Lortone 33b rock tumbler

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
My tumbler arrived today and was quickly put into use cleaning up some coins for banking. I purchased this model to enable the cleaning of different metals at the same time.

The main usage will be cleaning up decimal currency, and some of the more toasted pre-decimals. I am currently using aquarium gravel as the polishing media, and will give an initial run of a couple of hours to see how things pan out (with the odd check before the 2 hours are up). :)

1423456735_img_20150209_150314.jpg

1423456757_img_20150209_150348.jpg

Just put through $350 of goldies so far this arvo, worked a treat. The coins require a few hours of tumbling to be in an acceptable state, some requiring longer than others. It's a bit like having a minature ball mill working away on the workshop bench, also runs pretty quite due to the rubber barrels.

Dirty!

1423489003_img_20150210_000546.jpg

Clean!

1423489028_img_20150210_000610.jpg

Nice results. How does the gravel come out? Does it end up being turned to powder also?

The gravel slowly wears away after time, just leaving some sediment in the water. It all gets washed out once the coins are clean, then top up the gravel when necessary. Might try some stainless shot one day, as I reckon it would clean up the coin detail a bit better than the larger pieces of aquarium gravel. :)

My Dad used to reload .38 and .45 caliber shells and used kitty litter and little pieces of foam - all dry - and tumble the cases for days - they came out looking brand new. He made a tumbler box out of wood and connected a barbaque spit through the middle that did all the work ... I wanted to take it when I last visited him but too big for my luggage...

Ramjet said:
When I used to do pistol shooting, we used crushed walnut shell in a tumbler to clean cartridges. Should work for coins.

I suppose it depends on how badly tarnished or oxidised the coins are, many of mine were in pretty bad shape. So I far I have managed to peddle off most of my well use $2 coins to various shops without issue, either way, when banked those coins will simply be taken out of circulation.

Remember that if you wish to sell the coins that you have to a collector (not just to bank the current stuff), like the pre-decimal coins, then the more you do in terms of cleaning (other than simple washing dirt off), the more likely it is to diminish the value of the coin, not add to it. But if you are just collecting them for yourself, then go for it to make them shiny.

Rob.

Most of the coins going into the tumbler are just spendables, and any pre-decs that may go in there are either toasted or hold no significant value.

Quite frankly, most pre-dec coins found these days through detecting hold no great value to collectors, unless in near pristine condition - or if it's a holy dollar. ;) Any of my decent pre-decs cop only a light clean, especially the copper/bronze coins with a nice patina and minimal corrosion - they just get a bath in olive oil. :)

I have been using Loretone tumbler for about two years now. It is only small one, two pounds , I think. Same as you I have been using it with aquarium gravel but I add squirt of Jiff in it. Works treat. I mix goldies with nickel coins about 15 to 25 dollars worth at time. Goldies take around 3 hours and nickels up to 12 or more hours, depending how badly they are corroded.
Karl

Sorry, forgot to mention about the detergent in the mix. At this stage I am still checking the coins every couple of hours to see how they are going, until confident I have got it correct. The aquarium gravel I am using is that really cheap coloured stuff from Cheap as Chips, about $2 a bag from memory. The gravel colouring washes out after the first couple of runs. :)

You can get crushed quartz aquarium gravel from K mart. The Jiff works better then detergent as it contains some sort of fine abrasives.
Karl

That's awesome mate. I have the same tumbler, but so far it's seen rocks only. Might give it a whirl with dirty coins.
Has anyone tried tarnished coppers, tumbled dry? I'm never happy with how they come up with most cleaning methods.

Latest posts