Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minelab via Miners den gave me a new replacement SDC today and the report says the faulty SDC had a fault in the coil and various other faults (guess that one was just a lemon).
So i guess i wasnt crazy after all.

The new machine is so much more stable less erratic ect difference is night and day.
Thanks to Miners Den for looking after me you guys have fantastic customer service.

Now its time to get back out and find some gold.....i was getting cabin fever.

Really happy for you LC , sounds like you just got a brummy , I am also happy that you got the service from Minelab that most would expect with the issues you have had , have they given you a full warranty on the new machine or or has it been retrospectively dated back to your original purchase ? Good luck with the new machine

Cheers

With all the hype around the 7000 , which I would love but can't afford , and the bar graph released by Minelab in its testing , I was interested that it seems to indicate that the SDC has 25 percent better depth on a nugget of 5 grams or less than a 5000 with an 11 inch coil. I would not have thought that to be true and probably still doubt it a little. But it did get me thinking as to how an SDC would perform with an 11 inch mono or larger , I realise no one is going to start pulling a machine apart for modification whilst still under warranty , or even if it is possible to do such a mod , but I am sure there are a few guys on here able to provide a technical view on how it might perform.

Love my SDC but would love a bigger coil for the wide open areas of WA

Cheers

They gave a me whole new package/box so now i have some spares.
So im very happy and excited to go bush again....hate being stuck in the house.

Cant beleive the difference though,im surprised i was able to find gold with the faulty detector after having a play with the new one.
Im gonna be finding gold everywhere now.

Would be awesome to have coil options for the SDC. Perhaps the fanatastic performance the SDC offers on small gold has something to do with it being tuned to run with an 8" coil. No doubt the SDC holds an edge over the GPX on very small gold. Nenad has shown how the nuggets shape appears to determine which detector
gets it deeper.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C13W1RKJqWA[/video]

As for the GPZ apparently it gets up to 40% more depth in test conditions. This to me means in general it will not find gold 40% deeper than a GPX but in the right conditions it may.

LC76 said:
They gave a me whole new package/box so now i have some spares.
So im very happy and excited to go bush again....hate being stuck in the house.

Cant beleive the difference though,im surprised i was able to find gold with the faulty detector after having a play with the new one.
Im gonna be finding gold everywhere now.

Yeah and if it doesn't you'll be begging for the old 1 back. :D Glad you got it replaced, good news.

nuggetino said:
Would be awesome to have coil options for the SDC. Some are experimenting, won;t be long.

As for the GPZ apparently it gets up to 40% more depth in test conditions. This to me means in general it will not find gold 40% deeper than a GPX but in the right conditions it may.
?? Not sure what you are on about there mate, as PH said, "Please Explain"

Minelab don't state it detects 40% deeper, they say it detects up to 40% deeper. Best case scenario perhaps?

40% is an extreamly huge difference! And I don't like the look of the two blokes doing the testing.

nuggetino said:
Would be awesome to have coil options for the SDC. Perhaps the fanatastic performance the SDC offers on small gold has something to do with it being tuned to run with an 8" coil. No doubt the SDC holds an edge over the GPX on very small gold. Nenad has shown how the nuggets shape appears to determine which detector
gets it deeper.

Thanks Nuggetino.

It's not just the shape, but more so the texture/density. A targets "detectability" all comes down to how fast the induced electromagnetic field dissipates, or it's decay time. Size, density, impurities, texture, shape, orientation all play a role here.

The reason the SDC get's these bits is all due to MPF. Faster switching between Transit and Receive helps to "catch" the targets that decay very quickly. Unlike conventional PI's equipped with a simple Pulse width control, where decreasing the pulse width time improves Sensitivity but also increases ground noise, Minelab's method actually reduces ground noise, which is why the SDC kicks butt on these small and hard to find nuggies in mineralised ground 8)

Bacchus said:
it did get me thinking as to how an SDC would perform with an 11 inch mono or larger , I realise no one is going to start pulling a machine apart for modification whilst still under warranty , or even if it is possible to do such a mod , but I am sure there are a few guys on here able to provide a technical view on how it might perform.

The question is can it be done or has someone done this already?

Your benefit with MPF would not be in depth, but in coverage....looking to out fit it with a coil like a 14x7...15x8 would be in my opinion, a better choice than looking to search deeper due to the timing it uses.

Narrawa said:
Your benefit with MPF would not be in depth, but in coverage....looking to out fit it with a coil like a 14x7...15x8 would be in my opinion, a better choice than looking to search deeper due to the timing it uses.

Spot on. Maybe an 11" Minelab coil or a 12" Nugget Finder coil.

Can it be done though? This is the interesting question..

Narrawa said:
Bingo - would love to have a 14 x 7 on mine!

mbasko said:
Narrawa said:
Bingo - would love to have a 14 x 7 on mine!

The question though is - can it be done?

Latest posts