Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horse said:
Heya Frogger.
I have a 705 myself.
Did you activate beach mode?

Also...as far as beaches go...the 705 is a good park detector.
I have no problem at all with my 705, but take it to the beach...and it is a different creature entirely.
To really have a good crack at the beach....I would recommend a Pulse Induction (PI) machine

That's usually the issue with "do it all" vlf detectors, the performance is nearly always lacking when it come to wet sand detecting. Switch to a multi frequency detector, and the difference is like night and day with regards to stability and effective depth of the detector in the wet.

Frogger, what sort of budget are we talking about for a new detector?

Heatho said:
Hey Frogger, the 705 can false badly in the wet sand, SA Bogan posted up some settings for wet sand and the 705, hopefully someone can remember where the post is or remember settings. Dry sand it should run sweet.

Really? I didn't think that was the case with the 705, which is why I upgraded from the 305. It hasn't been too bad in the wet and even in the water which is generally where I am using it a lot lately. Fingers crossed I don't trip and dunk the control box lol.

Horse said:
Heya Frogger.
I have a 705 myself.

I have no problem at all with my 705, but take it to the beach...and it is a different creature entirely.
To really have a good crack at the beach....I would recommend a Pulse Induction (PI) machine

Hi Horse, yeah I had beach mode on and all, its usually not to bad in the wet, with sensitivity 15-20. I agree with you though, it's definitely built for the grass. Will look at upgrading soon.

Goldpick said:
Horse said:
Heya Frogger.
I have a 705 myself.

That's usually the issue with "do it all" vlf detectors, the performance is nearly always lacking when it come to wet sand detecting. Switch to a multi frequency detector, and the difference is like night and day with regards to stability and effective depth of the detector in the wet.

Frogger, what sort of budget are we talking about for a new detector?

I'm checking out some videos at the moment. The CTX 3030 looks like the go. A bit costly though. Will have to have a good think about it, and do some more research :)

Was thinking of getting the NEL big for more ground coverage on the 705 gold pack... For coins/relics obviously, not gold. Has anyone ordered and used any of their coils with a 705? If so, how's it working out for you, and are the target ID's the same? Thanks!
1419677545_dscn0717-228x228.jpg

Hey guys

I finally bought a detector, a used 705 from the for sale section.

Alas it looks like the coil is faulty and needs replacing.

Any tips on where to purchase another one? I will only be using this for relic and coin hunting.

Kind regards josh

Hi everyone just wondering if there is any headphones with blue tooth for the xterra 705 that you can buy

Hi Guys
I have just recieved my new xterra 705 dual pack.I am just wondering is the oval coil better for general park detecting than the recommended round one or is the oval for gold hunting only
Thanks inadvance
Gary

I have found plenty of coins with the oval coil (eliptical) on my 705 while park hunting..
Having said that the 9" round (concentric) coil is "usually" better suited, and also has better pinpoonting ability over the eliptical coil for park hunts.

The Round coil is also rated as waterproof where the oval is not.
The oval ( eliptical) coil is more suited to ground with higher mineralization.
I hope this helps :)

Glad to hear that Lures....Good luck with the hunt....may a sovereign be sitting in your path :)

Question: When you buy a new Minelab detector from a store, does Minelab keep serial numbers, date of purchase, purchasers name etc. Am asking because I purchased a X-Terra 705 a few years ago, and not sure if its out of warranty and the speaker doesn't work any more. Cant find receipt. My brother brought one a month after me and his speaker went 3 months ago. Is this a common fault with them?
Sheryl.

Latest posts