How to clean Silver Coins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An effective method for cleaning Silver Coins is to get yourself a box of Bi-Card Soda (Baking Soda), adding a very small amount of water to about a tablespoon of the Bi-Carb make a thick paste and lightly rub the paste over the coin until you are happy with the results, repeat as necessary. This method doesn't visibly scratch the coin but as always you consider as to whether or not cleaning the coin will de-value it, I wouldn't recommend cleaning a key date coin for example.

Below is a coin I recently cleaned using the Bi-Carb method, it only took about 2-3 minutes to clean.

Before
1363149015_20130309_131503_resized.jpg

After
1363149036_20130313_150955_resized.jpg

Thanks Nugget I used your method on the stuff I posted the other day and mostly they turned out great and like you say they take no time to clean. Cheers Rick

G'day all,

bi-carb soda works great

Try the following method - The missus uses it for all her silverware - it works extremely well on those hard to get into crevices in jewellery without needing to remove & reset the stone if you want a really good clean. Also all those tarnished silver mugs etc.

"to clean silver line the bottom of a saucepan with aluminium foil (or use an aluminium saucepan) and warm 500 ml water with 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda. Immerse your jewellery thoroughly (or whatever silver item you want to clean) leave for several minutes then rince well & dry."

Voila all clean. Its a fanbloodytastic method - no rubbing or scratches give it a go!

I have tried the Bi-Carb method on an old Penny but it seems to dry the coin out more than anything. For Copper, try warm soapy water and soft brush then soak in Olive oil for a few days. Personally, I don't bother cleaning Copper coins anymore as the results (for me) have been rather disappointing and not worth the effort.

I tried the BiCarb method on these Florins but it did not work, I think it's sap from the pine tree the coins were found under, then I thought of "Gumption" after cleaning the shower the other day.

Both coins were in a similar condition, the one I cleaned came up pretty good, still not perfect though, now it can age gracefully again. Also tried it on a 6p which was resting against a 3p for a long time and removed the circle metal stain also.

Not bad stuff for cleaning very dirty and discoloured coins, I think a very fine clay with soap might do a similar job, I wouldn't use it on really valuable coins but worth a shot on stubborn stains. Took about 20 mins with a scrubbing brush too.

The Japanese used fine clays as the final polish on their top Katana swords.

1413581983_20141018_082750.jpg

My mother used to enamel on copper, to clean the copper she would use a mixture of salt and vinegar this is a particularly aggressive method and takes a very short time to see results and leaves the copper very pink and lacking a patina not sure how it goes with other metals try it on some scrap before using and don't use it on really valuable coins

a cheap and nasty alternative to fine clay is cigarette ash, a dampened finger dipped in an ashtray will polish up silver or brass, again very aggressive and not recommended for anything really valuable

Heatho said:
I tried the BiCarb method on these Florins but it did not work, I think it's sap from the pine tree the coins were found under, then I thought of "Gumption" after cleaning the shower the other day.

Both coins were in a similar condition, the one I cleaned came up pretty good, still not perfect though, now it can age gracefully again. Also tried it on a 6p which was resting against a 3p for a long time and removed the circle metal stain also.

Not bad stuff for cleaning very dirty and discoloured coins, I think a very fine clay with soap might do a similar job, I wouldn't use it on really valuable coins but worth a shot on stubborn stains. Took about 20 mins with a scrubbing brush too.

The Japanese used fine clays as the final polish on their top Katana swords.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1413581983_20141018_082750.jpg

Mate you have to soak them and electrolisis
Especially the silver coins after 1946 as
They are 50% silver then bicarb
Pre 46 are 92% silver and are easier to clean
I'm talking Florins, 6p, 3p,shillings etc
1966 round 50c PC have a high silver
Content and are also easier to clean
EM

I recently went to queensland for 8 weeks and left a 5 cent piece in salt and vinegar solution.
When I returned, the 5 cent had been cleaned OK , but had reduced in size.
It was so thin that you could bend it easily with your fingers.

Nugget said:
I have tried the Bi-Carb method on an old Penny but it seems to dry the coin out more than anything. For Copper, try warm soapy water and soft brush then soak in Olive oil for a few days. Personally, I don't bother cleaning Copper coins anymore as the results (for me) have been rather disappointing and not worth the effort.
Citric acid cleans copper verh well...Yoh can get it from woolworths. ..table spoon in a glass...leave a few minutes. ..or until clean :D

Please look up the book value of your coins before cleaning. If you ever want PCGS to grade them you can find you had a coin worth some $$$ and once cleaned is almost worthless.

Hi Old Mate

This is solid advice. Having been a coin collector for many years I have been advised by my coin dealer as follows:

We can detect a cleaned coin, if it has been cleaned it will devalue the coins value. All coins should only be washed off any soil,dirt on them by soaking in water and them rubbing them with your fingers only to dislodge the dirt and grim. He then gave me an example. He shoed me the samples. It was a key date half penny. 1923 value uncleaned $2900 value cleaned $1200. Enough said.