GPZ7000 release, questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toysandthings said:
As we cant find any courier service that will fully insure it then yes,
it has to be pickup only.

Sad I know, but maximum insurance on all couriers is only $2000,
Aus post has $5000, but think of the difference n someone,
the sender cops the loss.

Cheers.
Lee.
ps. Although, considering the price, I'd consider
delivering it personally within 500km of Wollongong.

This is going to be interesting for ebay sales..

Aus Post max Insurance total is $5000 :eek:

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/optional-extras-domestic.html

we used couriers please and startrack to send $15k printers right around the country never had an issue :) you just have to take a punt sometimes

Yes, we received ours into stock on the 23rd.

Will be very interesting the results of people out using them..:)

Cheers.
Lee.

I'm curious about the software for the 7000.
Does anyone know if the program for the gps part of the detector sends any information out to a third party?

And what experience have you had with the software in general? i.e. Is it easy to use and understand ? ect.

From what I've seen you can start on auto the youtube video show you. Looks pretty easy to navigate around the display.

Download from Minelab, run on computer and have a look. You don`t need a GPZ to do so, just a logon with Minelab for the mapping feature. Does that logon upload data from your PC? I am "sure" Minelab will be keen to spend the resources required to track us, what for?

No, I think in general we are just an irritation to mining companies, nor do I think Minelab give two hoots about our finds locations in general, but what they do very well is design and build detectors for us. Tis their business.

Hate to tell you but every time your GPS pings the satellite's it's in the hands of a third party.
When you set waypoints or mark finds it's a local save to your device.

So a third party can see your POI's but how would they know if you found a nugget at that position? Unless of course you marked that position as 100oz nugget found here.

No, a third party can see your receivers PRN (Id number of your GPS) and can tell where that PRN is located.
Any saved information on the GPS is a local save to the GPS device which unless is connected to Wifi cant be sent.
However if the GPZ mapping software is web based ie: you upload your GPS data to the internet your data would be accessible by the software licence holder. If the software is on your PC and you just transfer info to your PC then you would need to be hacked for that info to be released with out your permission.

Most Software these days states in the Terms and conditions that the software developer owns your soul and can make you into a human centipede. 8)

bushpig said:
So a third party can see your POI's but how would they know if you found a nugget at that position? Unless of course you marked that position as 100oz nugget found here.

Call Minelab and ask them the question.

I can safely say that unless your the USA Dept of defence your not getting any data from a GPS PRN.

Who remembers when the first War on terror started in Afghanistan the US DoD released a statement to the effect of "your GPS wont be very accurate for a while coz' we don't want the enemy to shot rockets at us"

Wolfau said:
bushpig said:

Do you have a problem with me asking questions here mate?

With regards to our GPS`s data being available to a third party, do you really consider that third party would spend money, time and resources tracking the millions of GPS users such as us? They have troubles tracking the pings of lost aircraft with their satellites. Possible perhaps, but we are just wee meat ants. Leave Minelab to keep developing our future detectors and leave your GPS off if you feel threatened.

It appears the software uses Google maps.
And we all know google wants to know what you had for breakfast.
I'll leave the GPS function turned off on mine, it will eat battery power that will decrease detecting time anyway.

1424818811_capture.jpg

LC76 said:
I get the impression some members would prefer to stop this discussion.
And if that's your purpose then bugger off please.

Who actaully has stated that one wants to stop the discussion?

bushpig said:
Wolfau said:
bushpig said:

Do you have a problem with me asking questions here mate?

Why would I have a problem?

You asked a product specific question and a product specific question
is best answered by those that designed and built it.

So I made the suggestion of contacting Minelab and your perception
was I have a problem with what you asked...

Latest posts