Garrett Pro-Pointer vs Minelab Pro Find Pointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the Garrett guys will say the Garrett Pro Pointer and and the Minelab guys will say the Minelab :D I own the Garrett Pro Pointer and I have not had any problems with it. I do know that a lot of the new Minelab Pointers have been sent back to the dealers due to problems, and a lot of Minelab users are not happy with the product. I also know that if you take a Garrett Pro Pointer anywhere near a Minelab GPX5000 that the GPX goes nuts. I couldnt have mine anywhere near each other, even when the Pointer is turned of :/ I know make a habit of walking around the goldfields with my Pro Pointer hidden in my pocket ]:D Only Kidding :lol:

Mmmm I guess it depends on the target, I know the Garrett will go at least 2 inch's. But if its a large target it will obviously go a bit deeper. I will get mine out a bit later and test it :D

I read a comparison and don't ask me where but I think if you Google "minelab smartfind v garrett pro pointer you should find something. From memory it said the minelab pointer had a bigger range and like Pete the Prospector said the Garrett doesn't help when gold detecting because of interference with the Minelab Gold machines, however the Minelab pointer does not have this problem. Hope this is of help to you.

Their are several different brands of pro pointers in the market but the two most popular are Garrett and Minelab.

My son bought the Minelab a few weeks ago and I recently purchased the Garrett. I thought it might be helpful to others considering purchasing a pointer to here what we thought of each brand. Someone said they are not a metal detector but the price of them are not cheap so it is good to get as much info before making the plunge. I can tell you that they make a world of difference once the target is found with the detector in speedy retrieval.

67F378B3-323A-4F36-93CB-AC397CC9F97A_zpscfhixxs9.jpg

As you can see - each pointer comes with a belt holster, and a working pointer. They are almost the same size (Minelab is a couple of mm longer) and are both very easy to use.

I understand that some folks may have had different experiences with theirs over time - and this is reviewing them in brand new condition and they have both only been out a handful of times.

As far as functionality goes - they both performed very similarly, with in the field the Minelab was a little more sensitive than the Garrett - which surprised me because our bench testing was the other way. They both identified targets well and I really can't say that one outperformed the other in that regard.

The Minelab has a higher pitch audio signal than the Garrett - and has a volume control as well as the ability to be on vibrate only mode. The Garrett does not have this functionality. The Garrett's lower audio was good with volume without being too loud.
BC2486B7-73B6-445E-AE23-B05A92187FAA_zpskqieyj7z.jpg

The vibration the pointer makes as it gets closer to the target is a handy indicator - especially if you have difficulty hearing. The Garrett seemed to be more "lively" in its indication than the Minelab but both were good and really buzz when they are on the target.

84FB387F-9FFA-42B7-A0D5-AA5FEE06185F_zpsuyybkof7.jpg

The advertising on the Garrett boasts double the battery life of any other pointer with an LED light on it (both have a light) which remains to be seen.

The Minelab pointer's shaft is slightly smaller in circumference than the Garrett meaning it could squeeze in a screwdriver hole a little easier.

The Garrett's holster is a little bit better made allowing you to attach it to the belt with Velcro and a snap while the Minelab version requires you to slide your belt through a loop in the back.

1B66D4ED-4909-404B-A995-D8E880C3E63E_zpsjqkkqdcx.jpg

I am splitting hairs here - both pointers are excellent in what they are designed to do and either one will do the job.

For me I spent $25 less for the Garrett than the Minelab so that to me was the biggest difference. The main difference in functionality was the volume control/mute mode on the Minelab so if that is important to you you might choose that one. So whether you use the small functionality difference or price to make your decision - I'm sure you will be happy with your choice. :)

A very informative post Paulmarr, thanks for taking the time to share your findings with us. I own a Garrett Pro-Pointer and couldn't be happier with it, although my only gripe (now) is the price since the increase in October.

The rubber rocker switch is not for volume control, it's for reducing or increasing the sensitivity of the probe, depending on how hot the ground is. The pro-find will also start beeping after several minutes of inactivity, so if you accidently drop it in the dark, just need to follow the beeps to recover it. After 8 minutes, the profind will turn off to save batteries.

Great review all the same, you don't often see a unbiased side by side comparison of both probes. :)

Good review on them...my son has a Minelab one but after the trouble I have had with the garret falsing and to pull the board out to find the 2 wires crossed over and not sheathed I will be going minelab if I cant get a switch for this one..

G'day fellas, just putting my kit together, got a Gpx 5000 , 8'1217" monos , rooster booster, scales (just arrived in post), good bag have two good picks, , etc last trip out decided after lotsa digging needed a pro pointer, tossing up between Minelab and garret, any difference.? Finally weighed my nugget, came in at 3.62gms so that was a good find for 2nd trip out?. anyone have a good equipment list....???? Scrubby

If your coming home with 3 gram bits
Your equipment is adequate :D
But if your wanting a pinpointer / the new trx is the go
Apparently !
But I'd rather put that money towards a second battery ?
Or spare handle !
Or power leads !
Do you have snake gaiters ?
And a first aid kit ? :)

Buy a plastic nugget scoop for running material over the coil, and get the pro-find over the propointer, as it won't interfere with the gpx when turned off.

hey Scrubby52 ive owned both types,the garrett when i was using a GP3000 and then traded them for my 5000 and a mine lab pinpointer they pretty much work the same only dif being the minelab wont interfere with your 5000,it now sits in my cuboard and gathers dust, except for when the mrs goes for a hunt with the xterra she loves it and dosnt go with out it......"whateva blows ya hair back honey" :rolleyes:

seen the new whites tx pin pointer today, looks like a great bit of gear, it picks stuff up over twice the distance the garret pin pointer does. not sure how it compares to the minelab pointer as I've never used the minelab.
regards tm

Go the Minelab. I have a GPX5000 and have tried both pinpointers. The Minelab doesn't interfere with the 5k like the Garrett one does.
The minelab pointer will still interfere, to some degree, with your 5k but all you do when pinpointing a target is to make sure you lay the
detector aside. No problem. And the Minelab seems a better pointer as well.

Thanks crew, detecting is a lot like fishing, need the gear and time on ground to get results, got a freezer full of trout :) , now to get some more rattles in my ....specimen jar :)

Latest posts