Unidentified freshwater fish

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan27 said:
They look like a x between a Redfin and a Goldfish. I hope they have a Native predator to keep their numbers in check.
My guess would be Roach, there's plenty of them in there and the bigger Trout, Yella's and Cod love 'em.
A few years back I was trolling a No3 gold Stump Jumper lure just out of Big River arm and caught a 5 1/2 pound Brown Trout that regurgitated a 5 inch Roach in the net which had just been swallowed before taking my lure.
If the Roach are on the surface in the shallows they can be good fun on very small dry flies.

duggy said:
Cheers Ryan27, I wouldn't have had a clue how to present a cricket. Learned something today. And yes, a few coldies helps.

Big Nugget, you da man. Im 99% sure that's it. Hey your just over the hill from me. Im in Marysville.

G'day Duggie,

The roach are great fun if you fish maggots under a 1-2bb float (floating submerged, only tip on surface).

Burley up with breadcrumbs and you are set for a fine afternoon.

after a while the carp and trout will come in for a go. Is grouse fun ;)

Marysville, nice spot Duggy. Worked out of the DCNR office there about 20 years ago.

Havent been out that way much since the fires. Hope all is well up there ;)

Spot on Billy. Will often find roach in yellowbelly & cod stomach contents.

cheers :cool:

Gday Big Nugget,

That makes two of us, I was on the summer crew at Marysville up until 4 years ago. Towns come back to life too mate.
Ill give that a go with the breadcrumbs and maggots. Also on the shopping list is a little 6 1/2 foot 2wt fly rod for getting little dries amongst the sticks. Gets very frustrating when the trout are jumping like crazy but you just cant get to them. I hope im not getting too off topic here but I heard that when trout are jumping incessantly they are in mating mode and will not eat. Anyone heard of this? Sorry im new to forums, this is the first one ive actually joined rather than just lurking, let me know if I should be starting a new topic here.

ProspectorPete- Great story mate. Sounds like they would make great live bait for big trout, yellas and cod. That is if its legal to use live bait nowadays, must check it out in the fishing guide. Getting ideas now :D

That's a nice yella Billy. Only ever caught one. Not that big though. Got him on a mudbug in the big river arm a few years ago when the water was below the old bridge that is well under water now. Thought my lure was just dragging across bottom (I think it was) so shortened my line a bit and felt him. Beautiful eating fish I reckon.

Thanks all for your input :D

Duggy
I'm not an angler through and through, however I think when the trout are going crazy on the water surface ie jumping. In fishing terms they call that the RISE ! Essentially this occurs around the new moon when the lave hatch and begin to float to the surface. If the trout are breaking the surface ie jumping out of the water then they are taking bugs off the surface of the water.( use dry flys )
If the trout are making large rings on the water surface ie they aren't jumping then they are taking bugs that are submersed ( on the way to the surface.) use wet flys...
The experienced Anglers will be able to identify what the trout are eating by observation of what is floating on the water. Also by picking up a rock or log and turning it over to see what lave is on the bottom. Then tie your flys to suit.
For best results with trout try and plan your trips around the RISE.
Cheers Ryan

Ryan27 said:
Duggy
I'm not an angler through and through, however I think when the trout are going crazy on the water surface ie jumping. In fishing terms they call that the RISE ! Essentially this occurs around the new moon when the lave hatch and begin to float to the surface. If the trout are breaking the surface ie jumping out of the water then they are taking bugs off the surface of the water.( use dry flys )
If the trout are making large rings on the water surface ie they aren't jumping then they are taking bugs that are submersed ( on the way to the surface.) use wet flys...
The experienced Anglers will be able to identify what the trout are eating by observation of what is floating on the water. Also by picking up a rock or log and turning it over to see what lave is on the bottom. Then tie your flys to suit.
For best results with trout try and plan your trips around the RISE.
Cheers Ryan

Ah-ha, I never thought of any difference between jumping and "swirling" trout and always assumed if im seeing rings in the water to use a dry fly. Also never made the connection with the moon cycle. Beauty, next new moon is only a couple of weeks away. Hopefully i'll improve on my tally (1) of fly caught trout soon and post a few pics. Cheers for the info mate.

Latest posts