Sapphire Fossicking in Inverell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny

Jennifer Rowe
Reaction score
My husband Nick and I are interested in fossicking for Sapphires, Opal and other semi-precious stones. A close friend of ours got us interested in the hobby on a camping trip to Hopkins Creek.

We've just decided to go to Inverell next year for the Sapphire festival and I can't wait, we didn't even know this event existed until yesterday :)

If anyone knows of any other events or groups in NSW that we could check out we would be very grateful.

Jenny

Do you get the Gold Gem & Treasure magazine? It often has gembourees & great stories about gem fossicking in it.

Have you ever been to the Inverell Sapphire festival?

No but I've started to get into the gems as part of highbanking & panning. I come accross a few every now & then.

A high banker is used mainly to find gold. In the process I often get some nice gems as well

B038B92E-DC26-4D04-BBBB-06C19C06F48D-4459-0000019F4D2BB92D_zpsf8b67ced.jpg

Hi Jenny when you go to Inverell also check out Minerama at Glen Innes in March.

As for Inverell it also has some paid digs in the area, two of which allow camping.
Check with the information centre. It also has a nice display of gems, rocks and minerals

G'day Jenny, check out a group on facebook called "Dubbo Prospecting, fossicking and camping club", they have camping trips organised to different areas for gems etc coming up.

DaBilda said:
G'day Jenny, check out a group on facebook called "Dubbo Prospecting, fossicking and camping club", they have camping trips organised to different areas for gems etc coming up.
g'day Jenny, i am a member of this group and we just had a four day camp out inverel way chasing saphires. Do yourself a favour and get in touch with brian (he started and runs the group). you can only access it thru facebook i believe. we spent one full day at 7 oaks, which is a fossicking park. They also allow you to camp there, the people that run run it are very nice and won't leave you untill they are sure you have the technique right. Our next camp is at lightning ridge on the weekend of the 5th july