⭐ Treasure Hunting Show & Tell - Show us your favourite, oldest, best finds.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has to be the 1835 sixpence and the little bit of gold I found within about 100 metres of each other on 2 separate occasions.
When I found the 6p I was walking back to the ute and just waving the coil around as I went and from memory it came up a solid 36 on the 705 when I switched from A M mode to coin mode to check the TID.
The 0.23 gram came of a mullock heap that would have been literally flogged by detectors for the last 30 years!
They must have both had my name on them I guess! :cool:

1421213614_6p_ed_for_g_forum_1.jpg

1421213637_gold_1.jpg

Cheers,
Billy.

Hey there Digger ... You better get to figuring out how to post those pictures!! :lol:
You could just try cropping your existing pics or ive installed an app called photo resizer .... Works for me
Now get to it ....please hurry . Im sure im not the only one keen to see them

Diggerman60 said:
My best coin find is 6 coins I found a week and a half ago up the Palmer River FNQ. 2 x 1835 Half Crowns, 2 x 1836 Half Crowns and 2 x 1845 Half Crowns in 1 gully spread out over about 6m. Oldest coins I have found.

Sorry photo file is to large to post. Anyone how to reduce file size? 8)

Try this link for info on reducing file size.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=585

1423195026_1423194778818.jpg
1423194983_1423194778502.jpg

Found this little fellow a couple of weeks ago. Ive cleaned it with water and a toothbrush and reckon the remaining colors are painted on, not patina or rust.

I think its cast from bronze and it stands about 5cm tall. Going to get it xrf tested to see if the metal composition might help with an approximate age. :)

^^^ Thanks Ramjet, found it at a sporting oval that dates back to the 1880s. Finds were at mixed depth relative to their age....king g. Pennys near the surface, aluminium bits and modern coins down lower or same depth as pre decimals.

I cant post a link from my mobile but wikipedia has some details on bronze and how various compositions of it can assist in establishing when made. It might be relatively modern due to the paint still attached but I honestly have no idea how old it is or how it ended up where I found it.

HHUuuuuhhhhhh,....wowie, what a heart starter that must have been for you D60.
I' was a bit slow in getting around for a look, nice finds everyone.

This is my favourite find I scored while detecting at Bungonia about 18 months back with my Sovereign . I had researched it before and sent around photo's to collectors and museums etc but no one could provide much info and would only guess who minted it . Just now as I was going to post a pic I found the following link which sheds a little light on it . http://museumvictoria.com.au/collec...lia-cast-new-south-wales-australia-circa-1860 It may be worth something after all , if not its worth plenty to me anyway :)

1427695647_c1.jpg

1427695664_c2.jpg