Glacial rock with vein showing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There isn't much to find around here as far as Au finds, so this is all for now. I'll post some close up macros which have been enlarged even more.

quartz_veinrock1b_zpsscz1pssy.jpg

I have 2 issues of a mining journal magazine sent to me by Jim Straight, a two part article covering the gold deposits in Indiana. It happened once after posting a few of these pics on another forum. He paid for the postage himself, didn't cost me anything, because they were the extra copy that is sent people who write prospecting articles. Probably should get photos, both magazines are in a separate mailing envelope, with Jim Straight's return address. Nice guy, even at his age, really goes out of his way to be friendly. I'm not all that young myself, will be 59 in about 2 months.

quartz_veinrock1LGcrop_zpsbynvy8ek.jpg

We don't have any bedrock you can find in my area. Closest thing to bedrock, is hard clay and that can be a solid layer.

quartz_veinrock1LGcrop2_zpsv4gbgpuy.jpg

These are still all from the same rock, a couple will look better as it turned out to be more clear.

quartz_veinrock4cropc_zpsvym6cghi.jpg

About as much, as you can enlarge the micro stuff.

quartz_veinrock4crop_zps8mkheldn.jpg

G'Day AKA and welcome to the forum mate!

What are Jims thoughts on deposits in the Indiana area?

I dont know much about Au deposits over that way as im not familiar with terrain and structure however suffice to say that the hard clay you speak of can actually compose a true bottom such as bedrock will.

Any strata that restricts the SG fall of Au is considered a 'bottom'.

I would like to know more however........and great pics mate!

Cheers

Well, back when I'd bought a GB-2, Jim's book on Hard Rock Mining & Prospecting, sure got my attention so ordered it. Then inside was a letter from Jim telling me how rare a gold find from Indiana would be, he included another small appendix free also. What surprised me is how I mentioned that to him and seemed to remember after all these years. Amazing guy, but I think Jim is watching for any new locations, since writing about prospecting is his thing.

Have a good day mate, guess I'll have get used to saying it now?

Our clay can be very hard and a brownish or yellowish brown. Then I've seen reddish dirt which must have a red clay mixed with the soil, that isn't very common, must have come down with the glaciers.

Jim didn't write the articles on Indiana gold, he sent them for the info. Interesting, flood plains along the ice edges produced like a giant sluice box effect concentrating gold down to bedrock. That would be the Wabash valley and counties near Indy. I took some photos of the magazines.

1423242777_miningjournal1.jpg

Jim wrote inside the cover of Hard Rock Mining & Prospecting book.

1423242909_miningjournal2.jpg

These deposits up in the north part of the state, contain bluish glaucophane in abundance. It mostly is found commonly in association with jadiete in places such as California, western coastal ranges, and a lot in Japan. The assayer was from Jim Straight's area and said he had dealings with him when working as a mining consultant. I got the assay done on my own, back in the mid 1990s, sent in a 1 ounce sample.

1423244336_glaucophane1.jpg

Plenty of it, looks from the chemical formula to be a sodium amphibole.

1423244485_glaucophane2.jpg