Fossicking Permit NSW??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisho

sean bishop
Reaction score
what are the laws associated with fossicking. i was of the opinion that you didn't need any permits at all, but after reading a couple of comments about sunny corner i read that they are needed...is this correct??

G'day

You only need a permit for state forests. Any regional Forestry Corp. office can issue them. $20 p/a I think

Cheers

Chimpy

All states are different. In Victoria a Miners Right costs about $32 for 2 years or $85 approx for 10 years.

NSW State forests http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visiting/activities/fossicking

I recently met with a local LHPA ranger (Central NSW) to go over some access to local TSR's for fossicking.

In short they also require you to get a permit from them outlining the TSR or TSR's you wish to access & fossick on. Getting a permit/permission from LHPA is also a requirement of the NSW Fossicking Guidelines. They wouldn't issue a blanket permit for neither the local area or the state.

The permit I got covers 2 x local TSR's & was given free of charge. The local ranger had no problem with issuing it or letting people fossick on TSR's & even said if it was up to them they wouldn't require the permits but in fairness to other users & leaseholders it wasn't a bad idea as they can then notify other people of what your intentions are - especially leaseholders who may have livestock on the TSR as they may wonder what you are up to.

All up a fairly easy process that covers your butt if you have a TSR or two or three in mind. ;)

http://www.lhpa.org.au/travelling-stock-reserves/tsr-use-of-and-permits

It would seem not all the forestry departments communicate very well. A little while ago there was ment to be a merger on the forms so when you applied it covered all state forests in NSW. Talking to the Batemans bay office late last year they had no idea about this and wanted to only issue me with a permit for the southern area but calling the head office ( I think it was Orange) they assured me that you could get a permit that covered all state forests but that not all departments were aware of this. When I asked that office to get a permit they told me I had to go though Batemans bay office :/ and the merry go round started again. So iam waiting till I go back into state forest till they get their act together and work out what they are doing.

I got my state forest permit through Dubbo office & it was an easy process. The one they gave me covers all of NSW. Give them a ring P: 6841 4288 - I organised mine through phone/email as I am about an hour away.

I just called the office and they said no worries, very helpful.
The lady I spoke to said they issue all permits state-wide now,
she is sending me the forms via email.

Thanks again mbasko.

Was googling TSR network directory for NSW and came across a National Parks Association document that was disturbing. They are trying to get them Heritage listed and taken over by presumably NP which would mean no fossicking etc :eek:

Yep - it had input from enviro's from my local area. Very worrying.
There are a lot of TSR's around Hargraves & Windeyer that the local LHPA told me have already been handed back to Crown Lands. These are probably the type of TSR's they are eyeballing - ones already handed back or being earmarked to hand back due to cost cutting. In these historic mining areas they shouldn't be able to remove our right to fossick but as we have seen they will if they get the chance. :mad:

has anyone got a forestry permit form they could email to me ?

The woman who said she was going to email me one today seems to have forgotten '

PM me if you have one ?

thankyou muchly

You can use the one from their website just fill in the applicable details I.e. don't worry about insurances, emergency plans etc. as this is for organised events/activities such as orienteering or endurance competition's & the like as they have numerous people involved & appropriate insurance, safety & emergency plans are required.
Just fill in your details then:
Name of forest: All NSW forests
Type of activity: Fossicking
Time/date: various over 12 month period
Is vehicle registered/insured: Yes
Sign & send in. Should be all good.

Contact Janet Waso at Bathurst Forestry Office .

She is the issuing officer, Very helpful. & efficient .

You can get a permit for the whole state @$22 per annum

I have read the links provided and still a little confused.
Does anyone know if you need a permit to prospect in Victoria, or does the miners right cover this for state forests/creeks?

Latest posts