Victoria Miners Right, NSW permit or both

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkenotwills

Kevin Burke
Reaction score
Hi all, As I live on the Victorian side of the Murray River(Mildura) and will be prospecting in Victoria I understand I need to obtain a miners right for Victoria.
Will this cover me when fossicking at the local 'beach'? as the river and a certain amount of meterage on the Vic side is actually deemed NSW land.
Or will I also need to get a NSW permit as well? I don't intend to be venturing into NSW proper at any stage soon and realise when the time comes will need a permit for NSW.
Or should I just get both to cover myself anyway?
Thanking you in advance. K.B.

Unless your going into NSW state forest, its free dig up this way (NSW) - no license required

"Murray River and ana-branches" is on the exempted rivers list so the Victorian side is no go for Prospecting, not sure how that fits in with the Murray being NSW.

outboard said:
"Murray River and ana-branches" is on the exempted rivers list so the Victorian side is no go for Prospecting, not sure how that fits in with the Murray being NSW.

Thanks Outboard and this is my confusion. All I want to do is go to Apex park here in Mildura where it is the local most popular swimming spot with a huge beach/sandbar and search for coins and stuff really. Mainly to get used to the detector. Not wanting to do anything else along or in the river or its ana-branches in terms of prospecting. This is always a contentious issue with the river up here in regards to everything between the two states. I will make sure I have my Vic permit and go from there. Thanks for the responses. Cheers K.B.

Hmm best to look into the exemptions I never really thought about it. .. If you banging out a few coins in a non gold area does the restrictions apply. ... Time to do some reading. There's a strong possibility they've got that covered to but interesting nonetheless.

Latest posts