Bash a detector thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The basic process of VLF may be the same, but here are some of the things that have changed, improved:

Price - compared to inflation, VLF's are now a fraction of the cost they used to be

Lighter - VLF's are considerably lighter these days

Automatic - anyone want a manual threshold retune, and 3 manual ground balance knobs?? I doubt it

Power Efficiency - old VLF's ran on 6 or more D cells - modern VLFs....well some run off a single 9V!

LCDs - target depth, battery strength, multi notch, target id, etc etc. are all possible due to the addition of LCDs

Signal:noise - compare the sound of a faint signal on an old Minelab Eldorado to an X-Terra 705 or Eureka Gold, in comparison to ground noise and you'll know what I mean

Coils: coils are much thinner, lighter, less prone to knock sensitivity, and much more consistent these days

As for detector bashing:

I think all detectors have good and bad points, but one detector I really didn't like was: Garrett Infinium. Heavy, bad scratchy audio, random false signals, horrible headphones, flimsy lower shaft, I could go on. In fact the only 2 good points were the screw on battery door, and the rubbery pots.

Haha PT I thought you were going to skate through without having a bash then you gave up the fini. Respect.

OK let's have a general bash...the causal effect of detectors.. It all starts with research, and the techno mumbo jumbo advertising that barely tells you how the bloody thing is meant to work but clearly highlights is the newest best Deepest most advanced detector in its class and has totally been through a rigorous R&D process that none of the previous models has ever been subjected to and where less is more and more is better depending on if something has been added or taken away.
The comes the name dropping of any number of people and the brilliant innovation they have brought to the machine, only thing is how do we really know, who also use technical terms and diagrams and explanations that only those that understand wizardry can invoke a sense of understanding about and then that opens the can of worms about who did what exactly and at the end of the day is only about if it beeps you might be inclined to dig it. Asking questions like how well does it handle mineralization and how deep does it detect leads to answers you need to email to your mate that has a reasonable grasp of photon and quantum physics to translate, when you would accept answers like pretty good and around 10-12 inches. The your silly enough to ask a question like how does detector X stand up against detector Y, and suddenly you've created an argument that can never truly be resolved.
So I vain hope you decide on the type and model and start to look for one. Somehow the budget you began with its never enough, the snake oil salesman pop up at every turn and the dealers are either too busy or not convinced you've been saturated by enough options and out comes alot of pre programmed responses. Noone can really say for certain what sort of after sales service you are likely to get because God forbid you ask that question you'll hear about they guy who had his delivered by a Rolls Royse and has"never had a problem" right down to the other end where the guy "only got mine 3 months later than promised and now it has issues that haven't been resolved 2 years later".
So after getting the machine and going through the is it me, is it the machine phase, you'll spend countless hours out swinging around a probably over priced machine in weather you wouldn't take your dog for a walk in be it too hot or too cold dreaming of all the great finds that lay just within your detectors range only to find that human beings have deposited countless items that every time they pass Underneath your coil your forced into a paradigm of dig or not, then swinging a pick countless fruitless times for the next FUGGET and realizing you paid money and gave up your free time to do it.
Every time you happen up someone who knows you own and use one chances are they will quiz you about how much your finding our are waiting to recall some great story about how someone else's luck turned, and in the event you are doing well is like joining a secret society on who you can tell lest someone starts working your patch. And that's not to mention how your wife or partner feels about all these escapades into the wilderness in search of lost treasures and undug ground.....To be continued. .....

So in search of how to use it better you join a detecting Club or looking at YouTube videos, and slowly begin to think that everyone else in the world really is doing better than you because the persistent thought goes through your mind that if this gold is what I'm being shown what sort of gold are they getting I'm not being told about? After a bit of time you decide to turn your hand to geology only to end up less a geologist and more the recluse, studying ancient maps and topography, hiding out at the local library combing for that tidbit of info that will turn the tiddlers into the retirement nugget. You drive through beautiful towns and wilderness to get to ground that is harsh and unforgiving, and if the Bush has been burnt recently so the better!

As you pull out the detector your studying the skies for distant weather or planes, despite all the grandiose cutting edge technology meant to be packed into the machine, and pull out a downloaded page full of the best settings in some vain hope that the person that published them actually knew what they were doing. If it's winter your worried about the rain (no water proofing) and if it's hot you can't get the headphones on and have at least 1 layer of clothing too many on whilst attempting to snake dodge. The ground is either hard as a rock or sticking to the pick. Your not sure if you put the hi vis jacket on in case there's a hunter around our you get lost or fall down a mine shaft, or leave it off in favour of the camo in case today is the day for the big gold and some other sneaky bloke is out there using you as his guide to gold.

You pull out the detector and like an airplane pilot going through a pre flight check make sure everything is working and set, kit up like a sherpa, and start swinging wishing for a better back. Then the solo detecting mind games really start. If your getting nothing it's a problem, if your getting junk it's a problem, if you get gold it's a problem. All that digging and bending, sweat in your eyes, Flys, hole slap, and walking. Which coil to use.... Is anyone watching? Oh and the days when your out of time and the last target out is shiny! Finally you decide to pack up and return to the normal world and mostly they don't care for your stories, they don't understand your Hunter gatherer instinct. Even the bloke who buys the hard won treasure is less interested about how hard won it was and more interested in getting it for the best price, and you feel a little bit cheap accepting his offer. You have every reason to give the game away and yet you find THE coil you must buy, dream of holidays to go to THAT place or decide on THAT machine to do it all again. Your secretly in love with it but that bloody detector changes everything, like a sweet siren whispering nonsense into your mind. She has a hold on you and you just can't bear to admit how far down the (gold) rabbit hole she has yet to take you.

Rangertell :lol: I know a bloke who brought one of those. What a goose. Its a wonder they don't come with a pair of those Xray Spec's you used to see advertised on the back of comic books, then you could look through the ground and see the gold. Come to think of it, the Rangertell should be advertised there as well. :lol:

Goldpick said:
Micronta 4003, it was the first metal detector I ever owned as a teeny bopper, got be the worst detector I've had the displeasure of owning. I think the fact that it had a lot of silver knobs, a red button on the handle, and a fancy needle display that had me hooked, couldn't really afford much else back then

The shaft was permanently collapsible, the coil sounded off on the slightest bump, and I nearly permanently lost my Dad's wedding ring, which was completely undetectable under 2- 3" of bark in the garden. Good for detecting rebar though. :D

I used to dream of owning an xt17000 or a goldmaster 2, the latest and greatest detectors of that time.

Here she is, what a beauty (not my pic)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1415428638_img_20141108_144026.jpg.
Lol I had one of those, damn brings back
Memories, BAD Memories?
Thank god for detectors like AT PRO
Or the CTX3030, etc... :D
EM

Come on guys this is meant to be "Bash a detector" thread :mad: You've all got too much love for your machines to be here....

I just bought the SDC2300 on it's reputation for finding small gold. I hope it lives up to it because first impressions are all bad. Perhaps we're spoiled by first buying the Garrett ATX and the White's GMT.

We've only just unpacked it which I must say is easy as it comes complete. The first time we turned it on it was embarrassing to say the least. We were on a public beach with a machine that would do nothing but scream it's brains out. It does and EMI scan on startup so there's nothing we could do there. We hit the ground balance button but unlike other machines it doesn't seem to need to be pumped up and down but we tried. We tried all settings and ended on Salt-1 because that was as quiet as we could get. We set the threshold as low as it would go but we never really found a threshold at all. All up we spent about 30 minutes and gave up.

Next attempt we were more careful. We went to the beach at night while it was raining so not too many about. I gave up after a few minutes and left Sandra to it. I went one way with the ATX and she went the other.

Third attempt was last night on a busy beach at Waikiki that where we were snorkling earlier in the day. It was dark apart from street lighting and there was intermittent rain. Still there were a few people about and a few cars stopped at the sight of the headlamps and LED's roaming the beach. This time we used headphones but that was not good. It's not so bad when the detector is just carrying on for all to here but with the headphones on it's unbearable.

Sandra just threw it back in the boot and came and shared the ATX. One digging and one detecting. We found a few coins and a 50mm gold earring. Hopefully it's real gold but can't tell for now.

All in all bringing an SDC2300 to Hawaii was a waste of time, energy and money :(

From my readings it very much sound like the SDC is a "gold detector", i have seen no real great reviews when it comes to beach hunting, you will fare much better in WA!

Moneybox said:
Come on guys this is meant to be "Bash a detector" thread :mad: You've all got too much love for your machines to be here....

I just bought the SDC2300 on it's reputation for finding small gold. I hope it lives up to it because first impressions are all bad. Perhaps we're spoiled by first buying the Garrett ATX and the White's GMT.

We've only just unpacked it which I must say is easy as it comes complete. The first time we turned it on it was embarrassing to say the least. We were on a public beach with a machine that would do nothing but scream it's brains out. It does and EMI scan on startup so there's nothing we could do there. We hit the ground balance button but unlike other machines it doesn't seem to need to be pumped up and down but we tried. We tried all settings and ended on Salt-1 because that was as quiet as we could get. We set the threshold as low as it would go but we never really found a threshold at all. All up we spent about 30 minutes and gave up.

Next attempt we were more careful. We went to the beach at night while it was raining so not too many about. I gave up after a few minutes and left Sandra to it. I went one way with the ATX and she went the other.

Third attempt was last night on a busy beach at Waikiki that where we were snorkling earlier in the day. It was dark apart from street lighting and there was intermittent rain. Still there were a few people about and a few cars stopped at the sight of the headlamps and LED's roaming the beach. This time we used headphones but that was not good. It's not so bad when the detector is just carrying on for all to here but with the headphones on it's unbearable.

Sandra just threw it back in the boot and came and shared the ATX. One digging and one detecting. We found a few coins and a 50mm gold earring. Hopefully it's real gold but can't tell for now.

All in all bringing an SDC2300 to Hawaii was a waste of time, energy and money :(
Well did you smash the useless thing on the ground
After all it is only bash a detector
And it only money lol :D
EM

I guess they should I suppose, I don't really know who to choose as the winner, some have done a great job at it. Who do you guys think should win, you can nominate yourself in this thread too, lol.

I'll keep my part of the bargain, just need to pick a winner, let's try and pick one by next week sometime. I'll put up a pic of the terrible looking prize today or tomorrow sometime. :)

Ok I've narrowed it down to you Goldtarget, Twapster and Moneybox. Now Moneybox was the only one to mention a specific brand and model in their rant (only said rant cause you guys understand that is not an insult, rants can be funny :) ), although when that SDC gets back to Aus things will be fine and it will probably find heaps of Gold sooooo it's not really a deserved bashing of the SDC but very good none the less. :)

Hmmmm Twapster always bloody wins the Sapphire soooo I dunno, would almost not be unfair for him to win again, though was a good effort.

GT, you wrote more than I could really read again but....... there was nothing really venomous in there, I wanted to see Taipan type venomous and aggression. :)

Tough one, will have to drink on it errrr I mean sleep on it and choose a winner.

SD was looking like the real winner but he is MIA, hope he comes back, not a bad bloke just needed to chill a bit, good sense of humour too but lost the humour for a little while there. :( Everyone needed to chill for a bit to ease the tension that was building.

Anyway this thread was meant to be fun, somewhere to vent without clogging up the forum, all in good humour and not a personal attack on anyone. :) Extra smily to prove it.

The prize......... I picked one that is Blue and shows a tiny bit of colour on the edges, is a Hexagonal shape too so you can tell it's a Sapph and not just a rock. :D

1417730828_20141205_085236.jpg

Ill fire a shot. Sdc. Firstly the colour, atx and its green is better than this blue they came up with, it makes it look decidedly dirty, guess you can give it a wash, plastic housing, scratch it up. Nice to see that all that cash buys you housing that more than likey is a recycled bin lid. At a minimum its a left over detector regutted. I wonder is there is a discount if I bring in my own housing?

Head phone adaptor. Enough said if you have seen one. Great its such a "nice" feeling to have to buy a $100 acc just to put the sound through my ears instead of a speaker. Seriously wtf? The designer on that came to work hung over that day or maybe stick one to the company for being under paid, either way derserving of an assault. At least one. From each buyer.

Water proof. Fantastic now we can detect tiny almost microscopic gold from an environment harder to retrive from than traditional gold bearing ground, absolute winner. And tiny freaking lead shot too, just to add to the excitment, because I just love digging a hundred pieces of lead shot everytime I go out. Nothing like adding a degree of difficulty to really make detecting a challenge. Look at this sub gram piece of lead shot I just fished out of this creek, it only took me three hours. And I got wet. What about winter? Wont catch me swimming or fishing for yellow in freezing water, so it useless for a few months of theyear. I dont like wet shoes even in summer. You can wash it. Big eggs. Maybe I dont want to clean it. Any way whats wrong with a cloth and a rag? If its raining well thats different. But I dont like wet shoes. Would it be cheaper without water proofing?

Pin pointing specifically pin pointing using a mono. Like putting the keys in the ignition after a three day bender. It will happen eventually but it will test the patience. On mostly sub gram. Hand clap. Unless its a piece of aluminium, then its easy. It screams. On every piece. Everytime.

Fixed coil. So after 4 grand I get one coil. One coil! A mono. 8 inch. Forever. Fan freaking tastic. It has a swivel. Its still one coil only. Nail in the coffin.

Farout Panda that was nasty, lol, hmmmm I don't have any Green Sapphire bombs, how you going to like the prize if it's Blue? Blue is the colour of royalty, the SDC is a beautiful Blue (I'm biased) and scratches to the housing only add character. :)

Ok your in, my competition my rules.

Just need some nominations from other members, needs to be democratic. Remember you can nominate yourself and or convince/bribe others to nominate you also. :D

Great post Panda.

I would like to take a shot at Garrett Australia if I may???....... :D

Dear Garrett Australia and Retailers of Garrett.

In Australia we have the internet, admittedly not very fast, but it does reach the USA, and some of us use it to see what prices you sell your products for elsewhere.
We know that we "Cant" legally buy your products online from the USA, but some of us who have even better internet connections can Google how to get around this.
Your products would be a lot more attractive at their native pricing rather than the pricing retailers here in Australia are trying to get even when our dollar was at parity.
It seems to me to be a pricing structure more suited to what Minelab are doing, rather than trying to get some traction in our market.

GD

Maybe someone between the manufacturers and the suppliers is milking the system and ripping everybody off,.. probably the same with everything everywhere though. Maybe they are called the middle men, and would be extremely hard to finger from anywhere, and would be found to be most actively involved in shipping and importation, with multiple monopolies and franchise areas all under their control. The sad thing is that they would believe that nothing could happen in this world without their kind of people being active and pulling a kings ransom of worth out of us all along the way. They are probably very active in bringing about restrictions on individuals abilities to bypass them via the internet, and more than a few of them would have moved up into a political position of power over time and caused our industries to collapse and our reliance upon imports of all kinds.

I'd like to nominate Mr Moneybox for looking after my interests. He bought me this dreadful little machine for my birthday (sorry my dear) so I feel for him that it turned out to be such a lousy decision and appalling waste of our hard-earned cash. 8.(

We've not tried it yet in Australia but tomorrow we might just take it to a beach or sandpit to give it a go. The problem is that it makes too much noise with or without the earphones. The best (aka worst) example of how damn intrusive the noise is is that when we turned it on recently all the hundreds of parrots high up in the trees all suddenly screeched and flew off in fear. Their squawking was loud, horrendous and long-lasting... but still the rotten SDC2300 managed to drown them out. :eek: How's that for noise pollution?! Even wearing the headphones around the neck on the shoulders is not enough to reduce the horrendous noise so close to my ears. It is painful - literally!! It would make a great torture device and drive anyone nuts in a short period of time. :mad:

I'm sure there's something that can be done about it but Mr M doesn't want to modify it. He says that you shouldn't have to modify a new machine to get it to work properly. But I say.... just DO IT!!!!!! 8)

Mrs M

Latest posts