What is a good gem / stone for a beginner to learn with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden Tiger

Trent
Reaction score
Hey all,

During my fossicking trips I have gathered up quite a few gems and stones along the way, I'm curious as to what gems or stones people would recommend for a beginner to try faceting or cut and polish.

Ultimatly I would like to cut and polish some of my agates from queensland and opals from cooper pedy after some practice of course.

G'day Golden tiger,

Would generally suggest trying cutting a cabochon as a first with petrified wood as a starting first stone. P/wood is easy to come by, affordable and cuts a nice stone. Agate is also a good starting stone but due to the crystallisation can some times be challenging. Leave the opal for a bit later - I would recommend you join a club they are generally willing to help you get started.

If you are looking at faceting quartz is a good starting place- cheap and relatively easy to work. Leave your sapphires for a bit later. I've cut glass found on beaches and in the gold fields - it doesn't matter what you start on though just get started!

Enjoy your cutting :)

At the lapidary club I go to the first thing they give you to cab is petrified wood then the second is obsidian. As for faceting they start you on quartz.
Ive just noticed how old your original post is....
What did you end up cutting and how is it all going Golden Tiger?

Latest posts