You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Greglz86
02 October 2014 11:45 am

Already spotted my first redbelly black on sunday. Not to big but big enough for me to pack up and move to the next spot. Particularly since it decided to make the hole I dug its home for the time being. ops
So watch your step out there guys. You wouldnt want to trip over this guy
http://www.parkeschampionpost.com.au/st … e/?cs=2452

Greg

MJB
02 October 2014 11:57 am

That is crazy!!

Gear used : Garret pans, mini sluice, Highbanker/sluice, Dry blower, Rock crusher and Minelab Pro-find pointer, MineLab XT17000

slipped disc
02 October 2014 11:58 am

Cheers Greg. AHHHH, the great outdoors. wink

AHAAA,another 6 inch deep pulltab. Yippee, a 12 inch deep pulltab - SOV.XS.

Twapster
02 October 2014 12:05 pm

Bugger, going out this weekend and the one thought that was in my head is ....snake season approaching! It seems the browns love to come near the side of the road in spring. Just cant seem to outgrow my phobia, I hear any rustle and think the worst!

Peter. Love trout fishing, gold prospecting, sapphires,have Highbanker, pans,sieves ,X-terra 70,F1A4,GPX4500. Bring it on!

TheFossickingKid
02 October 2014 12:10 pm

I was coming home from Hill End last weekend and counted at least 3 snakes on the road (dead) so that means that they are out and about. neutral

I'm just one kid with a pan, 3 sieves, a school built Highbanker, and 1 sluice.

slipped disc
02 October 2014 12:13 pm

Twapster wrote:

Bugger, going out this weekend and the one thought that was in my head is ....snake season approaching! It seems the browns love to come near the side of the road in spring. Just cant seem to outgrow my phobia, I hear any rustle and think the worst!

Feet - do your thing. :lol: damn pesky critters. funny , they are protected and we aren't ? :o
years ago when I used do some shooting, I have had snakes come after me, mbe young nearby. saw a group of tigers, 4-5 stand on their tails like cobras and bark like a small dog. they heard us coming but weren't gonna move.

AHAAA,another 6 inch deep pulltab. Yippee, a 12 inch deep pulltab - SOV.XS.

Greglz86
02 October 2014 12:37 pm

Watch "Catching Wild Rabbits using Snakes: BAREHANDED Ra…" on YouTube
Catching Wild Rabbits using Snakes: BAREHANDED Ra…: http://youtu.be/Wynx1ukwdVA

I think I might track this fella down and take him along for my next dig haha wink

1 user likes this post: bazza2210

LC76
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
02 October 2014 01:34 pm

I was in the whipstick recently walking through some loose sticks and kicked a stick out of my way.
The bloody stick somehow snagged on another stick making the other stick swing around behind me tapping me in the back of my leg.

I got air for the next 3 meters nearly had to change my jocks.

I remember when i was a kid on the dairy farm in Gippsland and watching dad running for his life up the track from the dairy.......Big yellow boots and shorts.......Big tiger snake chasing him lol..dad was never the same after that.

2 users like this post: AngerManagement, Twapster

dwt
02 October 2014 04:06 pm

LC76 wrote:

the other stick swing around behind me tapping me in the back of my leg.

I got air for the next 3 meters nearly had to change my jocks.

Hahaaaa, been there a few times, even in winter. lol

swing it..dig it...wash it...pan it...LOVE IT..

2 users like this post: AngerManagement, LC76

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
02 October 2014 04:30 pm

We hunted rabbets the same way but using ferrets....

Problem was getting the ferrets to come out, if they happened upon a few kits...

Crackers were always a handy tool, but alas are no longer so easily obtained.

Best find - The Wife # Equipment - X-Pointer x 4, Nokta Fors Gold Plus, Excalibur II, CTX3030 and a Minore III with custom wood - and lots of other stuff

stevo
02 October 2014 04:56 pm

I can handle snakes they dont bother me one bit, but spiders make me scream like a little girl smile

Minelab GPX 5000..Eldorado River Sluice..

1 user likes this post: isolation

vic
02 October 2014 05:01 pm

Going to Sofala on Wednesday hope they stay away from me never seen one while prospecting yikes

MineLab Sd2200d, MineLab X-Terra 705

Grounded
02 October 2014 05:10 pm

There is a red belly black resident at Coles Bridge. Right where people have been digging into the bank of the Turon at the southern end of where the car park / camping area is.
It was happy sunning itself right next to the waters edge in plain view when I saw it 2 weeks ago.

Lambs73
02 October 2014 05:21 pm

I bloody hate snakes.

This one time, I was under my mums house in cairns checking for termites for her. Crawling along on my belly I came face to face with a taipan.
I can tell you all I near on stood up through the bloody floor boards, smacked my head and backed out quicker then the flash.

Claret pouring from my head, heart pounding and near on shite myself.

So yeah, I hate snakes.

1 user likes this post: Sandta

kawman
02 October 2014 05:53 pm

my old prospecting mate is an old abo elder.. he has eaten snakes, crocks and lizards ect... And likes snake meat a lot... I am sure he will kill any he sees in a flash and dig a hole to cook it in.. hmm he says he doesn't need a prospecting licence to be on his tribes land and will dig a hole anyplace he likes and hunt where he likes........ neutral

1 user likes this post: Digginholes

XIV
02 October 2014 07:02 pm

Im in fnq
There always out and about
Red belly blacks are the least of my worries
It's the brown, king brown and the taipans that you need to watch out for

One can never be wrong at doing the right thing.

Digginholes
02 October 2014 07:12 pm

Last week at native dog creek I seen a huge tiger snake sitting in the middle of a walking trail

Digginholes
02 October 2014 07:17 pm

stevo wrote:

I can handle snakes they dont bother me one bit, but spiders make me scream like a little girl smile

Ha ha me too, snakes no problems spiders he'll no

WalnLiz
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
02 October 2014 07:26 pm

Snakes and me have an "Understanding",...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone. To date they have always kept their side of the bargain and generally been an "asset"....as they seem to be extremely good at "Crowd control". big_smile

Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

2 users like this post: Tathradj, TTKooAu

loamer
02 October 2014 07:28 pm

From yesterdays Dunolly Welcome Record (community newsletter). As always, take care in the forests - avoid moving dead-fall, old tins of metal sheeting (heaps about), take care at the dams.

SPRING SIGNALS SNAKE SEASON
The arrival of spring weather in the Loddon Mallee region means that people are getting outdoors at the same time that snakes are starting to become more active.
Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) Wildlife Officer Glenn Smith said that snakes are emerging from their winter hibernation to bask in the sun
and to search for food and a mate. ‘The recent sunny weather also means more people are spending time in their gardens or in parks and forests,’
Mr Smith said. ‘So as people and snakes become more active it is quite possible they’ll encounter each other while enjoying the outdoors.
‘Eastern Brown Snakes are most common in the north west of the state, with the occasional Tiger Snake or Red Bellied Black Snake encountered around wetlands,
creeks and rivers. These three species are all dangerously venomous.

ProspectorPete
02 October 2014 07:56 pm

I've come across my fair share while fly fishing in small streams, had a red belly black go across my feet on the bank while watching my mate wading and casting, I saw it coming and just froze, whispered to me mate and he didn't believe me but when he came over to look he did the JC and ran on water, I was trying not to laugh at the sight of him while the bloody thing took it's time to move on.
The worst I had was when looking for a spot to fish and walking up to a wire fence in a paddock, leaned over the fence to see better and feeling my foot move from underneath.........oh shite!!
I jumped and ran so hard and my mate (same mate) had a confused look on his face until he looked down and saw the angry tiger that I'd just stood on, suffice to say we didn't fish there.

STUMPY Picks, GPX6000 and a lot of old areas to revisit

Danielkrupski
02 October 2014 08:42 pm

Crowd control ? How about do I need a spare pair of undies. Hate them. always have . always will!! The more I prospect the more I see them the more I prospect in the cooler months. I usually visit common areas to get my fix of gold in the warmer months.

isolation
02 October 2014 08:55 pm

I came across a RBB one day and couldn't believe has fast they move. Thank God it was moving in the opposite direction to me. I've heard you should walk heavy, stamp your feet as you walk through the bush to signal you're near, so they get the chance to move off before you're on top of them... Not sure how effective that theory is...?

stevo
02 October 2014 09:09 pm

Very effective actually... just make a bit of noise kicking sticks rocks whatever and they will head the other way.

Minelab GPX 5000..Eldorado River Sluice..

Tathradj
02 October 2014 09:18 pm

Seems to be a boody good deterant. PMSL.

WalnLiz wrote:

Snakes and me have an "Understanding",...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone. To date they have always kept their side of the bargain and generally been an asset....as they seem to be extremely good at "Crowd control". big_smile

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.