mines and underground mining images and stories and history

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi nuggett i would like to thank you for adding this category for people like me how go down and map the mines for a hobby/fun adventure :) if you don't mind i will be posting pics on this topic and history of the mines i go to and what i find there and history of the mine and how they mined etc. it if not okay to post on this topic pleaze remove ill be adding some new stories verry soon and they are quite interesting i think anyway :)

It's no problem so post away mate, I enjoy reading through your posts. Just don't go too overboard with the pics as it'll slow down the page :p

The best gold find in late 2011 i was exploreing mines in north east vic. i went down one of the mines i was looking for when i got down the bottum of this 60meter deep old mine i found a small tunnel at the bottum of the shaft and in that small tunnel had a small hand size quartz vain i doug some of it out of the wall and behind it was a small bit of gold my first words wore shit wow lol thats w...hat i kept saying cos i was stoked of finding a quartz vain with real gold in it dad was up top and heard me so he came down on the rope to see what all the fuss was about when he got to me he said whats wrong i said shit dad said what shit i dont see any i then said look here he said i still can't see any shit but i can see what looks like gold. I said yes gold so we doug/chiped out of the roof quartz with gold in it and put it in a bag we had at the time we ended up with about 45kg of gold bareing quartz that we luged back up the same shaft by rope when i got home i crushed up by hand in a dolly pot and a crow bar upside down waching it. I ended up geting about 16 grams of small gold from panning that i melted into a pure man made blob/nugget . A week later we went back and chiped out another 50kgs of gold bareing quartz and crushed up 5kg of the 50kgs i got and out of the 5kgs i got a few more grams of gold witch i added to my 16 gram man made nugget witch was a total of 21grams the rest of the 45kg quartz i kept and sold a few bits as species in the quartz the rest of it i swaped for a rock crusher that made things eazyer then i ended up swaping my 21gramer man made one for my first detector a garrett at gold from bryan and went detecting for gold on the surface and found a 8gramer and 12 gramer allready with it. if you would like to see the doted gold reef i found the end

Keep them coming Hunter I am enjoying the read. Why would the old timers leave easy stone that seems to pay well. You have me wanting to explore the mines that I know of around Gippsland
Do you want to be my guinea pig because you wouldn't get me down any unless I knew it was worth it :D But if I wanted to your threads and advice would make it a lot safer for the uninitiated.

Gippy said:
Keep them coming Hunter I am enjoying the read. Why would the old timers leave easy stone that seems to pay well. You have me wanting to explore the mines that I know of around Gippsland
Do you want to be my guinea pig because you wouldn't get me down any unless I knew it was worth it :D But if I wanted to your threads and advice would make it a lot safer for the uninitiated.

i ant anyones guinea pig m8 the reason why it was left simply because they had to move more waste rock [non gold bareing slate] for little reward back then but these days it would be worth it

See we'll have you all standing up on hillsides like mia cats scanning where the vegetation is struggling in comparison with the rest. Those old-timers theories are worth exploring.

latest find to date was a 12gram nugget found with a garrett AT GOLD detector so hear i was 1 day exploreing this very unknown gold field in the north east i decided i would catch a train from home up to a old town build while the gold rush was on anyway i got off at this stop and rid by bike 14kms from the train st to where i expected to find gold the ride was peacefull except for the hills i rid up with my detector and back pack on my back i got to my destnation at around 12pm took me 1 hour and 20 mins to get there i decided i would detect a few old hut sites i in about 5mins i found several targets 1 was a old fog watch cog and 2 old bottons and one siver botton and a old miners pick i also found a 1948 penny coin after finding all these good relics i then came accross some old diggings and water races i decided i would try the water race first the first target was a bit of rusty sheet metal the second target was gold my 12gram nugget first words worere wow i was jumping and i looked like a clown not that anyone saw me but lol so i put my 12gram nugget in a container and put it in my detector bag i then went 14kms back to the train st to go home it cost me only $2.20 to get my 12gram nugget a week later i went back and near the same spot by car i found a 8 gramer so i raked a small area and found another 1.6 gram nugget mum and couldent belive that i had found the 12gram nugget just a few weeks after owning a detector i still go back to this area to this day but havent found any gold since then will have pics soon

2010 i call this one quartz specking useing just your eyes one day in 2010 me and dad took a trip to some mine site in north east vic we got to the mine at around 10am i spent some time looking around and found the slag heap or tailings of the mine i was looking to see if i could spot gold in the quartz peaces left behind by the early miners i started takeing random quartz peaces and inspecting/looling at them closely in 2 hours of looking i found 3 bits with gold attached to the quartz bits i put them in a bag and kept looking by the end of the day i came back home with 8 peaces of quartz with visable gold in them i crushed up all of them except 2 peaces i ended up with 2 grams all up from 4 species i still go back to this area to this day but havent been back there in 5 weeks

Latest posts