Aussie dollar price rises

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A major lapidary supplier has announced future price rises due to lower Aussie dollar and higher shipping costs. great for me as I sell in aussie dollars and use locally available raw products mostly. Metal prices have been dropping due to bulk buying. So now that the price war is changing I think Aussie made laps might be a little more competitive than before. Now lets see who has to compete. Shame we cant make more here.

It is a great shame we can't make more stuff here - and I'm speaking in general here - and I tend to foresee higher costs of living as import costs rise and many industries that were shuttered here during the strong currency era because imports were so cheap fail to return simply because the currency has depreciated again.

But as with anything there are always opportunities within a sour situation somewhere and I've always thought that this might be one of them. We Aussies are also fortunate that our ancient continent is blessed with it's fair share of gemmy materials.

Of course, lapidary equipment and supplies is only a little niche market and will never employ large numbers of Australians but it would still be nice to see a little domestic industry grow rather than go the way of the dinosaur like most of our productive industries have.

When the dollar was 47c US everyone had heaps to spend, exports boomed, imports dropped right off, everyone spent money locally and did not travel overseas, tourism boomed locally. This is great for the economy.

Unfortunately, I'm not yet convinced it will happen again like that though Heatho. The bulk of value-added stuff that we consume is imported because we don't make it here anymore so we'll likely have to pay more. Our exports consist largely of food and dirt and China's appetite for our dirt is leveling off - mining's contribution to our economy in normal, non-boom times is in fact smaller than the media has generally portrayed. It's a tiny employer, only 3% of the workforce at best. It is the enormous, unprecedented, decade-long boom in mining investment - the staggering sums of money poured into the construction of new mines and mining plant, railways, processing plants, smelters, ports and shiploading facilties and all the service industries that have boomed to support this that has added juice to economic growth. For every 10 jobs required (roughly) to build all these new things, only about 1 is required to operate it once complete. And we are well past the peak of the investment phase and heading down. By some estimates, mining investment reached close to 10% of the economy a short while ago - it's long term average is closer to 1-2% and that's probably where it will be again within a couple of years.

In theory, domestic manufacturers should gain a competitive edge against imports as the currency depreciates - but that assumes that we actually have all these domestic manufacturing industries ready and waiting to spring into action and expand their output. The truth is that many of them simply aren't there anymore.

I was just speaking to a bloke I know who has owned a retail business for many years (outdoor equipment) - last time the dollar plunged he found that for him it was offset by the fact that China was pumping out ever cheaper goods faster and faster and his import costs were falling fast enough to offset the falling dollar. This would have flowed on to pretty much everyone. But this process appears to have have reached a plateau. He says he has just had word from one of his main suppliers that costs are about to rise 10% due largely to the falling dollar, though this will take some time to flow on to retail.

The bottom line is that a low dollar is generally good when you are a net exporter and can produce most of what you consume for yourself. But when you import most of it, it is a high dollar that allows you to consume more for less and thus feel materially "wealthier".

So we now have a falling dollar and we have almost exhausted the other avenue for bolstering consumption - cheaper borrowed money. We now have the lowest interest rates in half a century and with an official reserve bank rate of a mere 2.5% we only have one more decent spurt left before we reach effective zero and we can't effectively make borrowing money any cheaper.

So while I hope I'm wrong, I reckon we are likely facing some stiff headwinds over the next few years :|

Latest posts