Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snakes and me have an "Understanding",...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone. To date they have always kept their side of the bargain and generally been an "asset"....as they seem to be extremely good at "Crowd control". :D

From yesterdays Dunolly Welcome Record (community newsletter). As always, take care in the forests - avoid moving dead-fall, old tins of metal sheeting (heaps about), take care at the dams.

SPRING SIGNALS SNAKE SEASON
The arrival of spring weather in the Loddon Mallee region means that people are getting outdoors at the same time that snakes are starting to become more active.
Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) Wildlife Officer Glenn Smith said that snakes are emerging from their winter hibernation to bask in the sun
and to search for food and a mate. The recent sunny weather also means more people are spending time in their gardens or in parks and forests,
Mr Smith said. So as people and snakes become more active it is quite possible theyll encounter each other while enjoying the outdoors.
Eastern Brown Snakes are most common in the north west of the state, with the occasional Tiger Snake or Red Bellied Black Snake encountered around wetlands,
creeks and rivers. These three species are all dangerously venomous.

I've come across my fair share while fly fishing in small streams, had a red belly black go across my feet on the bank while watching my mate wading and casting, I saw it coming and just froze, whispered to me mate and he didn't believe me but when he came over to look he did the JC and ran on water, I was trying not to laugh at the sight of him while the bloody thing took it's time to move on.
The worst I had was when looking for a spot to fish and walking up to a wire fence in a paddock, leaned over the fence to see better and feeling my foot move from underneath.........oh shit!!
I jumped and ran so hard and my mate (same mate) had a confused look on his face until he looked down and saw the angry tiger that I'd just stood on, suffice to say we didn't fish there.

Crowd control ? How about do I need a spare pair of undies. Hate them. always have . always will!! The more I prospect the more I see them the more I prospect in the cooler months. I usually visit common areas to get my fix of gold in the warmer months.

I came across a RBB one day and couldn't believe has fast they move. Thank God it was moving in the opposite direction to me. I've heard you should walk heavy, stamp your feet as you walk through the bush to signal you're near, so they get the chance to move off before you're on top of them... Not sure how effective that theory is...?

Very effective actually... just make a bit of noise kicking sticks rocks whatever and they will head the other way.

Seems to be a boody good deterant. PMSL.

WalnLiz said:
Snakes and me have an "Understanding",...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone. To date they have always kept their side of the bargain and generally been an asset....as they seem to be extremely good at "Crowd control". :D

Out here east of queanbeyan its snake city at the moment,i do prefere to have the red bellies around to keep all the aggresive tigers and browns away ,the only downside of the redbellies is that they arent too kind to dogs and can bring on big vet bills if you can get there quick enough.
So far the dogs have been quicker than the snakes

WalnLiz said:
Snakes and me have an "Understanding",...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone. To date they have always kept their side of the bargain and generally been an asset....as they seem to be extremely good at "Crowd control". :D

Might have to take a few fake ones out to the Forde :eek:

December 2012: An inner-suburban Adelaide Family was shocked to find a 1 metre long brown snake happily curled up under the baby seat in the back of their family car.

The family believes the snake may have been hiding in some copper pipes they transported in the car the previous week. The serpent obviously preferred the relative opulence of the back seat of the family car, and decided to stay along for the ride.

It was only by chance that the childs mother noticed a small amount of movement under the seat, causing her to look closer. I felt physically ill, she said.

A snake catcher was called in and the entire back seat had to be removed to retrieve the unlucky serpent.

Yes it's that time of the year again, seen three browns in fifty meters of gully this arvo.

I want to find or make snake gaitors that come above my knees

If walking up steep terrain the snake could be at my thigh height so these knee high ones would be only 50 % reliable

I have snakeguardz already but might get some of these snakeprotex things to add above the knee if they wont sell me some of the fabric

has anyone seen gaitors that come higher than the average 40 - 45 cm ?

a big snake can rear up 2 - 3 feet :/

Local vinnies has a pair of leg waders; the sort of thing that many trout fishing people might use.

Not sure of the size but would stop any snake bite, but could be a tad hot.

HeadsUp said:
I want to find or make snake gaitors that come above my knees

If walking up steep terrain the snake could be at my thigh height so these knee high ones would be only 50 % reliable

I have snakeguardz already but might get some of these snakeprotex things to add above the knee if they wont sell me some of the fabric

has anyone seen gaitors that come higher than the average 40 - 45 cm ?

a big snake can rear up 2 - 3 feet :/

Latest posts