Found In Circulation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probly sat in someones drawer for the most of that time, then, when times got tuff it was refound n spent asap at the very place you got it in your change M3, that's why anomolous coins always still look pretty good when you find them, it's those self trained eagle eyes that pull em out of circulation just as quick as they get back in there by someone else's misfortune's in life. ;) :p 8) :cool:

Change received goes into the left pocket, once checked it goes into the right pocket, coins in the right pocket may be spent, good coins get pulled from circulation in between the left and the right pockets. Just realized lately that I can pull money for bills from the bank as coin to go through before I pay the bills at the P.O ,.... still looking for my 2000 mule $1.00 coin. ;)

I was trying to explain to the missus tonight why this coin in particular but also all the others i have collected are important to someone, i went on to tell her that i was collecting these coins out of circulation for the collector in the future, but then that made me think....... have i become the collector i am collecting for 8) :rolleyes: :lol:

Anyway i have a few other things I've found recently in circulation i wouldn't mind sharing but it seems to me that I'm the only one posting up finds on this thread at the moment so I might let someome else have a go :rolleyes: :D {)

B5MECH said:
Wavy 20c is 1966 rare defect in the 2
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6829/1481269681_20centreversetypes.jpg
very very rare but if the 67 showed up you never know
Here's another possibility to look for $1/10c mule 2000
http://blog.perthmint.com.au/2015/06/25/rare-mule-dollar-would-be-an-exceptional-find/
easy not to notice it in change unless you really look 8) :)

IIRC....the 'wavy' 20c piece came from a UK mint we had helping with production at the time, and weren't actually 'struck' here in Oz.(therefore unlikely a 1967 exists???)

It is not a 'defect' per se, as that would indicate an issue on the die...which it clearly isn't...just a different style in presentation and 'low' production numbers (before it was rectified),are what push the price up.

I do know about 5 yrs ago they listed the circulated (VF) coins at ~ $1-1200.00 and up to $4K for Gem Unc.

As to the coins with smaller indents....used to also happen with pre-decs....when you have two metals, one softer than the other, sitting on a bureau for years and years, then slam a book, hand, luggage...whatever....the softer coin gets a light impression of the harder coin, and has also been seen in coin 'clusters' that years of oxidation have banded the coins together....

Usually detected by the fact it is 'superficial' in comparison to a 10x tonne press strike....not always the way, but is one of many to explain the marks...

Just found this thread, and as a novice collector, i lean more to pre-dec's myself, but do have a few modern for 'balance'.....a few dbl bar .50c,...a few 3.5 'claw' .20c bits (Royal Canadian Mint) etc...have avoided "miss-strikes' as you never know if their real, or just doctored fakes to improved a normal circ'd. coin.

P.S....anyone find the mule $1 in their 2006 Proof Set??? 8) 8)

At any rate, i am enjoying the members finds & collections...THANKS!!

Gypsy

Got some piles of coins sitting around.
Here's a few $2 I've sort of recently pulled from circulation using the left/right pocket method. ;)
havn't got round to slipping the latest lot (over about a year) into folders yet
1486852052_20170212_074232.jpg

1486852103_20170212_074109.jpg

not the best photo's when you do group shots (sorry) :|
$1 coins too
1486852230_20170212_074427.jpg

1486852262_20170212_074528.jpg

these 20c type coins will be worth an absolute fortune one day ,.... I mean, honestly, who is gunna collect these and hold them in high esteem :lol:
1486852507_20170212_082029.jpg

1486852562_20170212_082048.jpg

actually I bought a brand new full roll of the tax ones ,..... probly one of only a few who did too ! :eek: :lol: :party: :rainbow:

Nice silver :D the $2 commemorative coins are definitely few and far between so its always nice to see one in ya change, i managed to jag an Olympic one myself the other day :D

What sort of folder do you use for your coins silver?

???...just had a look at the ACV (All Coin Values) site....i'm not sure how regular they update, but if it's frequently, have Aussie coin values 'really' depreciated by 50% (silvers at least) in the last 5x yrs???

Sure the $$ has dropped....but 50%??? :eek:

I have 4x Bank Teller bags of 1958 3d which is what caught me eye...back in 2011 McDonalds had them at $48.00 Unc. The ACV site now has them at $24.00 Unc.....

Sure, Silver took a hit as well...however, it's not like most 'collectors' buy based on either of these criteria..(well i certainly don't).

No,..most collectors buy to 'add' to the collection, or if it's rare, or exceptional cond. for item etc..not based on the Au$ or 'Silver' content 'value'...imo.

Thoughts?

GGA

Hey GGA,

I think i remember hearing something a little while ago that one of the bank notes and coins book (can't remember which one) was really inaccurate with its pricing, the prices in the book were actually alot more then what the actual item was worth, someone can correct me if im wrong but i think you'll find the latest editions will have a lesser value for each coin or bank note then the older edition books. I spose it all comes down to what that particular collector is willing to pay at the time.

I like to think that the all coin value website is pretty accurate.

I dont purchase coins for my collection, i only collect out of circulation at the moment as i have just started collected but this might change in the future :rolleyes: :)

You read it right...in 2006 an unknown, but believed to be minimal, number of 2006 Proof sets had a 2005 $1 Mule included...

Downies broke the news back in March 2006, stating that among their original 'allocation', they had found 20 sets, and later 'Colonial Coins of Brisbane' had also found a few sets...

The 2005 $1.00 coin for circulation had the Gallopoli rememberance on one iteration, while the other was the 60th Anniversary of Peace (end WWII) ..NOT the MoR (Mob of Roo's)....hence 'Mule'..

There were also a number from the mobile stamp units that 'got through' which are missing the 'mint-mark'...but are of Gallipoli, not MoR's.

So check all those MoR's you have for 2005 date... :Y: :D

M3talmiliti4 said:
Nice silver :D the $2 commemorative coins are definitely few and far between so its always nice to see one in ya change, i managed to jag an Olympic one myself the other day :D

What sort of folder do you use for your coins silver?
just in the loose plastic pages M3 ,... you can buy them seperate from any coin shops. :D
these type in the thread below ! ;) :p
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=62168#p62168

M3talmiliti4 said:
So you think these are worth holding onto silver because they have a low mintage? Or whats the reason?
Well someone else had already looked after most of them(50 centers) for around 40 years for me, the 73 is worth a bit in good nick, so, in the future even a crappy one will be worth more than 50 cents, and anything below 73 is harder to find good now anyway ,..... and any really worn ones go the way of all old worn coins when they go through the bank and get withdrawn from circulation, to be reissued as new money with a brand new date ,.... could you imagine trying to find a 73 50c coin in circulation in the year 2067 to complete your set, when the world population is 10.5 billion people(who all want something to do)
37.2 million people just in australia by then, try sharing all the old coins that are left between that lot, gunna be twice as hard as now to buy what you want just because of nearly double the people, not to mention the natural attrition effect on old coin numbers availability ,.....just gotta be around to take advantage of it all, that's gunna be the struggle of it all ! :lol:

Cheers silver thats some good insight mate :D might have to go back through all the money boxes again.

Thats what i keep telling the missus that these coins im collecting might be worth something one day, im probably never going to part with them but i see it as an investment to pass down to my children or grandchildren one day, im in my late 20's so still got a little while to go yet.

I picked up a first and last prefix new $5 dollar note the other week, in mint condition im pretty sure the only circulating they did was from the cash register at woolies and straight into my hand not a crease or dent on them, pretty sure they might be worth something in 50 years time, if not I've still got 10 bucks :rolleyes: :D ill post some pics up soon ;)

The new $5 notes I've found recently over the last few months.

General prefix with consecutive serial numbers
1486968840_20170213_151059-2016x1512.jpg

Last prefix
1486968887_20170213_151139-2016x1512.jpg

First prefix
1486968933_20170213_151216-2016x1512.jpg

All in mint condition but found in circulation.

Funny thing is a found the last prefix note before a found the first prefix :lol:

Hopefully might be worth something some day to someone :)

Latest posts