How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'll buy 20 sets and become a wholesale seller to the scammers. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should have sounded interested and strung him along for a bit , lol .
I wonder if he got scammed himself , and bought all the extra gear before he found out it was a fake and now trying to sell it off to make some money back on what he lost?
Seems and elaborate scam to have all the extra gear also , if it was just detector might be another story .

It is still the old Idiom '' if it sounds too good............................''
If it's so cheap in comparison to the average used prices - Why ?
Ask about the warranty. If it's ''out' of warranty. don't buy it. can't find the receipt, or the serial numbers etc. forget it.
It is people that don't see these posts on forums that are the potential victims. and their - '' naivety ''.

it happens with many other items. too. it was tried in a motorcycle mag. that runs classified ads. three bikes where about a third of the average used price. I contacted the mag. and they answered that they can't proof read all the ads. and it is ''buyer beware''.
the other one is - selling for some-one else, they're overseas etc.

The latest scam is cheap VLF detectors dressed up to look similar to the Minelab GPX series.
They are being sold under names like GFX 7000 & falsely claiming they use Minelab patented technology such as MPS, DVT & SETA.
1414910744_14149107036950.jpg

I met a bloke at the Babinda campground recently and after an introduction we got onto talking about metal detecting. I told him a little about my finds with the gpx4500 and he then told me he had yet to find anything with his 5000 that he'd bought about a month ago. He then proceeded to tell me he'd bought his 5000 from china for $2700 as he felt minelab were a rip off. Apparently the company he bought his gpx from use 97% of the same parts as found in minelabs gpx 5000 and the other 3% difference is in the external casing that is the internal components are the same. I felt like poking fun at him and explaining the probable cause for him not having found any gold yet but ofcourse I'm uncertain as to how much truth there is to his story. I wish he'd had his detector handy as i would have loved to have run some side by side tests against my 4500.

I kind of dont really feel sorry for this guy mate.... if he thinks its easy to run a company like minelab and that they dont have to spend squillions $$ (thats the techical term :) to produce the technology that they do then he deserves every bit of that chines detector. Im sure it will make a nice wall piece for him to talk about with his friends.

Why not just buy a sd2200 for $2000 ....

Go to Coiltek at Marybough,they have one sitting on the wall,and a couple dud chinese coils.
Golddigg is right.

Regards Frank

Minelab said:
For first level verification of the GPX-4500, GPX 4800 and GPX 5000 products, we introduced a large brand protection security label to the control boxes on 26th March, 2012.
Any GPX4500, 4800 or 5000 made after after 26/03/2012 should have one.

There is a new Minelab page available for verifications.
Verify Your Minelab site:
https://verify.minelab.com/verify(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/index.html#/

On the bottom of the page there is a link to Minelabs Contact page & also a link to the verify by SMS info page.

mbasko said:
Minelab said:
For first level verification of the GPX-4500, GPX 4800 and GPX 5000 products, we introduced a large brand protection security label to the control boxes on 26th March, 2012.
Any GPX4500, 4800 or 5000 made after after 26/03/2012 should have one.

There is a new Minelab page available for verifications.
Verify Your Minelab site:
https://verify.minelab.com/verify(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/index.html#/

On the bottom of the page there is a link to Minelabs Contact page & also a link to the verify by SMS info page.
Bought one from a forum member last night. Not that I think it's a fake or I wouldn't have bought it. Uust trying to confirm it as real, but to do sms thing I need a hologram for that info, and no hologram. It does have the Minelab security sticker across end cap and bottomof control box. Is there a way of comfirming it without the hologram?

Chewy if you have not done so call Minelab
with the serial number.

They can check this for you and even till you when
it was Packaged. They helped me out with this info.

Looking at a 4500

Owner said he bought it new in 2008
And will supply pics and reciept tomorrow.

What steps do I take to verify its 100% legit
As its in another state.

Just get the serial and check with minelab?
If all adds up then good to go?

Thanks

Serial number and ask for original purchasers name. Minelab will ask the same. Best proof is to take a .1 gram piece and test it. 4500 will pick that up

Thanks golddig, spewing its in another state.
Got mates up there can it be tested on jewellery
As no gold present?

You can tell im a new to detecting! ^

Jewelry is various metals that will sound off like crazy. You really want to know that it will work on small gold. Not that that cant be faked. To be honest there's not alot of fake 4500s about just stolen ones from the original minelab production.

Id be inclined to check that its ok with minelab and ask for lots of photos. If you put them up here we have alot of experienced members who should be able to spot a fake.

Latest posts