WHITES GMT Goldmaster information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for others that maybe using the goldmaster.. Any one got tips or hints how you get the best out of the machine.

I am using this at the moment, finding it's great detecting junk, yet to find good with it, and seriously thinking about upgrading to the GPX 5000.
But am finding the GMT nice and light, easy to use, but very sensitive, goes off with the mineralised soil something shocking at times.

I have the same problems. Doesn't handle change of soil well. I hazard a guess we are having this conversation on Facebook at the moment. Manual setting could be the way to go. The Vlf could be the issue. I spend some time over winter and have a fiddle with it going to give it to my brother and hire a GPX5000 get a signal then see if he can pick it up.

Newbie I use the MXT pro which is close to the GMT but it is a lower freq, one useful tip is to use the trace the black sand mineralisation in a creek or inside bend and peg out the highest numbers you will end up with a line that shows where the heavies are then you can set up a highbanker and dig, have had good success doing this at the ford and at tuena. I have also found that the hypersat settings are far to much for our mineralised ground and normally around 7 to 8 on the gain, in +1 or higher the detector is very chatty.
Cheers
Skip

I have a GMT that I use just for very small gold. I love it, it will see the smallest pieces but only to about 2 inches. I am sure if I wave it over a bigger piece down deeper it will see it. Cheers Rick

Hi I've used the GMT with some frustration handling mineralized soil.
If you are able to find the right areas with heaps of quartz reef. I have found it dynamite picking up gold that the GPX 5000 could not see, some lovely specimens.

Regards Stinky

I find plenty of gold with the gmt
In very highly mineralised ground
Try running your vast nearly at 10
Your gain should be around 7 ish
There are 2 thresh tone changes in this area get to the second one then back off a fraction
I run it on the same ground I run my 45 on
They sniff out small gold like a bloodhound
;)
Its the same as any other machine you have to spend the time to get to know it
And what it's telling you
If you have any questions just ask and I'll see if I can help
2 mates got a bit within their first 4 hrs swinging
I got a bit on my first day with it
They are really sensitive On the small stuff
And the iron I'd is great as you get to choose what you discriminate

I agree that the GMT is a great machine for small gold and I'm sure it will see larger pieces at some depth. It gives a good solid signal on coins as well. I have found 18 pieces of gold that combined only weigh 1.6 grams. Two of them came out of a GPX5000 hole. Cheers.

Lbg dreamer said:
There are 2 thresh tone changes in this area get to the second one then back off a fraction
I run it on the same ground I run my 45 on
They sniff out small gold like a bloodhound
;)
Its the same as any other machine you have to spend the time to get to know it
And what it's telling you
If you have any questions just ask and I'll see if I can help
2 mates got a bit within their first 4 hrs swinging
I got a bit on my first day with it
They are really sensitive On the small stuff
And the iron I'd is great as you get to choose what you discriminate

Thanks for the tips, will try these settings, only new to ours still working out the settings. Great news on the small gold.

Will test over the next few weeks and give you an update! :)

Good luck and remember
You need to research your area you are going to try
And dig and walk
Its no easy task finding gold
And if you can get your coil on it
It's your best chance of finding it

Lbg dreamer said:

I use my GMT in high mineralised ground that can change quickly - with a metre or so. I can vouch for those settings. I use similar & have found gold down to 0.06 gram.

I recently got the 6x4 nugget shooter coil but found it a bit too sensitive first time out. Need to fiddle some more I think. Anyone had success with this coil? Read some good wraps on it.

Been running with my GMT for about 6 months now, have some awesome success bedrock shooting, pulled a little over 15 grams in the last 3 months..

Tips: Push the gain until it can't handle the ground, keep the VSAT low for depth, high for better sensitivity to smaller gold (keep in mind doing so will reduce depth)
FORGET Auto tracking... It WILL balance out small gold signals... User manual, hit gram, then manually give the machine a hot signal on the down stroke for extra sensitivity and depth.

Boost is a pain in the noisy ass, unless you have the gold in the scoop, leave it off... You will miss targets in harsh ground because of the added noise.

The 6x4 coil is a beast, but the stock 10" can damn near do it all.. 14" GoldMax is a heavy pain in the butt, and not worth the money or shoulder ache..

This machine isn't a depth demon at 48kHz, small shallow gold is its bread and butter, It will go deep on larger nuggets.. Just not that deep :)
I got a .61g nugget last weekend at just over 4 inches and it was just a slight threshold change... Don't expect a loud ZIP.. It's rare..

Hope some of this helps..

Good info Dh I am very happy with mine as well. I think for the price they are an excellent machine. I was lucky enough to get mine for $660. Chuffed :)

Hi guys n' gals,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a fair price for new Whites GMT Goldmaster Metal Detector? I was going to buy a second hand Minelab Eureka but that was sold literally a few hours before I enquired! I have been in touch with a seller for the Whites and a new one was quoted at $750 which included postage, or I can get one which is one year older but the same specs for $650. If these are fair prices, would it be recommended to go for the 750 or 650 one?

Oh and if you think the Whites GMT isn't any good compared to the Eureka, please say so as it will save me the troubles of finding out!

The GMT is good - will find gold down to very small sizes & both those prices appear ok. They usually retail for $995 now.
Just make sure your getting the real deal as I have read recently that there are fakes now getting about.