Bash a detector thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slipped disc said:
Interesting posts. Heatho states that technology has come a long way with VLF. detectors. Not really. VLF is still old platform. It has only been ''tweaked'' over many years. the basic functions of a detector are just that. Not Nuclear Science. It is the processor that is the brains. We use them because that is all there is. Oh well, if every one is happy with the status quo, then that's all you get, and deserve.

If it is so easy to build a better detector why don't you do it, you would obviously make yourself very wealthy.

It is all too easy to sit back and criticize everything but unless you can put forward a better alternative it sounds like you are ranting just for the sake of it.

slipped disc said:
Interesting posts. Heatho states that technology has come a long way with VLF. detectors. Not really. VLF is still old platform. It has only been ''tweaked'' over many years. the basic functions of a detector are just that. Not Nuclear Science. It is the processor that is the brains. We use them because that is all there is. Oh well, if every one is happy with the status quo, then that's all you get, and deserve.

Mate, the wheel is old technology but we really havn't found a better way to roll along yet. If you've used the old VLF units from the 80's you'd understand technology has come a long way. Of course it's all in the processing.

I really don't understand what point you're trying to prove. What alternatives do you suggest? The new ML machine will be new tech supposedly, "constant current" maybe? Do you have a better idea? We are all listening.

I guess most of us here are just too old to know everything.......... :D

slipped disc said:
Reeks said:
slipped disc said:

Piston engines have been around for 140+ years but we still use them today, old technology yes. Got something better slipped disc?
You can huff n puff that "everyones an idiot for overpaying for old technology" but in all honesty what are the other options?

Technology/smart phones/computers/tv's - yeah they have advanced dramatically, but millions of people use them EVERY DAY OF THERE LIVES.
A detector to find gold and pull tabs? Lucky to be 20,000 serious users Aus wide i'd say.

YEH. jet engines, Rocket engines, rotary engines. even the concept of the jet engine goes back over 2000 years.
you're huffing and puffing, I didn't say ''everyone 's an idiot for overpaying for old technology'' you did -your words. what I said and meant was, if we settle for second best, that's what we get. the main point I make is that the consumer deserves better than old re-hashed technology .

Reeko is 100% spot on.

SD you didn't specifally say "diot" but I think you are inferring it to a degree. Sometimes it's better to quit while you're still ahead. :) You have a good sense of humour and I'm sure are a likeable bloke but farout..........

SD is coming close to winning that super crap dud Sapphire worth $2 a ct, outstanding work, he bashed every detector and manufacturer. If no-one can do better over the next week he's gonna win it. :D

I read on the internet the other day that testosterone decreases after the age of 30.

Never trust what you read on the internet.

PS. Maybe just maybe technology has reached a ceiling and advances are only by millimetres now. There is always a ceiling for everything.

Just a thought.

This morning I took my old technology for a drive in my old 4wd and found some very old gold. 8)
Be happy with what you can afford.

slipped disc said:
Reeks said:
slipped disc said:

Piston engines have been around for 140+ years but we still use them today, old technology yes. Got something better slipped disc?
You can huff n puff that "everyones an idiot for overpaying for old technology" but in all honesty what are the other options?

Technology/smart phones/computers/tv's - yeah they have advanced dramatically, but millions of people use them EVERY DAY OF THERE LIVES.
A detector to find gold and pull tabs? Lucky to be 20,000 serious users Aus wide i'd say.

YEH. jet engines, Rocket engines, rotary engines. even the concept of the jet engine goes back over 2000 years.
you're huffing and puffing, I didn't say ''everyone 's an idiot for overpaying for old technology'' you did -your words. what I said and meant was, if we settle for second best, that's what we get. the main point I make is that the consumer deserves better than old re-hashed technology .

I think you're trolling for a bite, but this fish here sees your old nasty jarvis walker lure my friend.

I can't wait till the new ML machine is out to see you bashing it with all your keystroking might.

Heatho, you got a big nasty bomb for SD? He sure deserves the award!

Ok ill give it a crack.....................I need another sapphire bomb, my VLF is SHIT for Gold detecting! How people can call a VLF a "Gold" machine beats me. I am not saying it wont find gold, in fact it will ping a nugget quite deep, deeper than a PI even, but it will also be pinging on EVERYTHING ELSE and when you are out in a gold field and your machine is SQUEALING LIKE A STUFFED PIG, oh that super soft tone in between the 100 Quacks in the space of a metre....if you can stand that sort of chatter for more than 15 mins you are a better man than me. And please don't tell me i'm using it wrong. I can not believe that people out there use the term "Gold and VLF" in the same sentence as if it is a useful general purpose Gold prospecting machine. I've heard countless posts discussing Gold and that a VLF will find it, but seriously does anyone go out to trashed and junk filled areas with a VLF all day specifically looking for gold? Id really like to know what machine they are using, and more importantly if they have any hearing left....or are their ears still ringing 3 weeks after their last trip.

Is that enough bash? I feel better already Heatho!

Hi Gang,

The SD 2000's With Woody's Mod's have had me finding gold amongst the likes of 4500's & 5000's... i've out detected those machines on a few of occasions when I was firmly told by the gentleman in question I'd be waisting my time & to their surprise I came away with the goods on three separate outings I think a capable operator will turn up gold if he walks over it. The key is knowing your gear I'm now swinging a GP3500 and I'm certain this machine will serve me as good...

Just have a very calm & relaxed positive approach do your homework set up test patches whenever practical so you know exactly how your machine talks to you!

My big gripe is how much cash I've parted with for my beloved hobby... but now I'm getting some results & we have to remember it is Gold your finding after all...

My Mum used to say Money doesn't grow on trees ya know boy, well she was right it grows in the ground!

Reddogg!

From above "My big gripe is how much cash I've parted with for my beloved hobby... but now I'm getting some results & we have to remember it is Gold your finding after all..."

It's not as expensive as buying a new car but the story is similar. You buy a car you've always wanted and you 'pay' for it, buy a car just to get you around and any price will do.
Who is the happier and for how long???
Jaros

Retirement Stone said:
PS. Maybe just maybe technology has reached a ceiling and advances are only by millimetres now. There is always a ceiling for everything.

Just a thought.

Unfortunately the price of advancement does not go up by millimetres......I recall after a certain ML release any advancements in the future will be done via a special port included with that model.....but that did not happen.

Yeah but selling over priced, under spec. detectors to folk that like spending their days digging holes in 40 degree heat with a million flies attached is like stealing candy from a baby.

Only "real" hardcore prospectors are insane enough to part with the big cash required to enter the game.

When Nugget was conducting the raffles earlier this year I thought it was the perfect crime! Selling tickets to prospectors for a chance to win (find) something! Pure genius!

Prospectors mostly are a few cans short of a 6 pack! Now where's my Minelab stubbie holder?

Reddogg_69 said:
Hi Gang,

The SD 2000's With Woody's Mod's have had me finding gold amongst the likes of 4500's & 5000's... i've out detected those machines on a few of occasions when I was firmly told by the gentleman in question I'd be waisting my time & to their surprise I came away with the goods on three separate outings I think a capable operator will turn up gold if he walks over it. The key is knowing your gear I'm now swinging a GP3500 and I'm certain this machine will serve me as good...

Just have a very calm & relaxed positive approach do your homework set up test patches whenever practical so you know exactly how your machine talks to you!

My big gripe is how much cash I've parted with for my beloved hobby... but now I'm getting some results & we have to remember it is Gold your finding after all...

My Mum used to say Money doesn't grow on trees ya know boy, well she was right it grows in the ground!

Reddogg!

Tis why im happy with my modded F1A4, it is much sweeter in the gold fields than the VLF, while I cant discriminate, I can balance out most mineralised soil where the VLF just cant hack.

Yeah Twapster, there are people still using VLF's and finding gold. When I used them I noted the type of ground I was having results in and then sought out similar areas and scenarios. By doing that my find rate jumped instead of going everywhere and anywhere. Not to say a good bit within range anywhere couldn't be found with one, you know what I mean I guess though. Years back I used to run my VLF with the gain too high and sweep too fast. Was noisy. But an old hand showed me one day. He got the machine and buried a nugget and got me to go over it like I would and the ground noise was everywhere, machine squealing and no way would have thought a target was there. He then took it, dropped the gain down from 75% where I had it to about 25%. Im watching thinking "as if your gonna get it down that low". But there it was, a nice discernible signal, softish but one that you would for sure know was a signal, and very little ground noise.
But, there are not as many using VLF's getting good gold as there are Pi users, that's for sure. The PI users are blitzing them in comparison these days.
But before an "Off thread Cop" comes in and pulls me up I better have a bash :D I hate the colour of the GPXs, should have stayed with army green.

Oh the competition is hotting up. My essay writing skills are a little rusty but I'm trying to gauge the competition... bomb or not is still a saph up for grabs.

Latest posts