Best classifier material for highbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a regular design highbanker I don't think you can go past straight bars...
Easy to clean out/unclog(if they do). Depending on sluice size between 8-10mm would be my aim for the bar gap.

for pumps, I got a small Mitsubishi 2stroke 1" pump.

My little Highbanker was only 8-9" wide from memory that little pump was ample to run it at about 1/4 throttle. 115LPM max

Most medium bought highbankers are around 10" wide. Several blokes I know run them on similar pumps to mine at around 1/3rd throttle.

2Strokes are noisy(ear plugs...), but they are light. Mine is 5.5kgs I recal...

Figure out if you're going to need to carry the unit any distance as this will be a key factor on the size unit you build & size/type engine you use.

I think the little Steeltec is a great little pump for small to medium sized higbankers/sluices, and at 6.5 Kilos (dry weight) its easy on the back. I haven't had mine up and running as yet, but a buddy has one and had it going at Tuena a few weeks ago. He was stoked, it had plenty of output for his highbanker, much more than what he really needed even at idle. It was very quiet, that is compared to other pumps he heard going at the time. I guess it comes down to the style of highbanker one has and what sort of volume and velocity is required to get the riffles working properly..

I'm not sure if the stated flow rate of the steeltec is actually correct, I'll have to investigate that, I suspect it may be under stated, which is unusual as most pumps tend to overstate the max flow rate. I think the steeltec would be marginal for the larger width highbankers with hungarian riffles. A few of the forum members saw the Steeltec running at Tuena and were quite impressed with it. Its Chinese and cheap but seems to do the job for my mates highbanker which is a hungarian riffle style at around 8 inches wide.

Some good news for the members in Canberra and Queanbeyan.. I was out and about in Fyshwick this morning (no Fyshwick jokes please :)) and found a new metal shop, oddly enough the shop is called the metal shop :)

Inside was a display board of the types of grates/grilles and screens they have.. some were ideal for use in highbankers! The grilles come in large sheets, around 1.2 x 1.8 metres, but was told they would cut to size!

The Metal Shop
5 Collie St
Fyshwick (02) 6162 0237

1368582877_photo9.jpg

Man I need a shop like that here, and Wal spot on with the WX15 cant go wrong with that little pump.
The last trip we used a wal reproduction banker and used the WX15 and handled it with no problems and could of even run 2 smaller bankers.
Cheers
Brad....

wow that is one small flowing pump mate, a $50 bilge pump will put out 2500 GPH (9463.529 litres) it wouldn't cut it i'm affaid, i run two bilges 1100 and 2500 and i could use more pressure

goldbug said:
Making a highbanker at the moment and for the grizzly have settled on an old oven grille a mate picked up at the tip. Fits like a glove. I think the fun part of making a highbanker or any other prospecting gizmo is the give-it-a-go aspect, try one thing...doesn't work, no worries, try another..

BTW: If anyone is after a petrol pump for their highbanker these are great little unit and very cheap at only $167 delivered :)

http://www.megamachinewarehouse.com...nline-products/steeltec-big-river-water-pump/

http://www.megamachinewarehouse.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/water-pump-300x300.jpg

I was in the same Fyshwick shop "the metal shop" on the weekend Goldbug thinking the same. There is a web site for the Locker Group listing all the sizes etc which is helpful.
JML
Jeff

Attention Golddig. Don't purchase that pump on ebay. The seller has there own web page where you can buy the unit for $179 instead of $199.
www.rpchardware.com.au

I spoke to them today to ask a few question. I am purchasing the unit as well. Very good value. 12mth parts warranty. I asked how many they have sold... about 50 units and they have had no problems.
If your in Canberra I could perhaps ring and nego a better deal for two and the shipping would be cheaper. Anyone in Canberra interested let me know.
Just so you know I have no relation or interest in anyway to this supplier.

JML
Jeff

G0lddigg@ said:
wow that is one small flowing pump mate, a $50 bilge pump will put out 2500 GPH (9463.529 litres) it wouldn't cut it i'm affaid, i run two bilges 1100 and 2500 and i could use more pressure

Yep I agree, based on the stated flow rates it would be next to useless. But I seriously doubt its 1,100 LPM, thats way too low for this sort of pump.

The true flow rate is probably 11,000 LPM and not 1,100.. so I think their website designer made a typo. Based on the performance it gave at Tuena its a mighty little pump.. but we will see how it goes in the long term.. fingers crossed :)

I went for this pump mainly because it was cheap and very light, only 6.5 kgs, which means I can backpack the thing into some of the more remote locations.

Cheers n' beers James

Check out the pump on previous page of this thread that the "Duck" posted.....seems great at face value and would run any hi-banker by its species....Cheers wal :)

Latest posts