Hall-Xtra Faceting machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking into buying a faceting machine for a while now, not to mention a bunch of other tools and accessories to start making dreams become more of a reality.
Wondering if any of you guys had thoughts on these machines, or advice perhaps on other tried, true and tested units? Any help would be appreciated, been looking at so many different beasts. I have crossed quite a few off the list due to lack of variable speed motors, or crazy import costs...What do you use currently?
What would YOUR dream setup entail?!!

Only used ultratec .. Ask rough2 cut... He has used many machines. New machines are expensive ( I know) . Dosnt matter how new it is . It still won't polish your gem faster , which is most of your time on the machine.
So work out how much time you will use it . It dosnt stop there ... Laps /polish/dops/wax/glue/books/calipers/ loupe/ magnification/lighting....and then endless other things you keep finding out you need.
Be carefull ... So fun/frustrating at the same time .
Also a great way to invent new curse word phrases/ elongated rants . Have a go on the local lapidary clubs machine . They usually have a couple .
Just saying ... But rewarding .
I went in head on. Have two machines ( one old, one new)and only one arm working properly (mine , not the machines:)but both are getting use at the moment .
Fun

Kingsolomon said:
Only used ultratec .. Ask rough2 cut... He has used many machines. New machines are expensive ( I know) . Dosnt matter how new it is . It still won't polish your gem faster , which is most of your time on the machine.
So work out how much time you will use it . It dosnt stop there ... Laps /polish/dops/wax/glue/books/calipers/ loupe/ magnification/lighting....and then endless other things you keep finding out you need.
Be carefull ... So fun/frustrating at the same time .
Also a great way to invent new curse word phrases/ elongated rants . Have a go on the local lapidary clubs machine . They usually have a couple .
Just saying ... But rewarding .
I went in head on. Have two machines ( one old, one new)and only one arm working properly (mine , not the machines:)but both are getting use at the moment .
Fun
Well for someone with two machines and only the one good arm, the gemcuts you are creating look absolutely amazing... Is your older machine an Ultratec too? How do you utilise 2 machines, are there certain things that one machine will do better over the other?

The ultratec is the most accurate but a little noisy. The Halls American type a little under powered,but affordable. facetron has a good reputation.
Aussie machines are the gemmasta which is what I use and VJ made in QLD is great as well.
Gumtree and Ebay have all sorts of machines some of which just need a little attention.

G'day Salutations,

there are many very good faceting machines made in Australia including the ones rough2cut has mentioned. I have 3 machines all from different makers and all have their own great features and also their own idiosyncrasies. You may like to check out what the facetors in a Gem Club near to you are using - They may be helpful with tips and advice.

I saw this on Ebay today - The American built Graves machines may be worth a look at - this one has all you need to start faceting including some rough.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Graves-Faceting-Machine-/111510697952?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I disagree,
Its a left hander and older type head. In fact I owned one for my first machine and cut on it for more than a year. It was under powered and a little noisy. Its an OK beginner machine but hard to resell as a left hand suits a very small number of factors. I hope you don't have an interest in this machine and ive spoiled it for you.

Dughug said:
G'day Salutations,

there are many very good faceting machines made in Australia including the ones rough2cut has mentioned. I have 3 machines all from different makers and all have their own great features and also their own idiosyncrasies. You may like to check out what the facetors in a Gem Club near to you are using - They may be helpful with tips and advice.

I saw this on Ebay today - The American built Graves machines may be worth a look at - this one has all you need to start faceting including some rough.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Graves-Faceting-Machine-/111510697952?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276
Yeah i had bit of a look at Graves units early in the piece, some of the reviews are a little bit damning....I definitely want something that is going to stand the test of time, and not realise 6 months down the track it has limitations on what it can actually do, and how well.
Basically narrowed it down to Facetron/Gemmastas/Ultratek and Halls for the portability factor more than anything, could see travelling around Australia with 4WD and Annex and one of these set up for the wet/down times...So it is really getting down to the 1st three makers, the Halls would more likely be a travelling unit, so therefore more likely to be my 2nd facetor, if it gets to that stage!

rough2cut said:
The ultratec is the most accurate but a little noisy. The Halls American type a little under powered,but affordable. facetron has a good reputation.
Aussie machines are the gemmasta which is what I use and VJ made in QLD is great as well.
Gumtree and Ebay have all sorts of machines some of which just need a little attention.
Thanks for your responses rough2cut! When you say that the Halls is a little underpowered, what does this actually mean? It will struggle to cut anything decent size? Motor issues?

G'day Salutations,

you may find the Aussie machines are a little easier to get serviced and for getting help from other local facetors - the Gemmasta made in Adelaide cost $3,900 + delivery and the Halls-Xtra made by Unamit 234 Mc.Cormack St, Cairns, Qld 4870 Phones:- BH (07) 4053 1474 cost $3,300 delivered. The VJ machine whilst a good unit is well above the price point of the machines you listed. Have a look at their website- www.vjfacet.com

The American made Patriot $3,160 is available from Gemcuts Ballina who are the Australian importers is designed by Laurie Hall and is very, very similar to the Halls-Xtra albeit with a 110 volt motor & transformer. Some cutters also like the digital protractor on the Patriot - don't forget to turn it off when not in use as it chews through batteries. I was at the AFG seminar in September with Liz & Brian Boyle from Gemcuts they were learning how to use the Patriot and were going back to the manufacturer to have a few manufacturing faults rectified.

The current Australian open champion facetor (for the last two years) uses a Halls-Xtra and at the last Gemboree he achieved a 99.8 & 100 for the oblong step cut.

I have a Halls machine that I cart around in my van doesn't take up too much space yet still cuts a very good stone. It is much lighter than my other machines especially the Gemmasta and less bulky. You said you were considering a Halls as a travelling unit might be worth looking at as a first machine it will essentially cut any thing you will want to try and the motor being a variable speed 240 volt will give less problems than an American unit with a transformer.

Each machine has their own idiosyncrasies - you will quickly learn them.

Good luck with your research and which ever machine you get hope all your meets meet.

I know a few other cutters with the Smaller halls style and its the table were you need more pressure to polish and the motor can slow. Not a big drawback.
Just an observation.

New ultratec is $7000 ... Not all American machines have transformers , my new one dosnt. Old one does , thing is ... I'm not sure my new ultratec is such a huge advantage over my thirty plus year old model ( in very good condition) guess time will tell ..

Dughug said:
G'day Salutations,

you may find the Aussie machines are a little easier to get serviced and for getting help from other local facetors - the Gemmasta made in Adelaide cost $3,900 + delivery and the Halls-Xtra made by Unamit 234 Mc.Cormack St, Cairns, Qld 4870 Phones:- BH (07) 4053 1474 cost $3,300 delivered. The VJ machine whilst a good unit is well above the price point of the machines you listed. Have a look at their website- www.vjfacet.com

The American made Patriot $3,160 is available from Gemcuts Ballina who are the Australian importers is designed by Laurie Hall and is very, very similar to the Halls-Xtra albeit with a 110 volt motor & transformer. Some cutters also like the digital protractor on the Patriot - don't forget to turn it off when not in use as it chews through batteries. I was at the AFG seminar in September with Liz & Brian Boyle from Gemcuts they were learning how to use the Patriot and were going back to the manufacturer to have a few manufacturing faults rectified.

The current Australian open champion facetor (for the last two years) uses a Halls-Xtra and at the last Gemboree he achieved a 99.8 & 100 for the oblong step cut.

I have a Halls machine that I cart around in my van doesn't take up too much space yet still cuts a very good stone. It is much lighter than my other machines especially the Gemmasta and less bulky. You said you were considering a Halls as a travelling unit might be worth looking at as a first machine it will essentially cut any thing you will want to try and the motor being a variable speed 240 volt will give less problems than an American unit with a transformer.

Each machine has their own idiosyncrasies - you will quickly learn them.

Good luck with your research and which ever machine you get hope all your meets meet.
Thanks for the info there sir, it has really had me upping my looks at all these machines...Almost convinced myself Halls xtra, definitely going Aussie brand though, watching a vid of the Halls getting manufactured, or part of the process anyway i was impressed, lot of love goes into making these genius tools... i can't wait to get started in a real sense! Still much reading and research to be done til i make the investment but narrowing down the choices now. Thanks really appreciate the input!

Kingsolomon said:
New ultratec is $7000 ... Not all American machines have transformers , my new one dosnt. Old one does , thing is ... I'm not sure my new ultratec is such a huge advantage over my thirty plus year old model ( in very good condition) guess time will tell ..
I keep looking at these machines....They look schmick, pricetag is up there! Interesting you say that you are not sure it hold many advantages of a machine 30 years younger, very much sounds like the skill off the artisan come into play when cutting gems. Looking through some of you cut gems now makes me actually wonder which machines cut what!? Either way nice to get unbiased responses from people in this forum that don't seem affiliated in any brand one way or another, it is refreshing :cool: