Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I think last year must have been a bumper breeding season for them.plenty of frogs to feed on down our way last 2 seasons
P

So far in the last 2 months
I have been out 4 times
for a total of 11 snakes
1 taipan 4 red belly blacks
and 6 browns

Just hoping our trip to the palmer is snake free

Was at minersden the other day noticed they sell snake gators but I've seen big red bellies stand up tall enough to give me a kiss so I recon a Kevlar body suit would be better lol

Digginholes said:
Was at minersden the other day noticed they sell snake gators but I've seen big red bellies stand up tall enough to give me a kiss so I recon a Kevlar body suit would be better lol

PMSL :lol:

Once while looking for blue tongue lizards I crouched down to look through a pipe on the ground to see if there was anything living in it I had a 2m brown snake come out and slither straight past my face, by the time I realised it was there it was close enough to get me, I had all sorts of things run throughout head but was frozen stiff as it went past, I've had quite a few snake encounters and I recon the best thing to go is not make any fast or threatening movements that will scare them, be aware and back away slow and calm unless one is already angry and comes at you then run like hell lol tiger and browns are known to be territorial and chase people so I also make sure I have some thing to put between me and them like a long handle shovel ;)
Also most snake bites occurr when people try to kill the snake. . Leave them be and they'll let you live( most of the time anyway)

So I am not normally happy to see something death and run over on the road but when it is on the road outside my house I am glad that the safety of my 4 kids (10,8,6,4) is OK for now.

Living in the bush Capital has its advantages but I am close to the centre of town and the War Memorial not even out on a great river bank panning for yellow.

1412895127_snake.jpg

PMSL, I just sprayed coffee all over my key board. :lol:
Thats a ripper.
Just add water eh??
I better go clean this mess up. :D

HeadsUp said:
AuFever said:
So I am not normally happy to see something death and run over on the road but when it is on the road outside my house I am glad that the safety of my 4 kids (10,8,6,4) is OK for now.

Living in the bush Capital has its advantages but I am close to the centre of town and the War Memorial not even out on a great river bank panning for yellow.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1347/1412895127_snake.jpg

Hmmm

Ikea snake

Flat pack

Just a quick historical note - some of the very early Vic Goldfield Newspapers used to list snakebite victims, usually with a weekly 'tally', sometimes up to 6 per week. New chums soon learnt or died.

Sandta said:
Paydirt said:
Bear G would get a meal outa that
Bite their heads off ... Suck their guts out ... Throw their skins away :lol:
Nah mate...he would use the skin as a con dom or something, maybe blow it up as a improvised flotation device :D

I ran over a small brown snake last Friday on the way home from work.... and it felt so good :cool:

Here's another option, I've purchased these, they seem comfortable enough, not 100% sure about the underfoot strap but time will tell how durable it is ..... must say feel a lot more comfortable roaming around in grass overgrown debris with these on.

http://snakeprotex.com.au there's also a vid demonstrating a snake attacking them.

Haven't come across one out detecting (I still belt the shite out of trees and rocks as detect) but as Nugget indicated having driven over 1 and from also having 2 on the road they are definitely out there.

Also trying to find a good compression badge ..... just in case.

Sweet dreams, Tom

I have the same ones. :D
I know that there are so many variables out there but these to me seemed to be the best though I would like to see them a bit higher.
Time will tell. (Hope Not)

Teemore said:
Here's another option, I've purchased these, they seem comfortable enough, not 100% sure about the underfoot strap but time will tell how durable it is ..... must say feel a lot more comfortable roaming around in grass overgrown debris with these on.

http://snakeprotex.com.au there's also a vid demonstrating a snake attacking them.

Haven't come across one out detecting (I still belt the shite out of trees and rocks as detect) but as Nugget indicated having driven over 1 and from also having 2 on the road they are definitely out there.

Also trying to find a good compression badge ..... just in case.

Sweet dreams, Tom

Latest posts