Wally69's Nugget Hunting Practice. The By-Catch.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wally69 said:
The funny thing is I was saying to a mate yesterday that I would love to find a Pre-1911 penny and my best chance to find one was on the goldfields.

It seems funny to hear that but it's been amazing amoungst the trash on the goldfields the different coins iv uncovered and a mate of mine that isn't a member here, He and his kids have unearthed amazing things like pocket watches etc...

I wish someone would hurry up with the forums oldest coil iv got a few coming!

Another 'lucky' find from the same park

1929 San Merino 10 Centesimi converted into a silver plated good luck medallion, possibly a special Papal issue but can't seem to find any info on it.

1425173533_image.jpg

1425173585_image.jpg

Went for a quick hunt today

Got a few buttons, the Moses & Levi London one is a nice find and the 41 roo is in poor condition but brightened my afternoon

1426667703_image.jpg

Not sure what this is, might be a bonnet emblem off an old car ?????

1426667729_image.jpg

And my most prized find for the day, something Indiana Jones would be proud of. Not sure where the rest of the brass monkey went....must have been cold. :D

1426667748_image.jpg

Found this the other night, looks like a high school workshop project

1427327935_image.jpg

On closer look today it got me thinking 'would I employ the kid that made it ?'

The quality of workmanship and the ingenuity in material selection are qualities that seem to be rare these days.

Not that I'm a expert on the subject but the pipe is a common design available everywhere and surely not made by a student but probably China.

Great use of a brass bolt and old spanner then if that is the case, and I thought the Chineese could only copy others. :8

An interesting session yesterday yielded a 2 x threepence coinspill dating '42. & '43 and a '38 HP.
Unfortunately put the barto into one of the 3ps :mad:

My smallest AMF button, musket ball and an interesting lead seal raised the relic tally from this site. Anyone know anything about the seal?

1427521067_image.jpg

Did a bit of research this afternoon and found a new park to hunt. It looked good on the old aerials and thought I will have a chance of picking up an old cricket buckle.

Got there just on dark and the site has obviously had some significant earthworks done. :( The edges still look like they have some potential so I started near the car park and worked a small embankment.

The first three targets were gold and the next a '51 half penny. Not as old as I was looking for but a great start, and then it happened, I was hitting target after target and I had gone less than 10m. Lots of small coins were rolling in so I cranked the discrimination up and was surprised to be pulling more gold than a GPZ on steroids.

It was a quick outing but I am happy to have found some good coffee-money ground and who knows; maybe some of the area has that pre-1800s potential I am chasing.

1427539212_image.jpg

Ramjet said:
A very good hunt indeed. I don't think I have that many 50 cent pieces in 2 years detecting.
Well done wally.

Said exactly the same thing to the Mrs when I got home, I don't usually get many 50s but the ground was full of them :lol:

I have never experienced ground like it and there are plenty of trips left to this park :p

Hey Wally,
I think the only way to tell true craftsmanship with something like this, is to go and buy yourself a bag of wacky tabacky and give it a good run.
If afterwards you find yourself giggling at your own thoughts whilst pigging out on twisties and ice-cream, then I'd say it gets a pass! :D :p ;)

Nice finds Wally - that is referred to as a Roosevelt Dime or a "rosy" - a Liberty dime is much older also known as a seated Liberty Dime was minted a 100 years earlier (1831 - 1891) - they were silver through 1964 but yours is a clad coin - surprises me how many US coins are found here.

I have now had my 705 for a year, so I thougt I would crack open the safe and see what the year has produced.

1429963139_image.jpg

The most common coin found was a close race between the $2 and 5c, the 5c is marginally in front but I think a few coffees may have unfairly unbalanced the ledger. I wasn't expecting the $2 coin to win but am pleasantly surprised.

Don't fret Rocketaroo, statistically, my rarest coin for the year was the 'FLORLIN', you are just as likely to find two1700s Chineese coins., four rising Suns or 10 rings :lol:

Doing well mate, looks like someone raided Alladins cave. You got way more pre decimals than me. I got 2 Florins though, in one day. :p One from each of those pines.

I got no Rising Suns................ :(

$2 coins are awesome, it's as if they were invented by a detectorst and designed to fall out of pockets.