Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup some think a small 1 wont kill yas, FRIK.
Just the same as a big 1 the poison.
Must have been sooooo drunk, prob a nunga
as he went to the camp.
Sad sight in Laverton all that drinking,
But why did not they chase him up as they know he was bitten.

How's this for a brown snake...

1413287705_little-brown-snake-190114.jpg

Apparently a snake this size (about 120mm long) is just as deadly as a 2m adult. This one was outside my tent on a camp last summer. I admired it for a while then just let it be.

Yep the little ones are just as deadly but the snake in your pic isn't poisonous at all. It's a type of shovel nosed snake. Full grown they get to around 40cm. The head shape is a dead giveaway.

nuggetino said:
Yep the little ones are just as deadly but the snake in your pic isn't poisonous at all. It's a type of shovel nosed snake. Full grown they get to around 40cm. The head shape is a dead giveaway.

Probably good news since it was right outside the door of the tent when I went to come out. At first I thought it was a worm. It was wiggling about but not making much headway. At a slightly closer look (before I got my peepers really close) it looked like the tail of a lizard that dropped off after a bird attack. Not really knowing what species it was and just assuming it was a nasty one I thought best to let it be.

It makes me wonder how many snakes this size fall victim to birds though.

A western Brown has colour on his head when young.
and They are a very good looking snake,lol.
But I can tell you in that a small brown snake can open
his jaws very wide for a bite.ok.
The thing I have with the little 1s is that you cant or there
friken hard to see them on the ground.
+ they get in the mally stump during winter time
and, Lol, I tend to bring a few home.
But Its not like there are there to attack you,
they live in australia and I go around them.
I read the cane toad kills a lot of snakes up nth way.
Me I hurt nooooo wild life,
All Creatures great and small.

Unfortunately for the victim he is another statistic who died trying to kill this snake.
The "snakeman" used to travel around WA country shows explaining to the public the dangers when encountering a snake. He had a huge Western Brown in a bag and before he released it he asked the public to stand back from the surrounding fence. Some of the gung ho's carried on leaning on the rail. Snake out of the bag and in a flash it was at the fence. Those leaning over were probably out the door and still running. The handler went on to explain that more people are bitten trying to kill. A King Brown could be hanging off your knee cap before you even raised the shovel.

Nightjar said:
Unfortunately for the victim he is another statistic who died trying to kill this snake.
The "snakeman" used to travel around WA country shows explaining to the public the dangers when encountering a snake. He had a huge Western Brown in a bag and before he released it he asked the public to stand back from the surrounding fence. Some of the gung ho's carried on leaning on the rail. Snake out of the bag and in a flash it was at the fence. Those leaning over were probably out the door and still running. The handler went on to explain that more people are bitten trying to kill. A King Brown could be hanging off your knee cap before you even raised the shovel.

some species of snakes may see infrared as can birds , so they may be more likely to strike unprotected areas where they see heat , hence my desire to improve the height of leg protection.

just for the record , studies have shown that some species of birds can see up to 15 frequencies of the colour spectrum including infrared , we see only 7 basic colours but there are many more colours than what we understand so i give credibility to the infrared heat aspect of snakebites

""some species of snakes may see infrared as can birds , so they may be more likely to strike unprotected areas where they see heat , hence my desire to improve the height of leg protection.""

By geez HeadsUp, in that case a few of us will need "waders"!!!!! :eek:

Jaros said:
""some species of snakes may see infrared as can birds , so they may be more likely to strike unprotected areas where they see heat , hence my desire to improve the height of leg protection.""

By geez HeadsUp, in that case a few of us will need "waders"!!!!! :eek:

waders ?

dont be silly

just get a very very big gumboot 7 feet tall that you can climb inside of and squat down inside while someone pushes you around the paddock

logical or wot :D

:8

on a more serious note ;

http://www.workbootsusa.com/wolverinew30079.html
1413362527_wolverine-serpent-slayer-waterproof-snake-boot-w30079-6.gif.jpg

i cant find out yet if the zipper is made of metal . to be advised

and note the full leg snakeprotex on the bottom line , $ 288 though ;

1413362423_full_length_gaitors.jpg

Seems people on a lot of forums are commenting on the number of active snakes spotted. Saw 2 red bellies and two browns up Inverell/Glen Innes way recently. Not sure how many I did not spot slipping away.

jimnyjerry said:
Seems people on a lot of forums are commenting on the number of active snakes spotted. Saw 2 red bellies and two browns up Inverell/Glen Innes way recently. Not sure how many I did not spot slipping away.

:eek: Run FOREST, run. feets - do ya thang. :p

RadioGuru said:
How's this for a brown snake...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1450/1413287705_little-brown-snake-190114.jpg

Apparently a snake this size (about 120mm long) is just as deadly as a 2m adult. This one was outside my tent on a camp last summer. I admired it for a while then just let it be.
I can't be 100% sure but this pic looks like a leg less lizard to me. Notice the small flap kind of looking thing on the sides of its tail, they would be it's legs, these normally are around 12cm in size
Oh and yes legless lizards have legs they are just so small skinny and useless that they can't be called legs or used as legs

1413410882_tiger_snake.jpg

Saw this Tiger on the way to Baileys Rocks in Western Vic. He looked to be happily sunning himself and when we got out to have a look you could tell his back was broke and had been ran over.

Not sure if he was dead but he looked alive and I was not going to get any closer to find out :p

Cheers

Hi all, Was out for a look around Hillend, Hargraves, Windeyer, Pyramul and Turondale on the 2nd and 3rd October and saw a few Brown snakes on the road between 2-4 foot long :eek: . None while bushwalking but i made sure i made plenty of noise. Lots of frogs noises at night so there is plenty out there for them to feed on. Was also down Moruya way about late August and there were plenty of Diamond pythons around the property i stayed at. Really healthy beautifully coloured specimens :) . Will try to post a pic (havent posted pic before).

Cracka.

Ok enough you blokes, enough of the snakes. I hate snakes.

I woke up in the middle of the night in a sweat from dreaming about the bloody things.

Nugget help a guy out and lock this topic off. Lol