Mornington Peninsula Metal Detecting Club

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackavc

Simon
Reaction score
is any out there interested in a monthly get together to share finds, tip, hints ect. Contact me at [Email address removed, please use link in profile - Nugget]

I'd be interested to just find areas on the peninsula to try my luck......beaches and footy ovals are good , but Id like to find old maps so I can see any homesteads that are now gone.

This is a slightly desperate plea. My name is Lucie, and I lost a silver angle of sentimental value on Sorrento Bay Beach on March 1. I live in Sydney so it's very difficult to follow this up. Someone told me there are people who regularly use metal detectors on the beach, but I have no idea how to contact them. I'm just wondering if anybody could help me. Thank you.

Lucie, that's a bit vague , There are are a couple of beaches in Sorrento. There is what's called the "back "beach which is the surf beach and then there are a couple of beaches that are on the the Port Philip Bay side.
So which beach are you talking about.
Then we'd need to know the approximate area that you think you lost your bangle, and was it high up on the beach or in the water.

The more detail you can give us the better chance we have of finding it, IF it hasn't already been found
cheers Keith

Thanks so much for the reply Keith. Im chasing up exact details from friend who was with me that day and who knows the area properly. As soon as I have them I will post.
Lucie

Hi All,

I have a situation similar to Lucie. Keith, are you out there??
I lost a very very special necklace on the St Andrews Beach back beach. I have a very good idea about where it is including photos to better locate it but we've been looking for it for hours tonight with no luck. I'd be eternally greatful for anyone who might be able to help.

Please get in touch if you can - magentaburgin at gmail dot com

Thank you in advance.

-Magneta

MagentaB said:
Hi All,

I have a situation similar to Lucie. Keith, are you out there??
I lost a very very special necklace on the St Andrews Beach back beach. I have a very good idea about where it is including photos to better locate it but we've been looking for it for hours tonight with no luck. I'd be eternally greatful for anyone who might be able to help.

Please get in touch if you can - magentaburgin at gmail dot com

Thank you in advance.

-Magneta

Any Luck??

G'day MCCABBIN welcome to PA, this is an old thread and I doubt you will get a reply for your question, I could be wrong but doubt it. You should start a thread in the Introduce Yourself threads and tell us a bit about your prospecting experience / hopes and what gear you use or if you are just starting out. Plenty of info here if you use the search icon top left for any topic of interest.

Hi from Mornington. Just new to detecting and panning, would like to learn much more. I have not purchased a detector as yet, not sure what to get. Would like to chat with people with same hobby. Maybe some feedback on what unit to buy and why you think that. Been looking at Minelab and Fisher units. Just not long retired and looking forward to trying my hand at it. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi LJay

There is a lot of info on the forum on this subject but you need to search to find it and also start a seperate thread for your post if you want people to reply.

A lot depends on how much you are willing to spend and how fit you are. If you dont want to be digging big holes you go for a 2300 if you want to chase bigger gold and dig bigger holes the Zed or the 5,000 seem to be the go. All are expensive and it is not easy finding gold, many people pay big dollars for the equipment and rarely use it as they get dissolutioned when unable to find the gold.

I myself have a 2300, it finds small gold (lots of junk) but you generally dont dig deep holes. I am not fit enough to be digging big holes but love getting out in the fresh air and bush.

Also it is a long way from Mornington to decent gold bearing ground that is if you are after gold. If you are looking at coin shooting etc you need to make that clear as it is a whole new ball game as far as which detector to buy.

Good luck,hope this helps.

Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob ..I will be working the beaches nearby around Mornington. I also have a caravan that will get me to places where gold could be found some distance away. I have been looking at quite a few different detectors, and then looking at the reviews that users put in. It would appear that the Minelab Equinox 800 would do both jobs for me as a starting detector. They say it is a bit complicated for the new guy to use, and it would take some getting used to. It is waterproof and should be ok for beach work. Later we will be getting around in the caravan to other locations.... maybe where gold could be found.. fingers crossed. Thanks again for your help and comments. Regards ..L Jay.

Hi all, my name is Louise I unfortunately lost both my engagement and wedding bands on the front beach at the Sorrento Sailing Club just today (a couple hours ago). My husband just went back with a rack in the area we were sitting but couldn't find them. I was relieved to discover this forum and community. Do you have any advice for me? Would anyone with a detector be available in the upcoming days to help us find them? The area is just by the left ramp of the club and the lost area is quite small but we think they are buried in the sand... We are quite desperate as you can imagine! Thanks in advance, Lou.

Hi Louise. I'm sure someone on the forum lives near there and good luck with the search. Might pay to watch the forum for an answer--Fingers Xed.
Jaros

Hi all, if anyone is prospective near the Sorrento Sailing Club this week, I can share my contact details and meet them there to show the exact area where my rings were lost. Thank you and looking forward to hearing back!

Latest posts