help needed with choosing laps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozjono

jonathon
Reaction score
I am buying 5 laps and have to choose the grit size out of these they will be the only laps I own
so want to get the most suited ones
grits of these laps are 180, 220, 320, 360, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, 3000.
I was thinking 320, 600, 1200, 1800, And 3000. Any one experienced I need you advice please

Ozjono,

you haven't mentioned what you will be using the laps for - cabbing or faceting.

If you are going to be aggressively forming your stones I'd consider a coarser one (180 0r 220) in lieu of the 1800 . Don't forget that the coarser laps damage internally the stone that will present problems at a later pre-polish/polish stage.

Your choice of laps seems that it would cover most situations.

Your laps won't have an unlimited lifespan so be prepared to replace them every so often.

There are reasonably priced laps from China on Ebay that could almost be deemed disposable - their cheap enough to throw away and replace every year or so.

Any chinese plated lap over 1200 is useless. Go course 180,360,1200. Instead of two more unneeded laps get a copper lap instead and 3000 compound. Or you could place an order with me for a set of sintered discs to make my Xmas.

rough2cut said:
Any chinese plated lap over 1200 is useless. Go course 180,360,1200. Instead of two more unneeded laps get a copper lap instead and 3000 compound. Or you could place an order with me for a set of sintered discs to make my Xmas.
Can you pm me a.price please

Dughug said:
Ozjono,

you haven't mentioned what you will be using the laps for - cabbing or faceting.

If you are going to be aggressively forming your stones I'd consider a coarser one (180 0r 220) in lieu of the 1800 . Don't forget that the coarser laps damage internally the stone that will present problems at a later pre-polish/polish stage.

Your choice of laps seems that it would cover most situations.

Your laps won't have an unlimited lifespan so be prepared to replace them every so often.

There are reasonably priced laps from China on Ebay that could almost be deemed disposable - their cheap enough to throw away and replace every year or so.
They will be used for faceting. I have been faceting for a few months using the club's laps but would like my own because some times I find that there laps have been contaminated with a coarser grit .with my own I can look after them and know there not contaminated

Latest posts