Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one more...

1413448903_slimeyone.jpg

A Tiger at the foot of Mt Bogong, Victoria about six years ago. It was coiled up when I passed it in the car but by the time I'd taken three or four photos it decided it was warm enough to try and get me so I backed off and put a bigger lens on the camera.

:D :D :D

Sorry Lambsy,

Can't really stand them myself either, its just that they are so sneaky and evil looking....they just want to bite you :eek:

There are only a couple that want to bite you. The rest are pretty friendly, a bit like dogs. Tigers are like cranky dogs all the time and the browns are like
potentialy cranky dogs if stirred up. Most of the others will run away unless you corner them.

HeadsUp said:
Jaros said:
""some species of snakes may see infrared as can birds , so they may be more likely to strike unprotected areas where they see heat , hence my desire to improve the height of leg protection.""

By geez HeadsUp, in that case a few of us will need "waders"!!!!! :eek:

waders ?

dont be silly

just get a very very big gumboot 7 feet tall that you can climb inside of and squat down inside while someone pushes you around the paddock

logical or wot :D

:8

on a more serious note ;

http://www.workbootsusa.com/wolverinew30079.html
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...slayer-waterproof-snake-boot-w30079-6.gif.jpg

i cant find out yet if the zipper is made of metal . to be advised

and note the full leg snakeprotex on the bottom line , $ 288 though ;

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/414/1413362423_full_length_gaitors.jpg

What a great looking set of boots. All leather and water proof. Even if the zipper is metal would it make that much difference? I don't detect that close to my legs.
Might have to look at getting a pair of these.

A mate of mine holds the Australian record for living in a snake pit, went and visited him in the middle of the night when he was going for it, went down in the pit with all the snakes but drew the line at holding the red belly black

Chatting to a bloke today and I'll repeat it here. No tale of adventure ever stated with "So this snake bit me on my gaiters. ..." Pretty sure I'm more likely to die in a car crash on the way there, but hey that's just my way of thinking. :D

If I was getting paid by the hour for all the time I have spent talking to boot manufacturers around the world and researching these things I would be a brazillionaire (nearly almost maybe)

Don't rush to buy them until all the maths is on the table unless you have an urgent need , there is alot to the design requirements

The best ones don't just have leather , they also have a composite synthetic material that stops fangs

Leather on its own is NOT Enough

Before I buy any of the USA hunting boots I want the manufacturer to show me research reports to allow me to determine that they will also be 100% reliable for all of our snake species

Goldtarget said:
Chatting to a bloke today and I'll repeat it here. No tale of adventure ever stated with "So this snake bit me on my gaiters. ..." Pretty sure I'm more likely to die in a car crash on the way there, but hey that's just my way of thinking. :D

Totally with you on that one mate. I've got half a dozen prospector mates who have been killed in car accidents over the past 45 years gallivanting all over the country side, and not one killed or even bitten by a snake. Covered thousands of kilometres through thick bush and sparse desert country, and never had an issue with them.

Do I see snakes.... of course I do, seen hundreds and been up close and personal with several. Keep your eyes on the ground, and be conscious of the type of terrain they fancy. Snakes only require respect, and if you leave them alone they will leave you alone.......Ohhh..and when your driving keep your eyes on the road and don't fall asleep.... it could kill you. ;)

A mate of mine was riding his bike on the M7 bikepath today and confronted two brownies, both around 1m long. Much of the land along the M7 was once farmland (and not as far back as one might imagine) and the snakes decided to hang around and have become accustomed to living around urban homes and freeways.

WalnLiz said:
.....Ohhh..and when your driving keep your eyes on the road and don't all asleep.... it could kill you. ;)

and keep your arm inside the window in snake country, hear stories of snakes getting flicked up by the front wheel and hitting an unsuspecting arm hanging out the window

I think having gaitors on could potentially lead to some people being a little too adventurous in snakey spots, they may give a bit of a false sense of security. Even with them on I still would not venture into long grass, log piles, very heavily leaf littered areas and rock piles. If you do get into these types of spots in Summer you're begging for trouble. You can pretty much assume there is a snake in every Blackberry bush, under every log and in every rockpile, I do.

Wal is spot on about keeping eyes on the ground and mindfull of their favourite terrain.

You are statistically more likely to die on the drive to or from prospecting.

Fear eliminates all rational thought and behavour, its the same fear reaction terrorists thrive on.

I am more fearful of the snakes in my neighbourhood that may break into my house. :eek:

I am a bit skittish around them, thats for sure but when ever I seen them they are headed in the opposite direction (usually) and if bitten and remain calm, keep the heart rate low and we will survive.

Gaiters, compression bandages are some great insurance in your pack.

No snake will get between me and gold!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I was mentally scarred by a brown chasing me as a teen, I have no problem with the calm snakes going about their business, but if one decides he will chase my family or pets..... Well that's not something I'll tolerate at home.

This thread is a good giggle I reckon. Lived in country areas all my life & in over 40 years I personally know only one person ever bitten by a snake. She's still alive! The only other cases I hear of are usually people trying to kill or catch them! Don't do this & statistically the chances of getting bitten are almost zero.
The only close encounters I have had with snakes have usually consisted of me heading one direction the snake the other. Seen a few this year & again the majority have been on roads.
I should start selling gaiters & belly button high boots to all the cockies around here but I think I'd go broke. They're in the "paddock" every day & never seen them wear more than sensible long pants & sturdy boots at best. Shorts & thongs get a run sometimes too - only on Saturday or Sunday though :lol:
Lucky I've got aircon so I don't need to wind my windows down in "snake country" :rolleyes: :D
Seriously fellas - respect them, be aware they're about, wear sensible attire but you don't have to spend extra in my opinion, keep calm & continue prospecting/fossicking as normal!

talking about appropriately dressed, the wife and I were parked at a well next to the old stamper on gumvale station along the camerons corner road when the station owner turned up to turn the pumps on appropriately dressed in his boardies and thongs, next day when I had to do a bit of settling up wth him I gave him a couple of snakebite kits I had in the truck, just had a feeling he was appropriately dressed to get a nip on the foot..It was only 6 months before this I'd had an encounter wth an inland taipan in the area, not too much hope if your venomated by a taipan out there, phill

mbasko said:
This thread is a good giggle I reckon. Lived in country areas all my life & in over 40 years I personally know only one person ever bitten by a snake. She's still alive! The only other cases I hear of are usually people trying to kill or catch them! Don't do this & statistically the chances of getting bitten are almost zero.
The only close encounters I have had with snakes have usually consisted of me heading one direction the snake the other. Seen a few this year & again the majority have been on roads.
I should start selling gaiters & belly button high boots to all the cockies around here but I think I'd go broke. They're in the "paddock" every day & never seen them wear more than sensible long pants & sturdy boots at best. Shorts & thongs get a run sometimes too - only on Saturday or Sunday though :lol:
Lucky I've got aircon so I don't need to wind my windows down in "snake country" :rolleyes: :D
Seriously fellas - respect them, be aware they're about, wear sensible attire but you don't have to spend extra in my opinion, keep calm & continue prospecting/fossicking as normal!

there is nothing silly in what you wrote , but i think its silly if i keep pushing my way through waist high blackberry and dried leaf litter without having some protection

to each their own :)