sponsor Trades section.

Any known common faults with this? It just seems to have given up....no sound at all. Checked the battery, delivering 7.5v (Li ion camera battery) checked the headphone plug, all seems ok, and used a new set of headphones with it, still nothing. are there any internal fuses? he said hopefully!