Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've Ruled out Julia , come 2 think about it We could Rule the lot out so have I won ?????

L/R

Very good Ramjet, close enough....

In 1954, Bob Hawke was immortalised by the Guinness Book of Records for sculling 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds. Bob later became the Prime Minister of Australia.

What a legend :p

Your go Ramjet

Nyngan.

In April 1990, unusually heavy rains caused major flooding in the town, despite a massive effort by local people to build levee walls using sandbags. With the town almost completely flooded, all the residents had to be evacuated by helicopter from the railway station, the highest point of the town, which was not flooded. Army helicopters, TV news helicopters and private helicopters all co-operated in the airlift. The total damage amounted to $50 million. The airlift is commemorated by an Army helicopter placed outside of the Nyngan Railway Station. Ironically, the flood damage to railway tracks provided the justification to withdraw passenger railway services to Nyngan and the railway station is now a museum.[5]

Nice one BC
Little nod to the old home town ;)

Your turn Backcreek

Edit
This last bit is Not right
"Ironically, the flood damage to railway tracks provided the justification to withdraw passenger railway services to Nyngan and the railway station is now a museum."
Buses Had replaced passenger services in the late 70's.
Only freight trains after that.

Rod

My Turn I believe,

Following their arrest and before their transport to Sydney for trial and subsequent execution on the 25th June 1867, where and how were the Clarke brothers reputed to have been detained?

This one will test you.

Cheers
Mick

They were captured at 'Fairfield' near Ballalaba on 27 April 1867 by a strong contingent of police as instructed by Henry Parkes. The Police were under the command of Senior Constable William Wright and used the services of a noted black-tracker 'Sir Watkin Wyne'. During a shootout Sir Watkin was wounded in the arm which was later amputated, Constable Walsh and John Clarke were also wounded, and the arrival of more troopers under Sergeant Byrne prompted the bushrangers to surrender.

Eventually they were hanged at Darlinghurst Gaol and buried in Rookwood cemetery.

They were captured at Jinden creek. Big mistake was shooting and killing Trooper Miles O'Grady at Nerrigundah in April 1866, a large posse was sent after them but they didn't catch em for nearly 12months. There is a memorial there for him I pass each time I go there prospecting.

DD

Hey Mick, That'd be the tree next to the toilet block, under the Nelligen Bridge, across the road from the fish n chip shop, from where i catch my bream on the way home from Batemans Bay......"close enough"....

Cheers Wal

You got it Wal. Your turn.

I think the shop burnt down some time ago. We used to fill up there on our trail rides from Lake Tabourie to Araluen. We have ridden the dirtbikes through all the Clarkes old stomping grounds.

Years ago I found a foxhole in the scrub on the side of a hill overlooking the Araluen road near Dry creek that could have well been their lookout for the ambushing of the Marouya mail coach.

If you want to know a bit more about the Clarke brothers find a book called "the Bloodiest Buhrangers" by John O'Sullivan.
They were real pieces of work that is for sure.

This book and one called "Bungonia to Braidwood" are responsible for me getting into prospecting.

Cheers
Mick

I don't know fellas. I reckon they weren't captured at nelligen , they were only chained to the tree there overnight night there while being transported to Sydney. Although I may have misread the question :8

DD

The famous Cobb & Co. coach made a great impact on the lives of the diggers and facilitated the movements and comfort of those who could afford the fares. In the early days of the Australian rushes, Freeman Cobb brought two prototype carriages out from the United States and had them copied and manufactured. By the end of the century the Cobb & Co. was the largest in the world.....

???... What was the name (or nick name) of the coach driver who drove the first "All-England" cricket team to visit Australia. For their match in Geelong he drove the cricketers right onto the oval in their new coach pulled by an impressive team of 12 grey horses.

Latest posts