Help for a novice - GPX4500 in backyard

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nofind

Richard
Reaction score
I thought I would fire up my GPX 4500 in the back yard today and it went nuts.

I have powerlines at the back so reckon that is the problem but may be I can do something about it as wanted to do some testing.

What I did was:
1) Tried to do auto tune in mono (as have a mono loop) and got the three beeps but still went nuts when I tried to use it
2) Tried an auto tune in Cancel and this seemed better but had to leave it in cancel else it went nuts again
3) did some hunting and found a few metal pieces in the back yard
4) I buried some screws down a couple of inches and tried to find these but could not

I guess what I am asking
Should I be able to find the screws in Cancel mode?
Are there other settings I could use to help play around in the back yard?

I will be reading my manual again but some help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Howdy Rich, mate in all seriousness, give up! :eek: The 4500 is a very sensitive machine and if your surrounded by homes, cars, radio interference and Power lines, I'm afraid there's not much chance of getting it to run quite :/

Thanks mate
I thought it may be the case and will look else where

Rich

Hi Rich....definatley give the back yard a miss.....get yourself down to Pine Island../ Kambah Pool or Cassuarina Sands ....do your testing there as you wont get any interference and you should be able to pick up some coins for your troubles....Cheers Wal.

If you can't get that 4500 purring...send me a PM and i'll organize to meet u down there and run through it with you.

WalnLiz said:
Hi Rich....definatley give the back yard a miss.....get yourself down to Pine Island../ Kambah Pool or Cassuarina Sands ....do your testing there as you wont get any interference and you should be able to pick up some coins for your troubles....Cheers Wal.

If you can't get that 4500 purring...send me a PM and i'll organize to meet u down there and run through it with you.
Wal, many thanks for offer I think you will hear from me so better keep ya head down

I am doing the unforgivable and reading the manual, Page 45 states using CANCEL and a mono loop will not work. I did find a couple of surface things as mentioned above but not the screws

Wal, I can't PM yet as have not done enough posts, I will try and get down there during week as am retired and can, may try uriarah crossing. I will pm when I can.

Rich

The manual can be a bit daunting when you're new to the machine. I'm tied up this weekend but give me a call next week and we can organize a time to meet and i'll show you everything you need to know about your 4500......PM me and i'll give you my mobile number....Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
The manual can be a bit daunting when you're new to the machine. I'm tied up this weekend but give me a call next week and we can organize a time to meet and i'll show you everything you need to know about your 4500......PM me and i'll give you my mobile number....Cheers Wal.
Wal, I checked the house rules and you have to have 10 posts up before you can do PMs.

So I will have to create a few more before I can contact you via PM.

Rich

just ask a couple of questions about your machine and answer the replys ....wont take long as your already up to 7 posts. Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
just ask a couple of questions about your machine and answer the replys ....wont take long as your already up to 7 posts. Cheers Wal.

Up to 8 now. I will contact you next week at this rate. :)

Rich

Wal, you mentioned going to Pine Island and Kambah Pool, have you run in to any rangers and if so did they say something.

Rich

Bumped into one at casurina sands one day and had a great chat .....was more than happy for me to be picking up all the bottle tops and rubbish. So long as you do the right thing and fill your holes you won't have any problems. Even picked up a seringe that day and he could see the benefit of what we do ..so take care and don't just kick the sand away with bare feet....Cheers Wal, :)

Hi NoFind,
Hahaha, it's funny how we all resort to the manual when the Male Logic doesn't work...
Yep you got it right, you can only use CANCEL when you also have a DD coil connected to the control head.
Great for working under power lines, near electric fences etc.