What do you carry in your 4x4?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have a 2003 pajero, have taken out the third row of seats, most of this is stored where the seats folded, and carry a tirfor winch, snatch strap, extension strap, equaliser strap, half a dozen shackles, diversion sheave, tree trunk protector, 12v air pump, tire repair sealant and tire plugs, radiator sealant, hose repair tape, fan belt, hand tools, shovel, uhf radio, spare fuses, tire valves and valve tool, hi lift jack, shovel, 10l min water, first aid kit and a hand saw and 12"bar chainsaw. have yet to get drag chain and max trax.

Where do i start
Speciality tool kit: for diffs, axles, motor.
Normal tool kit: 2 of everything sockets spanners screwdriver (2 sets of torx open and closed) torx sockets
Electrical tools: everything to repair 12 volts systems
Electrical equipment: wire, switches, fuses, relays, shrink tube (double walled) tape
Usually it is never my vehicle i am repairing?
All equipment is carried in numerous canvas bags. All marked with what's in them.

Outside:
12000 lb winch
2 H/D front eyes 1 rear from toe hitch
LED reversing flood light (must when reversing at night in the bush)
Roof racks. To carry Oztent Rv5 and fire wood.
1 canvas water bag on Xrox bar is always cool 8 litres.
In rear of vehicle:
41 Litre ENGEL fridge freezer
Onboard 150 psi compressor with 10 litre receiver. All hard wired and copper tube plumbing to outlet. 12 volt fan is wired through relay to turn on and off with a 125 psi cut off.
1 55amp Anderson plug out let for 80 watt folding solar panel. This is one way ( through a diode) to stop discharge at night.
2 x heavy duty sockets for accessories.
1 x heavy 4 ways extension sockets. (For camp site ) LED lights water pump for kitchen, tablet and computer.
300 watt inverter not hard wired.
2kg fire extingisher
Sthil 16" bar chainsaw with oil fuel tools. Axe
3 heavy black plastic box's for all the gear. 1 x30 litres 2 x 20 litre. These carry everything.
1 very large first aid kit.....trauma pack.
2 small standard kits.
Survival back pack:
First aid kit.
LORRANCE ENDURA GPS
compass
Camel back (water)
20m parra rope 3.5mm
Fishing line hooks sinkers
Sheafed hunting knife large folding knife. Pocket knife.
Diamond sharpening stick.
Fire starter.
8 spare AA batteries
Paper maps of the area i am working in.

Recovery gear:
Snapstrap, 30m extension strap, tree trunk protector, equaliser strap. 4 x snatch blocks. 6 x 4.5 tonne shackles, 4 x 3.2 tonne shackles, rear toe hitch with shackle.
Crow bar.....half crow bar, round nose shovel, square mouth shovel.
60m of general purpose cordage rope 16mm. I just love crevicing where no one has been.

Duel battery:
Start battery does nothing else but starts vehicle and runs standard accessories.
Second battery runs everything else. It never gets below 12.8 volts with my duel battery system.
It has no common earths what so ever.......so i never have voltage loss due to earth leakage
Every earth is wired back through the battery.
It operates winch, 4 x 100 watt spot lights, compressor, fridge freezer. Forward video camera. Reversing camera, Icom UHF radio, Uniden digital scanner, 6 accessory sockets (2 in rear 4 in front ) hopefully never all at once.
I can link both batterys with a switch above my head.

Prospecting equipment.
High banker, wash down hose connected to HB fittings 97cc 4 stroke pump. 2 x 15m layflat, 1 x 30m layflat. 10m suction hose & filtered one way foot valve.
Plenty of spares brakages
4 x 10 litre plastic buckets, 3 x gold pans, 3 x sucker bottles.
Picks. Shovels CreviceCracker. Crevicing tools, hand trowels, etc. etc. Plastic box for bottom of highbanking.
7 days worth of clothes.......7 days food for 2.........never know when you will be flooded in.
AT Gold metal detector.
Gum boots, gators.

Camping gear. Seriously i do not want to go there.
The semi off road camper has been ordered.

If you think that your wife takes way to much just tag along with me for a couple of days.
Wal and Liz may just pip me. Remember to check the lid on the cooking oil Wal

Nugget you did ask.
Cheers Brian....!

"Crikey" Brian, :eek: :eek: :eek: What sort of pressure do run in your tyres ???? Be needin' to tow a Troopy behind you to fit all that in mate. Definitely no room for any hitch hikers.

Sure you don't want to follow me over to Halls Creek for a couple of months.???? That bloomin' cooking oil is still all through the pantry....least the back of the Troopy won't rust.

Cheers Wal.

I read it wrong Nugget.
You did say what do you carry as a necessity.

JUST ME AND THE FRIDGE?

Wal fully loaded 38psi with air bags.
It is a landrover you know.

It all fits no problems at all.
Only room for 2 up the front.
Hence why the camper trailer is coming. Half the camping gear. No swag. Built in cooker bbq. All the gear will go in the trailer.
So i will have room for 2 extra diggers sorry i meant fellow prospectors. He he heeeeee.
As i stated all the gear is in canvas bags tool wraps it just packs flat. Not big red tool box's etc.
When we meet on the creek you will be surprised.

Dogmatic said:
The only problem is there is no room for a drivers seat :p

Hey Matt,
You are not far wrong there. If some one stole it they would be set for life.

Ps i did try to get there last weekend. Just ran out of time. Sounds like you had a good time .
Brian

Best thing i ever did was a set of drawers in the back of the 4b, used to have tubs of gear and always the thing i wanted next was on the bottom.
i try to keep it to a minimum
on roof rack - shovel and hi lift jack, and if outback the 2nd spare
dual battery, two pans, a spare tarp and fold-up chairs behind the drawers
in left hand drawer first aid kit, 12v tyre pump, tyre repair plugs, pressure gauge, snatch strap, tow strap, shackles, 12v flood light with 4m lead and weatherproof switch near light, ropes and pegs for custom side tarp shelter thingy.
right hand drawer - tool box, fishing tackle box, telescopic rod, wheel brace, hi lift jack wheel hook, my pick and spare plastic scoop, rain jacket and spare ropes/tie downs
that stuff is always in the car, and if going away the camping gear + solar panel comes along (oh and sometimes the wife and caravan).

as per all the above posts

but something to consider when we carry all this gear is how its stowed

drawers are great with a lock on the front so they cant spring open in case of a mishap

reason i mention stowage is because if you have a prangcident or rollover it can be surprising what injuries you can get by being hammered by all your equipment flying around inside the vehicle.

_even at low speeds_

Well from front to back there's; UHF, music on usb drives, good seat covers and floor mats, driver, fridge, food to go in fridge, toolbox, ropes, recovery kit, high lift jack, bottle jack, axe, sheath knife and fire starter kit, air compressor, extra shakles and tow strap, torch, sunscreen, aeroguard, maps, pry bar, crowbar, bolt cutters, extra fluids for engine, deck chair, folding table (attatched to the inside of the back door), spare tyre and my panning gear as well. Thats the usual gear for 4wding, if im headed beyond the black stump or into really difficult terrain ill take extra food, water, warm gear and also a 2nd spare if im feeling paranoid. :/

Should also point out that heavy stuff like the fridge and toolbox get strapped down then i put a trailer net over the rest so nothing gets air-born if the truck does..

Great information guys.

One thing in particular I wouldn't mind getting is a UHF. Anyone seen the movie Joy Ride? Candy Cane, come in Candy Cane... :lol:

Nugget.

Nugget said:
So if you've been following the "how many of you have a 4x4" topic you know that I recently purchased a cheap run about 4x4. Now being my first 4x4, I'm interested in knowing what people carry on board as a necessity.

Keeping in mind I'm an IT Consultant, for starters I've got a toolbox which includes a socket set, spanners, 100 mile an hour tape as well as small fire extinguisher.

What else should I carry?

Mate buy a uhf, tyre plug kit, compressor and tyre gauge, and run the right tyre pressures for the terrain, check your vehicle over b4 trip (fluids etc) some spare fuses , a shovel and an axe

Carry some food and water, a blanket or sleeping bag and first aid kit

This is the basics of what I carry 24/7

You can always add to the list as you need.

If you're going off-road, even dirt roads when it's wet, a decent set of AT (All Terrain) tyres will help a lot, make sure they are Light Truck (LT) rated.
Having straps and shackles and winches etc is all very well but you do need rated recovery points on your vehicle to attach them to. Do not use tow bars or tie-down points on the vehicle as people have been killed by incorrectly using this gear.
My basic kit has a Snatch strap, several shackles, gloves, a long handle shovel and a tyre plug kit.

SB

Forgot to add the most important - a spare bog roll

you're right guys about flying missiles - cargo barriers are also a really worth while addition.

nugget - i just went for the smallest gme uhf - the tx3100: super compact and has worked a treat.

A mini compressor is handy to have
Not only for the tyres but can use it for inflatable mattress

I belong to a 4wd club and we have lists of essentials to carry on club trips (and good for all trips of course). I carry a fair bit of gear in the back of the 80 series for recoveries, tool box and spares but also now recently have added a few basic but essential tools to a carry bag attached to the rear of the driver's seat. For example, long noses pliers, 2 spanners and a multipurpose pocket knife tool, loop and latch velcro and double sided mounting tape so that I do not have to try to get my tool box out of the drawer in the back of the 4by particularly on the steep uphills when something needs to be fixed quickly. Used them on more than one occasion including with other people's 4bys just to get going again to a more convenient spot or just to get people moving instead of spending too much time fossicking in the tool box.

Oh yes - I also carry a non-spillable water bottle so I do not get too dehydrated when I'm travelling by myself - it is surprising how many water bottles leak!

In my Pajero I carry:
  • Weaco Fridge[/*]
  • Snatch Strap[/*]
  • Snatch Block[/*]
  • Shackles[/*]
  • Tree Trunk Protector[/*]
  • Hitch Block[/*]
  • Tyre Repair kit[/*]
  • Compressor[/*]
  • Tyre Deflater[/*]
  • Tool Kit[/*]
  • Garmin GPs 62s[/*]
  • Samsung Note 8" Tablet loaded with Ozi Explorer and offroad maps mounted on a RAM floor mount and cradle[/*]
  • In car UHF and Handheld UHF[/*]

Outside:
  • High Lift jack[/*]
  • Shovel[/*]
  • IPF lights[/*]
  • Winch.[/*]

Latest posts