Prospecting (Gladstone Area)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

I just joined the forum and was wondering whether anyone has knowledge about the Gladstone region (Queensland) in relation to alluvial gold? I just moved here and have a SDC2300 and an Infinium LS that I use for detecting and use 4WD for transport. I already did some exploring in the area of Mount Larcom, Targinnie, O 'Connel and the Kirkwood area but found a lot of areas are privately owned or contain a lot of rubbish (barbed wire, lead shots, nails) from people. I did some research and found that south west of Calliope there were mines previously according to online research. Question is though whether that land is accessible or whether it is owned by someone? Same goes for the area around Raglan.

Does anyone know of any historical Goldfields in the Gladstone or Rockhampton region that are actually open to the public whether for a payment of a fee or not or do I need to drive to Clermont to have a real chance of finding Gold?

Cheers,
Fabos

Hi Fabos,

I know the area well, Gladstone, Calliope, Many Peaks are gold bearing areas, but mainly fine reef gold not suitable for detecting, though I have heard of a few nuggets being found, but don't know if it was factual. Norton Goldfields just out of Calliope is in operation again and would be a possibility for your 2300 if you could gain permission to detect there. Approx. 50 Kms NW of Rockhampton is a good area for nuggets, and if you do a Google search for Rockhampton Gold Nugget finds etc., you will come up with a few areas.

Mount Larcom's gold is fine and you can get it in the creeks from the mountain, it is very dull and brassy looking. if you are exploring Mount Larcom, be very careful as there are many deep shafts that give no warning to there existence.

Cheers

To further answer your question - As far as I know, most of the mining areas are either privately owned or under Miners lease, there is no designated fossicking areas or any worthwhile crown land in that area. Once you find an area that you like you will need to gain the owners permission.

Good luck :)

Hey Oldfella.

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look into the Norton Goldfield and see who is in charge of the operation out there and attempt to get permission.

In relation to Rockhampton I already did some research into this and found an old map where Gold Diggings are marked just north of Canoona near the Fitzroy River but my feeling is that this area will also be owned by someone. I might have to drive out there and try to make contact.

The mine shafts at Mount Larcom I had no idea about. Do you know where those shafts are located? I climbed to the summit once and could not see any signs of a mine shaft near the walking track. Sounds interesting enough to explore the area.

Hi Newbie

I'm in yeppoon if you want all details on canoona I have them but cant put them on site Ive been there many times.

Margaret

In regards to Mount Larcom, I have found over a dozen shafts and some really interesting adits, most of these can be found on the eastern side of the mountain about half way, there's a small road that that takes you partially up the mountain, this will take you past the old Government mine that is part trench with a shaft or two, in the small valley leading up to the peek(Just North of peek) has several very deep shafts, and at the end of this valley there is a multi level set of adits on top of one another - looks good :)

The mountain is riddled with them and some of the locals pump water from the mines for irrigation - well, it was so when I last explored them around 10 years ago :) .

I don't know how much is privately owned now as the Shale Oil company there has bought out a lot of the properties over the last few years but there should be some good spots for you to try. From memory they were getting 4g per ton average on the producing mines.

Cheers

Hey OldFella.

I did some exploring today on Mount Larcom and I found one of those shafts just opposite the car park where you go on to the walking track. Its on the eastern side when you come from Targinie. I also found diggings nearby. I did some detecting with the 2300 but only found pieces of lead and a lot of rubbish like rusty buckets, some sort of a cleaning table, metal sheets. There is definitely signs of past mining activities but I did not find any gold yet. I will try it again at a later date and maybe walk the track to see whether I can find a shaft on the way. A warning sign about shafts is posted before the start of the track.

Photos are attached

1417268743_img_0223_small.jpg

1417268818_img_0222_small.jpg

:) There's lots for you to see, especially if to follow the small valley up just on the NE side of the peek, some of these shafts, you cannot see the bottom. From memory you will find that there is a line of shafts that run approx. N/S these are in the valley.

I could be wrong, but if the walking trail entrance is the same one that I remember, the property access road that gives access to a lot of the mines is a little south of it. I used to park my ute at the Government mine and walk up the valley several hundred meters to the end of the small creek, this is where you will find the multi level adits.

Cheers

Hi Oldfella.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure whether this has changed since you last visited Mount Larcom but I have uploaded a Google Earth screenshot with a marker where the car park and the start of the walking track is. The car park is on the East side of Mount Larcom. A small gravel track runs from Wilson Road to the car park. The track continues but its a dead end with another gate. Not sure whether other sides are accessible at this stage with a lot of private and/or company property next to the mountain.

If you go further south on the main road its all private property now. There are a few roads but I found that some of them are closed off by gates and others are dead end with private property at that end.

I could probably walk the trail which might lead to the North East side and then have a look.

1417355505_screenshot.jpg

Hi Fabos,

This is the first time that I have looked at the Google Earth shot of the area, as Its been 10, may be more years since I was in the Targinie area. From what I can see in the shot, the access road from memory is still in the valley at Targinie but just south of it. The road heads in, swings left and climbs the mountain to the south, swinging around to the west as it climbs. As you just enter the road from the Targinie road and have done the first left you should notice diggings on your left hand side (Government Mine), these are above the Targinie road. If you walk the other direction - West, you will be on the edge of the valley that I have been talking about, this is where the deep shafts and adits were, though it's a fair walk.

All I can suggest is as you head out to Targinie, try all the roads and tracks that look like they lead up to the mountain and you should find the one I'm talking about.
Try the tracks/roads a little further north as well.
Good luck mate :)

Late to the postings but there is an alternative site. Its on the southern side of the mountian, near lady larcom. There are creekbeds with good running shallow water and is mostly untouched. Due to its owned by someone and has a nice big private property sign. The road is accessible for the communications teams who have towers on the mountians, I know cause I was just up there putting them back together for a company.

You could try to get permission and fossick / detect around those creeks and then follow it up to the top, you need a serious 4x4 but can drive a good distance to the top just under Mt Larcom. Great views as always.

If you want more details flick me a PM

Bit late also but ..... not sure which road heads up to the towers now - is it the one past the sub station?? Have been up there but long time ago ... Little Mt Larcom's a little hard to find on Google .....

Of course! Between the two mango farms on the right traveling northward ..... yeah been in there, a lot of years ago when I wasn't really chasing gold ..

Hello forum just interested in finding gold around mt larcom i also own a xterra 705 cool182 starting to think its only good for barbed wire and hot rocks i have found plenty of lead also dug more holes then finds though if your doing nothing this weekend wanna check out mt larcom ? I also have a farm we can detect. Lots of quartz thinkin i need to buy a better detector like the gpz7000 Godzilla of all detectors. So has any one got a gpx i can borrow?

I really need to find some gold to pay for 1. Any one in the Gladstone region have a gpx i can borrow for a day or two will pay for use.

Heatho said:
Quartzman said:
So has any one got a gpx i can borrow?
Uuuum I don't think anyone will lend you one mate, there are prospecting shops that hire them........

Unfortunatly the only prospecting shop in cq is out in clermont which is about 4 hours drive from rocky and about 5 and a half from gladstone, maybe on day we will be lucky enough to have one in rocky or glady.

Hi Quartzman, I have the SDC and gpx4500 new14" elite coil. Give me a hoy and we'll both have a swing around ya property. Due to work will have to be after Feb 8th. I live out at Tannum Sands. Yell out if ya keen.

Hey polky - Lost track of a friend I used to prospect with years ago and think he may still live somewhere in Tannum. He had a white detector back then, but he loved working the creek panning and spent a lot of time in "Cornwalls Gully" in town here (where I originally met him!)

He'd be in his fifties by now and I know it's not much to go be but his first name is Tony ......... long shot but doesnt hurt to ask.

Latest posts