Trove Resources information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, stumbled across this the other day doing some research. great collection of on line maps. reports and other articles from all libraries around this wide brown land

In conjunction with Minerals Maps it is invaluable. Right down the fact of where the wash is, presence of nuggets and lots of places not listed.

Trove http://trove.nla.gov.au has many accounts of alluvial miners working terraces next to a river where I am using by Highbanker. The database on news report provides extremely valuable information how oldtimers worked the same area.

I thought I was doing ok but it turns out I am mainly just putting the overburden through the HB not the good stuff. It does make me wonder if we did exactly what the oldtimers were doing we would bring a lot more gold back at the end of the day from the same places.

Sydney Morning Heralds 5 August 1902 said:
"There are now about eight parties sluicing, all within a mile of the township, Scott and Dyer, about half a mile down the creek, have now their waterwheel working. This party has an extended claim about 1 acre in extent there is from 4ft to 6ft of overburden a light sand and beneath that there is fully 5ft of wash. The width is not yet known, but it appears a sorts of terraces, probably 100ft will not take in the width.

The wash is is granite, with a mixture of sandstone, diorite and porphyry, and sluices freely. A little closer to town Doyle und Bunn occupy another flat which realized from one weeks sluicing 3oz. "

The thing I like about Trove is a lot of the time
it will give descriptions of the type of gold found
also. I found a lot of good info on my mates
property that I could'nt find elsewhere, had a
description of the gold, names of people working
the claims. I think our local butcher is probably
even related to one of these early prospectors in
this specific area, same name, same occupation,
uncommon name.

The thing you also have to remember is that it can sometimes also give you a bum steer. Some of these reports were second and third hand information, I have seen a few articles where names and places have been mixed up a bit and can get confusing.
But it is an excellent recourse with some gems as well.

Hi all, not sure if it's been posted before but stumbled across a site called 'the trove' while researching questions and answers for the australian history thread.

The site can be found here

http://trove.nla.gov.au/

It's basically a site That displays digitized version of old newspaper articles, images, maps and books. It's really quite interesting. It's run and administered by the national library of Australia.

In terms of prospecting it may be useful to help find old maps and articles about gold and mineral prospecting. :)

I agree Trove is a great resource and just an interesting site to have a bit of a look around on. Easy to use too :)
Gotta love research, but if you asked me in my schooling years I would have had a different opinion on the matter of looking up history etc :mad:
Now that I love it I just blame it on gold fever etc etc :/

Redmanti said:
Trove tells you at what depth to dig for the wash layer at individual locations. Very handy...

Really? Would love a bit more detail on the above comment...

The father-in-law was stoked when I found the returns of his father's claim up in the Mitta Valley listed in The Argus during the Depression - even though he was using his twin brother's name at the time to avoid paying child-care. I have used Trove nearly from it's beginning to research Family History...it is certainly a great resource. If you do use it, please consider taking the time to do a few corrections to the text while you are reading; the digital transcription leaves a bit to be desired due to the condition of some of the scanned images. Cheers.

Marked said:
Redmanti said:
Trove tells you at what depth to dig for the wash layer at individual locations. Very handy...

The father-in-law was stoked when I found the returns of his father's claim up in the Mitta Valley listed in The Argus during the Depression - even though he was using his twin brother's name at the time to avoid paying child-care. I have used Trove nearly from it's beginning to research Family History...it is certainly a great resource. If you do use it, please consider taking the time to do a few corrections to the text while you are reading; the digital transcription leaves a bit to be desired due to the condition of some of the scanned images. Cheers.

If you read the Trove newspapers and are a bit patient it does give you information on where to dig.

Eg., at what depth the wash layer is and what it is made from. I know for example that at Yambulla it is from 2-4ft before you hit the main wash layer.

When we dig on a short visit we often don't get to where most of the gold is on a single trip on the diggings.

Yes, I will do editing from now on. Good idea.

Redmanti said:
Marked said:
Redmanti said:

If you read the Trove newspapers and are a bit patient it does give you information on where to dig.

Eg., at what depth the wash layer is and what it is made from. I know for example that at Yambulla it is from 2-4ft before you hit the main wash layer.

When we dig on a short visit we often don't get to where most of the gold is on a single trip on the diggings.

Yes, I will do editing from now on. Good idea.

..... and Turtons Creek, 6 foot on slate bottom from memory

casper

For those who use it for research I just got this reminder from Trove.

Just a friendly reminder that Trove will be unavailable from 5pm AEDT on 22 February until 25 February.

Please make sure you save all of your changes before the outage. Trove 7 is coming!

http://trove.nla.gov.au/general/about

About Trove
Trove helps you find and use resources relating to Australia. It's more than a search engine. Trove brings together content from libraries, museums, archives and other research organisations and gives you tools to explore and build.

Trove is many things: a community, a set of services, an aggregation of metadata, and a growing repository of fulltext digital resources.

Best of all, Trove is yours, created and maintained by the National Library of Australia.

1462436839_booms.jpg

Not just cut as in slowed down, as in no new additions and their staff sacked.
Damn. I really enjoyed looking up stuff I was interested in and getting the emails that stuff I requested had been added, usually within days :(

Latest posts