Quartz vein

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFossickingKid

Angus Madden
Reaction score
1411855990_image.jpg

Found these at the turon river yesterday. Was just wondering if I should crush them or try cracking them open.

Hi there mate, I'm not positive, but I do not feel that the rocks you have there are of any use, you are after milky white quartz, large, with iron ( orange or red ) inclusions, crystals and pyrites / semi-metals on the rock you want to crush.

These seem more like river rocks, BUT they are telling you that quartz is nearby. Keep searching and find where the quartz gets larger. ONLY chase quartz if you know gold is in the area, otherwise you are just chasing quartz.

Pretty much, if you find some nice deposit of gold, you will find nice quartz and sometimes specimen quartz.

Another thing to keep in mind is, those rocks are rounded, meaning they have traveled a long way to become that shape. Reef quartz is very sharp and jagged as it has not been through a creek or eroded down a hill for long.

Where are you searching and how? Can you post a photo of the area you are looking and I will see if I can help out!

if you have a metal detector you would test for a signal from the rocks

if no signal then its no gold

if you get a signal its either gold , iron or other magnetic elements

from my moderate experience gold can occur in milky white quartz that has black veins through it , can also occur in light brown coloured quartz , or mixture of cream to brown colours

HI all, Just adding on to what HeadsUp has posted about using a metal detector to test if your rocks contain gold. Your minelab pulse induction machine will generally be able to pick up gold down to about .2 of a gram if the gold is solid and with a small coil and the right settings The new ML 2300 go's one better as it can pick up more porous tinny bits the other pi's cannot see.
A better machine to use is a vlf machine to look for specimen gold but are more subject to a lose in sensitivity and depth in mineralized ground. In my opinion the best two machine for this is the Gold bug 2 or your Whites GMT
BUT The best machine to use to test rock samples is the Falcon MD20 . It dose not go deep but will pick up targets that you may need a magnifying glass to see or you may need to break it open to see the target .
Failing all that you could just put it in a dolly pot and pan it off. Cheers Greg :cool:

Save these ones for the garden TFK. Can I suggest looking under this same heading...Hard Rock Prospecting, and following Darryns thread "Types of rocks to look for". This will help shine some light on the types of rock to keep an eye out for. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Got some pics of "bucky" quartz that came from a bearing reef I'll try and get them up for you buddy so you have something to study stay tuned.

Always a great idea to check out all the rocks with quartz within them TFK as this will gain you the experience to isolate the gold bearing ones. The best ones to concentrate on are the quartz varieties within reefs, though occasionally some river warn rocks will contain gold, they are generally not the ones to concentrate on. Best of luck out there mate,

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for that Wal I can't wait to get some gold bearing quartz rock It would look good in the collection. Will keep an eye out for the odd shape and size rocks that have quartz veins through them next time I go out.

dwt said:
Now thats what i dream of every night i don on my cotton sox and crawl into bed...............................that and and a bunch of sexy girls in bikini's holding the pan :lol:, oh crap!!! here comes the mrs, gotta go :D
:lol:

Awesome pic's there ArmstrongIndustries, helps us noobies know what to be searching for thanks.

dwt said:
Now thats what i dream of every night i don on my cotton sox and crawl into bed...............................that and and a bunch of sexy girls in bikini's holding the pan :lol:, oh crap!!! here comes the mrs, gotta go :D

Gotta keep your hands warm somehow like Dr Ironwood. :D

Latest posts