Carnelian

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Plenty of agate lying on the gravel bars at the river crossing but at least 99% of it has a thin layer the thickness of a coat of paint on the outside that is coloured, giving the impression that it is that colour all the way through when it's nearly always clear and colourless or translucent white inside. This little bit is one of a small number I've found that are coloured right the way through. I think there is probably more of the coloured stuff there but it's hard to find, being coated in a layer of brown stone that makes it look just like a million other brown stones that it's lying amongst.

15893244245_fc9767b2be_c.jpg

Cheers Cliff. I cabbed another bit from the same piece of agate the other day but it didn't look nearly as good - was a bit washed-out looking. Might have to go looking for some more before too long.

Hey Lefty Nice cab and setting but where the hell is the river crossing. Start with state then nearest city etc for those who aren't in the know.

rough2cut said:
Hey Lefty Nice cab and setting but where the hell is the river crossing. Start with state then nearest city etc for those who aren't in the know.

Queensland.

Central coast.

City of Rockhampton.

Leave Rockhampton and head west on the Capricorn highway. Pass through the small towns/localities of Gracemere, Stanwell and Westwood. Past the Mount Hay gemstone (thunderegg) park and turn left off the highway at the tiny township of Gogango. Drive through the town (which takes about 30 seconds) and cross the railway line. There should be a sign saying "Riverslea". Follow the gravel road for about 15 km. When you come to the sign for the entrance to Riverslea station, keep following the bend to the left, don't go straight ahead as this takes you to the homestead. The river crossing is not far down the road from this point. There is a large gravel bar perhaps 500m long and quite wide, the wood and agate are lying amongst the gravel.

Don't get right up close to the water's edge - those big snapping handbags are in there! :eek: Stay well back from the waters edge and you're pretty safe.

The whole area from near Yepoon on the coast east of Rockhampton, past Rockhampton and right out to around Riverslea is a big swath of volcanic plugs (including Mount Hay itself) and I would love to be able to just roam the area looking for stuff. Old, sketchy records mention the finding of small sapphires and topaz. I know there is agate, thundereggs, petrified wood and almandine garnets - who knows what else you might find in an area that saw so much volcanic activity, if only you were allowed to go looking.

Thanks Lefty now that's what I call directions. Most others would have told me the best agates are on the river bank.

Latest posts