Hornblende cab

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This stuff shows up among the garnets and is pretty hard and shiny and I thought it might be just as good cabbed as black spinel. It takes on a very high polish as you can see (finished on #60 000 diamond). It comes in pieces a bit bigger than most of the spinel we get on the CQ field as well.

16065098650_9e59d6e8ee_c.jpg

16251657362_20bb6d60a3_c.jpg

Yeah, the stuff polishes up eh? I was wondering what it would be like if taken to an insane level like #200 000 but I'm not sure there would be much point.

Yes there would be,...if you made black scrying balls for the beleivers(surely they would pay top dollar for things like that),...not to mention it would be a work of art.
Lefty said:
Yeah, the stuff polishes up eh? I was wondering what it would be like if taken to an insane level like #200 000 but I'm not sure there would be much point.

Yes there would be,...if you made black scrying balls for the beleivers(surely they would pay top dollar for things like that),...not to mention it would be a work of art.

I was actually entertaining the notion of making a round cab with the stuff and putting it in a setting as a black crystal ball with a silver/pewter wizard scrying into it, like a black palantir' from Lord of the Rings. The extreme reflectivity would add to the effect I think.

Missus probably wouldn't wear something like that herself - she likes elegant "girly-looking" jewellery :D - but I reckon it would look intruiging.

Now I actually really am thinking of taking a bit all the way to #200 000 to see if it gets significantly more reflective - when I get some grit that fine.

Latest posts