Gold Nugget and Specimen Cleaning Advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzie1957

Wayne Blyton
Reaction score
When I was doing assay work for the lab and had nugs or a speci that the client wanted cleaned, not pulverised and fired, would
use hydroflouric (controlled laboratory environment) to do the necessary. But the world's nastiest acid and not one for the average
Joe Bloe to use.

So have been wondering about some of the other, more human friendly, means of cleaning up nugs?

Hi all, probably a typical newbie question but wondering if you can share with me the best way to clean the nuggets once we actually find the little beggars. So far I have soaked them in soapy water and then used a toothbrush to get just the general dirt and looser type stone off them, and after that I have put them in Hydrochloric? (Brickies) Acid and left them for a week. After getting them out of the acid I rinsed them well and then used the old toothbrush on them again. Still have some Ironstone and quartz that wont come loose, do I just need to leave them in acid longer or is there another way of doing it. I notice that on ebay the nuggets for sale are always very clean and mostly look a little polished? have they been rubbed up a bit do you think. I assume anyone buying them needs them fairly clean to properly assess weight? Any hints would be appreciated.

daalkodetector said:
Hi all, probably a typical newbie question but wondering if you can share with me the best way to clean the nuggets once we actually find the little beggars. So far I have soaked them in soapy water and then used a toothbrush to get just the general dirt and looser type stone off them, and after that I have put them in Hydrochloric? (Brickies) Acid and left them for a week. After getting them out of the acid I rinsed them well and then used the old toothbrush on them again. Still have some Ironstone and quartz that wont come loose, do I just need to leave them in acid longer or is there another way of doing it. I notice that on ebay the nuggets for sale are always very clean and mostly look a little polished? have they been rubbed up a bit do you think. I assume anyone buying them needs them fairly clean to properly assess weight? Any hints would be appreciated.

daalkodetector,
Basically what you have done is the most common way to clean nuggets. Placing the nuggets in an ultra-sonic cleaner ($20-30 at ALDI) between cleans helps also. I alternate between acid and caustic solutions for a week at a time. Final clean is "aluminium cleaner acid wheel cleaner" "READ THE WARNINGS FIRST" and then drain cleaner. Then rinse well.

Thank you for your reply Geoff. I will go and get the ultrasonic cleaner from Aldi and also the aluminium cleaner, is that a liquid that I just put the gold in for a time, then a solution of the drain cleaner (is that the one that is crystals or powder you mix with water?) and leave it in that for a while. It takes a bit to find them so want to make them look as good as possible. Also thanks for putting up the photos, shows how much better they look, (they are both nice looking pieces, sometimes look better left with quartz or rock attached I think). Again, thank you. DD

Hi DD,
The stuff you are after is called alibright from supercheap.
It is a septone product and contains hydrofluric acid.

Hi DD,
Madtuna has got it in one. You are right with (is that the one that is crystals or powder you mix with water?) Use a good condition Pastic Container. I give it about a week each to soak. The ultrasonic clearner come on special every 3 or 4 months at Aldi.

geof_junk said:
Hi DD,
Madtuna has got it in one. You are right with (is that the one that is crystals or powder you mix with water?) Use a good condition Pastic Container. I give it about a week each to soak. The ultrasonic clearner come on special every 3 or 4 months at Aldi.
You can get the ultrasonic cleaners on Ebay for a good price.

Alibright - I checked Supercheap in SA, they no longer stock it. However BCF camping carry it in their boat section. Plenty on the shelf last time I looked.

Thank you to all for answering, I will keep checking back on your hints and pick the bits up as i can. Looking forward to really clean bits of gold.........after I can find the little beggars.

For jewellery gold or nice keepers. The rest goes for sale by weight.

Brick cleaning acid - for ironstone

Toothbrush and water - loose junk

Albrite (mag cleaner) - quartz and ironstone. Put albrite in glass jar - leave then wash.

Sonic cleaners (the Aldi ones are fine)

Meguiars Hot Rims Chrome cleaner also has a small percentage of hydroflouric acid in it. Cleaned up a couple of specimens with it over a couple of days, and it did ok,.

Hello just wondering if anyone knows a safe way to clean specimens which have quartz and ironstone infusd with the gold without having to dolly it up to remove the quartz and ironstone.

Hi Hatter, sorry you had not a reply, it must have skipped through the forum without being noticed!

The only way I know of how to completely remove gold from a specimen is through hydrofluoric acid, and it is not a nice acid at all. I would only recommend it if you know chemical safety and neutralizing. Anything with 'fluoro' in it can be deadly, it soaks into the skin and stays in your system. I do not think there is a 'safe way'.

The acid will eat all of the quartz away, leaving the gold behind. I can help you with this info, but theres massive risks to your health if something goes wrong.

Attempt selling specimens on ebay as many buy them. If you just want the gold, them smash it or extract it in any way you feel.

Leaving it in albrite will slowly break down the quartz but it takes a while (months)
But at least it is a lot safer than hydrofluoric acid

Will diluted Hydrochloric acid work ? I know it already comes diluted but I thought I read somewhere a ~10% solution would eat away at most things. I have a couple of small specks I wouldn't mind cleaning/brightening up. Thanks

Hello and thank you for your replys. I ended up asking somebody About this situation and at the moment I'm using pool acid which seems to be doing the trick at cleaning them. But one should take care when handling any form of chemicals and adhere to all the warning labels on the products.

I found a great link here that explains what hydrochloric, hydrofluoric and alibright ( which has 1% hydrofluoric ) if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/cleaning-gold.html

Working with Hydrofluoric Acid: http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publications/working-hydrofluoric-acid

Also found a comment elsewhere by Oneday69:
when cleaning species I use a solution of 10% hydrofluric acid with all the neccessary parafinaliar to boot.
If you dont take precaution with this acid then DO NOT USE IT.
The quartz comes out white and the gold is yellow. Full strength acid will devour the rock to liquid.

Hey Gang,

1. How & what do I use to remove Iron Stone from my Nuggets...?

2. What do I use to get them sale shiny sparkling like the jewellery pieces I see online...?

Any advise would be great!!!

Reddogg.

Hi Reddogg,

I use a tootbrush and hot soapy water and to scrub the gold and that generally comes up looking good. Not sure with the ironstone, sometimes it falls off when scrubbing. Another method I have used to clean coins etc is put the item in a small glass with a table spoon of bicarb soda and roughly the same amount with White vinegar to submerge the item. The reaction generally cleans off grime and puts a shine on. I usually leave the item for pprox 5 mintues soaking and then rinse with water. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Shaun

Latest posts