Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 4500 only has one sticker on the bottom and it's the serial number. No security sticker at all. There is a small "date tested" sticker on the bottom too

nuggetino said:
Yeah, I don't have that sticker. Guess it's not present on all units.

I had a look at a few not all of them have it.

Is your serial in the hundreds, 1000's, 2000's, 3000's etc?

I saw this sticker on a unit with a serial in the 10k range.

nuggetino said:

I may be wrong but this sticker might of been added on the latter units.

How many numbers is in your serial number excluding the first one and whats the first number
start with?

Thanks

Im still using the first of the 4500s, my partner has one as well.(bought s/hand years latter...but from the same era when they first came out...owned by a friend of ours)..all good after the recall. However like many other units, problems can and do occur from time to time, and mine has been back a few times for various reasons.
Yett was not used just on weekends, it was used pretty much daily....and for 6 months of the year in WA for the last three years strait.

I have no interest in using/owning a 5k...iv used a few over the years and for someone like myself, they were not worth the jump up. Nothing wrong with them tho, and should be a consideration if loaded with accessories to sweeten the deal.

If your thinking of one of the GPXs, think about the age......5ks are younger than 45s.

I wont part with my 45 till im sure its no longer needed. It owns me nothing and has paid for its self many times over.

Wolfau said:
nuggetino said:

How many numbers is in your serial number excluding the first one and whats the first number
start with?

Thanks

Serial number is 1022351

nuggetino said:
Wolfau said:
nuggetino said:

start with?

Thanks

Serial number is 1022351

That is strange. I think thats one of the latter models and one I was looking at which had a serial close
to yours had one.

Maybe due to it being placed on the bottom it may of come off unless you bought yours new.

Not sure.

Narrawa said:
Im still using the first of the 4500s, my partner has one as well.(bought s/hand years latter...but from the same era when they first came out...owned by a friend of ours)..all good after the recall. However like many other units, problems can and do occur from time to time, and mine has been back a few times for various reasons.
Yett was not used just on weekends, it was used pretty much daily....and for 6 months of the year in WA for the last three years strait.

I have no interest in using/owning a 5k...iv used a few over the years and for someone like myself, they were not worth the jump up. Nothing wrong with them tho, and should be a consideration if loaded with accessories to sweeten the deal.

If your thinking of one of the GPXs, think about the age......5ks are younger than 45s.

I wont part with my 45 till im sure its no longer needed. It owns me nothing and has paid for its self many times over.

I have taken the advice of a well known member here who uses one and have taken the advice of an
experience technician as well and so I think I am going to upgrade to a late model 4500.

Hope this is the right way to go though.

I have a new Gpx 5000 forsale from dad's deceased estate. I believe their about $6200 New.
I would like to get $5000 for it . Sorry to use the forum to sell it but I don't know where else I can try . Phone xxxxxxxxxx
mob tel no. removed due to forum rules

Note: please repost in the correct "For Sales" section, this area is for discussion only. Cheers

robertd said:
I have a new Gpx 5000 forsale from dad's deceased estate. I believe their about $6200 New.
I would like to get $5000 for it . Sorry to use the forum to sell it but I don't know where else I can try . Phone

I could get a new one for around the same price just a
Tad cheaper its on gumtree. You may want to remove
your contact Number thoughby editing your reply.

Thanks for replying.

robertd said:
I would like to get $5000 for it . Sorry to use the forum to sell it but I don't know where else I can try . Phone xxxxxxxxxx
mob tel no. removed due to forum rules
Hi Robertd,
I'm interested in your 5000. Can you send me your address and phone number please. My phone no. is xxxxxxxxxx. Cheers, Hermann.

Note: As a newbie you require 10 posts to be able to PM other members, ph no. removed as per forum rules.

Hi Hermann

I sent you an email as my friend has one if you don't have any luck with the one on here

ive never seen a security label on any of the 4500 's ive looked at and ive looked at quite a few lately, I think you will find that if they have been recalled they would put a tamper sticker on not the other way around. that would make sense to me. otherwise everyone ive looked at has a cheap little supermarket label saying last day checked by minelab.

There is one on gumtree with the tamper proof sticker on the bottom underneath near the serial.

Spoke with a dealer who clarified the same with some older serial 4500.

Changed my mind about getting a 4500 though as I am told some are quiet while others are not.

Have no idea if there is any truth to this though as I have not personal tested any 4500's.

ive been looking at them mate and talking to alot of operators, one bloke here told me he has had 4 x 4500's the last one was the best and runs really quiet the others not as smooth in the threshold but still better than the 5000. he swears by them and he had a long list of owned mielabs. he basically plans a trip each year to WA and buys a detector does two months and comes bakc... hes sold every one accept the one he's holding... i'm trying to restle it form him :)

you can buy my sd2000 with upgrades if you want :) what are you upgrading form anyway mate

G0lddigg@ said:
ive been looking at them mate and talking to alot of operators, one bloke here told me he has had 4 x 4500's the last one was the best and runs really quiet the others not as smooth in the threshold but still better than the 5000. he swears by them and he had a long list of owned mielabs. he basically plans a trip each year to WA and buys a detector does two months and comes bakc... hes sold every one accept the one he's holding... i'm trying to restle it form him :)

you can buy my sd2000 with upgrades if you want :) what are you upgrading form anyway mate

Sorry G0lddigg just seen your reply.

I am upgrading from a gp 3500.

What's the main concern with the 3500 to make you want to upgrade? Is it because the 5000 will handle mono coils better?

Latest posts