Whites GMZ detector information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozjono

jonathon
Reaction score
hello i am thinking about buying a Whites GMZ, VLF detector are they good for a first gold detector it is under $500 or is there something better i should buy i really have no idea, please help if you can thanks

I have a GMT and it is very good on really small gold to about 2 inches. I am sure it will work just as well on larger pieces deeper in the ground. They come up on ebay for around $600 from time to time. It is my first detector targeted for gold. Cheers Rick.

Bit late for a post but I have a GMZ and don't think
For the money you couldn't find a better unit that will
Find down to .06 gold. A hammer head a foot deep
and work on the beach Who else has one?
What have you found?

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Bit late for a post but I have a GMZ and don't think
For the money you couldn't find a better unit that will
Find down to .06 gold. A hammer head a foot deep
and work on the beach Who else has one?
What have you found?

Hi Zuke_Lynzy.
I have a GMZ, but I'm yet to find any gold stuff with it, mainly because I haven't swung it much. I hope to get over to Vic in the new year and have a good crack then. Works well on metal, and found a long lost ring. Simple to use. I was having a practise run up a creek in the Adelaide Hills recently(only practise mind you because you can't fossick in SA unless you get permission of the landowner or you are prepared to look in 3 gullies that have been long picked clean IMO). There is a large slab of flat bedrock which runs into the creek, maybe 40 feet long by 10 feet wide and who knows how deep. Running down the length is about a half inch wide quartz seam. I swung along it, silent as a sock, except for two small spots which beeped. My Pro Pointer didn't register it. I tried again a few weeks later and it still registers the same, so not sure if it is mineralisation, gold, or some other metal embedded within. Was good to get a noise though. Do you find much in the way of small gold with it?

I would pay the extra and buy the GMT if you are only chasing gold. But if you are going to do some coin and relic hunting or beach hunting then no. I just bought a GMT a few weeks ago and i have to say this thing is the best VLF detector i have run on variable mineralised ground. The key to this is the variable S.A.T (Self Auto tune). This adjustment works wonders in variable ground. I have run this machine with high gain settings in ground that my other VLF detectors can only run on low gain. Hope this helps.... roscoe

I have a gmt and if it stoped working I'd buy another one
The next day ' my wife uses the gmz alot, on our last trip she found
7 tiny bits of yellow largest .1 gram with the 10" coil if anyone has a
Gmz for sale cheep I'll have another one just PM me.
If your heading to tibooburra with your minelab don't forget your GMZ

If that beep you speak of over the quartz is a good beep both ways over the target with a gmz I can near bet it will be a target take a chisel and hammer with you.
If the beep becomes distorted or disappears after a few sweeps it's most likely ground noise.

Well there you go. Its good to here people are happy with the GMZ, because they sell for a real good price and work. TTK that noise you got could be a small mineralised section in that rock or yes it could be small gold pieces. This sort of thing happens all the time in gold country with a VLF, some small rocks sound just like a good target. The best thing is dig the bugger up and get on with detecting. Go and smash that rock apart and see what it is other wise it will be on your mind all the time....roscoe

Roscoe said:
Well there you go. Its good to here people are happy with the GMZ, because they sell for a real good price and work. TTK that noise you got could be a small mineralised section in that rock or yes it could be small gold pieces. This sort of thing happens all the time in gold country with a VLF, some small rocks sound just like a good target. The best thing is dig the bugger up and get on with detecting. Go and smash that rock apart and see what it is other wise it will be on your mind all the time....roscoe

hehe.... reckon I might have to... it's gnawing away at me. Thanks for the advice to all.

Howdy TTKooAU I have and Run a GMZ for about 2 years now and it's a great little machine
Iv got the standard coil, The 4x6 shooter and the 14x8 goldmax I found my first gold nugget with the goldmax coil it was a .1 gram @ 50mm deep it gave a strong signal.
Don't underestimate the std coil it will do everything you need my advise to you and all other Gmz users would be keep the Gmz with the std coil and upgrade to a PI but you will still use the Gmz I upgraded to the GMT but it wasn't really an upgrade.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Howdy TTKooAU I have and Run a GMZ for about 2 years now and it's a great little machine
Iv got the standard coil, The 4x6 shooter and the 14x8 goldmax I found my first gold nugget with the goldmax coil it was a .1 gram @ 50mm deep it gave a strong signal.
Don't underestimate the std coil it will do everything you need my advise to you and all other Gmz users would be keep the Gmz with the std coil and upgrade to a PI but you will still use the Gmz I upgraded to the GMT but it wasn't really an upgrade.

Hi Zuke,
Thanks for the reply and sounds like good advice. I'm new to the hobby, and still waiting to get my first colour target. Found plenty of rubbish as you'd know, but I'm a good digger so that's no bother for me.
It seems to work real well at the beach shooting for coins etc and the salt setting works well in that respect.

The wife made a deal with me and it goes like this "Find some gold and spend THAT money on the upgrade" ;)
Cheers TT

Zuke_Lynzy said:

Why didn't you feel the move to a gmt wasn't an upgrade, just more features but same ability? I am just researching few detectors at the moment hence why I am interested? Cheers

The reason being that I was Going alright with the GMZ
And worked out how to use it and went and spent another $1000+ on the GMT and then the learning process was all over again! The time would have been better spent on a PI.
The wife uses the GMZ now and can find and dig as many targets as me in the same time. the GMZ is the easiest detector to use and master and can be used on the beach unlike the GMT. The GMT is by far the better machine but takes a little more time to master but like all detectors you have to walk over it to find it.
More features that I never use but same ability.

Cheers, that's good to know. I have the same issue - buy used ML PI detector or high end VLF like the GMT. Thing is, is the GMT worth over $1000 compared to my Goldmaster2, will it really make that much difference, or am I just paying for extra features to basically do the same thing, it's driving me crazy!:lol:

I'm the same as the next we buy a maching work out how to use it' get board ' and then look for a excuse to upgrade . Iv got 3 machines that do the same job over Xmas I'll be using all 3 and next year doin some trading probley settle for a MXT to hunt local parks with untill whites bring out a new PI .
Where abouts are you goldpick ?

1402000736_image.jpg

Just thought I'd add a photo of gold found last year with the GMZ the largest bit is 0.9 so that should give you an idea how small they are. The GMT will find smaller searching in manual but you have to put up with a lot of noise that makes it very hard to decide to dig or not, the GMZ has turned into my goto detector for small gold using the std coil. I do have a few more tiny bits found with the Gmz but not sure which ones now but I remember these ones as the square one was the first "nugget" me and the wife found, the tiny bits all gave good signals at most a 1" deep & were all found in gully washes.

Latest posts